Healthy Icecream

2»

Replies

• Laramary602
    Laramary602 Posts: 52 Member
    A serving of Talenti is about 200-210 calories. I'd rather work that into my day and enjoy the hell out of it than eat frozen mashed bananas and try and tell myself it's ice cream. I don't think then Ben and Jerry's FroYo is much less caloricly than the Talenti and the Sicilan Pistachio is amazing (and oh so worth the calories).
    I'll try to find this branch in the supermarket thank you
  • FizzyToast
    FizzyToast Posts: 7 Member
    I have Braums frozen chocolate frozen yogurt soft serve in a small waffle cone once a week. Their website puts it at 245 but I over estimate and stick it at 300 because lets face it, it's too damn good and sometimes those girls put what feels like a whole lot more than 5 oz of soft serve.

My bf and I do the frozen banana smoothies every couple of weeks when my ice cream craving gets too far. we share 4 oz of banana, 2 oz frozen mango chunk, half tbsp creamy peanut butter, 2 oz fresh chopped strawberry (somewhere in there) A heaping tablespoon of baking cocoa powder (unsweetened), and 3 tbsp of organic vanilla soy milk.

I'm one of the guilty ones that I don't weigh my peanut butter so I could have a goof in there somewhere but splitting that amount between us is around 155 cal each. (allotting for peanut butter)
    We like the frozen fruit smoothies.

Mix it up with different frozen fruits, more or less peanut butter or cocoa powder. It's not the same thing but it's still good.

For real ice cream, fit it into your calorie goals. Life changes in eating shouldn't mean restriction, just moderation.
  • Laramary602
    Just eat ice cream. You're not lactose intolerant (or vegan), so there's no reason to avoid dairy. The Dreyers/Edys Slow Churned ice cream has pretty decent macros, and it's not made out of freaking bananas.
    Thank you, and yes im sick of bananas im fooling myself freezing some mashed banana and pretending that i am eating icecream

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited June 2015
    Here is a link to an ice cream discussion and group is in the thread. There's a lot of successful MFPers who enjoy ice cream and gelato in moderation (amongst other things). Check it out here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10113051/join-the-gelato-and-ice-cream-group

No mush bananas and Artic Zero allowed.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Is there any healthy icecream recipe that doesn't contain cream or any dairy products?

No...because minus cream/dairy, it's not ice cream.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I don't see anything inherently unhealthy about having some regular ice cream from time to time in a serving size that is appropriate to your goals.
    +1

• br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Sweet freedom 90 calories per half cup.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I don't see anything inherently unhealthy about having some regular ice cream from time to time in a serving size that is appropriate to your goals.

Which, at least for me, means more than the actual serving size listed on the nutrition label, because 64 grams of ice cream is a freaking joke. I eat at least 100 grams as my "serving," but I prefer 150 grams if I can fit it into my macros.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Mix whey protein and greek yogurt...add fillers (fruit, nuts, etc.) to your preference. Place in freezer.

Here's the ingredient list and nutrition breakdown of my latest batch:

1.00 container (32 oz. ea.), Greek Yogurt Plain Nonfat
    6.00 scoop, Cinnamon Roll Impact Whey
    1.00 oz (about 24 almonds), Almonds, Raw (Costco)
    1.00 Medium, Banana
    10.00 raspberries, Raspberries - Raw

Servings 8.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 180
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 3 g 4 %
    Saturated Fat 1 g 3 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 5 mg 2 %
    Sodium 48 mg 2 %
    Potassium 186 mg 5 %
    Total Carbohydrate 12 g 4 %
    Dietary Fiber 1 g 4 %
    Sugars 8 g
    Protein 26 g 53 %
    Vitamin A 0 %
    Vitamin C 3 %
    Calcium 21 %
    Iron 1 %
  • Laramary602
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Mix whey protein and greek yogurt...add fillers (fruit, nuts, etc.) to your preference. Place in freezer.

Here's the ingredient list and nutrition breakdown of my latest batch:

1.00 container (32 oz. ea.), Greek Yogurt Plain Nonfat
    6.00 scoop, Cinnamon Roll Impact Whey
    1.00 oz (about 24 almonds), Almonds, Raw (Costco)
    1.00 Medium, Banana
    10.00 raspberries, Raspberries - Raw

Servings 8.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 180
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 3 g 4 %
    Saturated Fat 1 g 3 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 5 mg 2 %
    Sodium 48 mg 2 %
    Potassium 186 mg 5 %
    Total Carbohydrate 12 g 4 %
    Dietary Fiber 1 g 4 %
    Sugars 8 g
    Protein 26 g 53 %
    Vitamin A 0 %
    Vitamin C 3 %
    Calcium 21 %
    Iron 1 %
    Thank you so much

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    No im not , but adding cream to fruits adds more calories

More calories does not = unhealthy, and I find it's not too difficult to save room for a serving of ice cream (200-250 calories, as others have said).

That said, have you tried sorbets? I think they are delicious also.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-sorbet-with-any-fruit-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-205746
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    kristydi wrote: »
    No im not , but adding cream to fruits adds more calories

Try sorbets. They're typically dairy free, mostly fruit based. But they will have sugar to help control the frozen texture.

Or just make room in your daily calorie allowance for a small serving of whatever you want. Someone on here suggested Snickers ice cream bars recently and they're awesome and only 190 calories per bar.

Yes! It's not ice cream, but sorbet is delicious if you want a lower calorie frozen treat. A whole pint of Haagen dasz raspberry sorbet is 480 calories. I split one with my boyfriend so that's only 240 calories, easy enough to save that many cals for my treat!
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Can you have regular ice cream?