Healthy Icecream

Is there any healthy icecream recipe that doesn't contain cream or any dairy products?

Replies

• discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    I've heard you can mash up frozen bananas and it tastes pretty good.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Apparently you can chop up ripe bananas, freeze them, and then put them in a blender to make banana "ice cream". I've done it before, but I at least have to add a little skim milk to give them a creamier texture.

That said, I found that the banana sadness that I created really wasn't that much different calorically (caloricly?) from a serving of actual ice cream, so I threw that ish out and never tortured myself in that manner again. Now I just enjoy ice cream/gelato in moderation within my calorie allowance if I want it.

Also, there is nothing unhealthy about dairy, so the absence of dairy/cream in ice cream does not make it more "healthy" for you unless you're lactose intolerant.
  • Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Try substituting full fat coconut milk for cream in the recipe. It will make it a tiny bit icy, but it will still have that creaminess to it.
  • Laramary602
    Laramary602 Posts: 52 Member
    I did it many times but i'm getting bored of it
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    No recipe but there must be a ton on the internet. Wholefoods has a great choice of non dairy ice cream. I have tried Purely Decadent Chocolate Obsession. Really good. Chocolate ice cream with what tastes like chunks of Nutella in it. Non dairy of course.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Are you lactose intolerant?
  • Laramary602
    No im not , but adding cream to fruits adds more calories

• Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Is it possible that on days you're really craving ice cream you could simply save enough calories out to enjoy a serving of regular ice cream?
  • Laramary602
    No recipe but there must be a ton on the internet. Wholefoods has a great choice of non dairy ice cream. I have tried Purely Decadent Chocolate Obsession. Really good. Chocolate ice cream with what tastes like chunks of Nutella in it. Non dairy of course.
    Sounds interesting (chocolate ❤️) i'll google it and try it thanks.
  • Mmd1929
    Mmd1929 Posts: 6 Member
    Kemp's Fat Free, No Sugar Added Frozen Yogurt. 140 calories. Yummy
  • Laramary602
    Jaxxie1181 wrote: »
    Is it possible that on days you're really craving ice cream you could simply save enough calories out to enjoy a serving of regular ice cream?
    Ya i could, i always crave icecream, thanks for your advice
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Take one frozen banana, 6 unsweetened almond milk ice cubes, 1 teaspoon of sweeter of choice, 1/4 cup of milk, 1tspn vanilla essence berries or flavourings of choice. Whizz in blender till smooth. It's not quite ice cream, I kinda prefer the individual tubs ice cream calories and all but nice as a change.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I don't see anything inherently unhealthy about having some regular ice cream from time to time in a serving size that is appropriate to your goals.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    No im not , but adding cream to fruits adds more calories

Try sorbets. They're typically dairy free, mostly fruit based. But they will have sugar to help control the frozen texture.

Or just make room in your daily calorie allowance for a small serving of whatever you want. Someone on here suggested Snickers ice cream bars recently and they're awesome and only 190 calories per bar.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Jaxxie1181 wrote: »
    Ya i could, i always crave icecream, thanks for your advice

Also frozen yogurts are pretty good too, some being around 110-120 per serving depending on brand.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Im always amazed by how few calories ice cream has in it compared to other things.
    Id switch down to frozen yoghurt. Sometimes people ry to mimic real food and for me it goes too far and id have the real thing just less of it or if I had to exercise more.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    A serving of Talenti is about 200-210 calories. I'd rather work that into my day and enjoy the hell out of it than eat frozen mashed bananas and try and tell myself it's ice cream. I don't think then Ben and Jerry's FroYo is much less caloricly than the Talenti and the Sicilan Pistachio is amazing (and oh so worth the calories).
  • Laramary602
    Not all the brands that are metioned above are available in my country (middle east) but i'll try looking up at supermarket
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    My healthy ice cream is ice cream. Most of the ice cream I eat (Hood, Friendly's, Edy's, etc) is only 160-170 calories a serving. Not that hard to work in and would much rather eat real ice cream than a frozen banana that's pretending to be ice cream.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Just eat ice cream. You're not lactose intolerant (or vegan), so there's no reason to avoid dairy. The Dreyers/Edys Slow Churned ice cream has pretty decent macros, and it's not made out of freaking bananas.