Is A Calorie Really A Calorie?

123578

Replies

  • Philp0718
    Philp0718 Posts: 136 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Weight loss/gain-wise, yes. Nutrition-wise, no.

    /thread

  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,478 Member
    yarwell wrote: »
    MaiLinna wrote: »
    He believes in quality of food, not quantity
    If he eats over maintenance, even if it's organic unicorn, he'll gain weight. Period.

    Inevitably, as "maintenance" means "the amount of food to stay the same weight"
    Apparently not inevitably, if you've read OP's boyfriend's thoughts on the matter.

    Definition of "maintenance" is key. If taken as a number off an estimator then you can eat more than that and not gain weight. If your actual maintenance calorie requirement then no.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    a calorie is just a calorie

    Food and calories are synonyms. Not all calories swallowed are absorbed. Not all foods of same calories affect your body the same. Thinking nutritiion or weight control is 100% about calories is a gross over simplification.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    1. You may want to get off of MFP for a while - obsessing is only going to make things worse for you.
    2. Why did you pass out? Was it because you really didn't want to eat calories at that time? You say you suffered from low blood sugar problems before. As someone who also suffers from low blood sugar at times, I have NEVER gone from fine to passing out within the matter of a minute. I have other signs first and make sure I eat something BEFORE it gets too serious. If you legitimately didn't know your sugar was dropping and then passed out that's one thing, but if you started feeling symptoms but ignored them because you didn't feel like eating because you're obsessing over calories that's a huge problem.

    When I started on this journey it was hard because I think my body started to confuse wanting to eat with needing to eat, but even then, I never passed out from my blood sugar dropping. Once I started getting symptoms of clamminess, shaking, loss of concentration, I reached for anything to eat because, as someone else said, the calories were worth preventing me from getting worse. I didn't care if I went over at that point. And, if you know it's an issue and you're that worried about the calories, keep stuff on hand that you can WORK INTO you daily caloric goals - like nuts and fruit.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    amwood1528 wrote: »
    To answer your question, yes, a calorie is a calorie. However, what you eat depends on how the food effects your body. For example, in the documentary, Fed up, they used 160 calories of almonds and compared it to 160 calories of Coke. Yes, it's the same amount of calories but the coke produces a lot of sugar that turned into fat, while the almonds produced fiber. So, you can eat 3,000 calories of veggies and fruits and be fine compare to 3,000 calories of processed fatty foods. Calories are a form of measurement however.


    Lol, no.

  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Every time I see this topic:

    giphy.gif
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    MaiLinna wrote: »
    He believes in quality of food, not quantity
    If he eats over maintenance, even if it's organic unicorn, he'll gain weight. Period.

    Please post a recipe
  • Sami76
    Sami76 Posts: 6 Member
    A calorie is a calorie UNLESS your body did not process the entire food source and therefore did not "absorb" all the energy of that food. This happens most often with natural whole foods like almonds, fruits and veggies with thick skins and fibrous insides. So your boyfriend is right- quality has something to do with how your body uses the fuel you feed it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    MaiLinna wrote: »
    He believes in quality of food, not quantity
    If he eats over maintenance, even if it's organic unicorn, he'll gain weight. Period.

    Please post a recipe

    http://britishlibrary.typepad.co.uk/digitisedmanuscripts/2012/04/unicorn-cookbook-found-at-the-british-library.html
    Taketh one unicorne...marinade in cloves and garlic, and then roast[] on a griddle.

    "The cookbook's compiler, doubtless Geoffrey Fule himself, added pictures in its margins, depicting the unicorn being prepared and then served."

    It doesn't say if it's organic unicorn, but in the 14th century I'd guess yes.

    I understand that Edward III was really into organics, as well as warring on France.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    MaiLinna wrote: »
    He believes in quality of food, not quantity
    If he eats over maintenance, even if it's organic unicorn, he'll gain weight. Period.

    Please post a recipe

    http://britishlibrary.typepad.co.uk/digitisedmanuscripts/2012/04/unicorn-cookbook-found-at-the-british-library.html
    Taketh one unicorne...marinade in cloves and garlic, and then roast[] on a griddle.

    "The cookbook's compiler, doubtless Geoffrey Fule himself, added pictures in its margins, depicting the unicorn being prepared and then served."

    It doesn't say if it's organic unicorn, but in the 14th century I'd guess yes.

    I understand that Edward III was really into organics, as well as warring on France.

    You win the internet today my friend...
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    I'm trying to wrap my head around a non-organic unicorn. I mean, come on, these can't REALLY exist, right?
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    MaiLinna wrote: »
    He believes in quality of food, not quantity
    If he eats over maintenance, even if it's organic unicorn, he'll gain weight. Period.

    Please post a recipe

    Only if the organic unicorn was grass-fed antibiotics- and hormone-free ethically sourced from a local farmer and was then caught personally by you and cooked in the best of paleo traditions and not barbecued because burnt meat is bad and incidentally is that sauce you're serving with it sugar/aspartame/preservative free...?!
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    MaiLinna wrote: »
    He believes in quality of food, not quantity
    If he eats over maintenance, even if it's organic unicorn, he'll gain weight. Period.

    Please post a recipe

    http://britishlibrary.typepad.co.uk/digitisedmanuscripts/2012/04/unicorn-cookbook-found-at-the-british-library.html
    Taketh one unicorne...marinade in cloves and garlic, and then roast[] on a griddle.

    "The cookbook's compiler, doubtless Geoffrey Fule himself, added pictures in its margins, depicting the unicorn being prepared and then served."

    It doesn't say if it's organic unicorn, but in the 14th century I'd guess yes.

    I understand that Edward III was really into organics, as well as warring on France.

    Oh... My...

    With cloves and garlick, I see.... Forget my comments about the sauce then :)


  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,145 Member
    here is my contribution OP

    500 calories of donuts = 500 calories of carrots from an energy perspective; however, they are not nutritionally the same.

    Therefore, you should adhere to the following:

    calorie deficit for straight weight loss
    micro/macro adherence for body recomposition and overall health.

    What this means is that in the context of your overall diet you should be eating nutrient dense foods to hit your micros/macros but there is nothing wrong with incorporating things like pizza, ice cream, cookies, etc.

    and in for the inevitable, well "yea, you could eat 1200 calories of twinkie and lose weight but you would not be healthy.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    If she dumps her genius boyfriend, she'll definitely lose weight.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,145 Member
    amwood1528 wrote: »
    To answer your question, yes, a calorie is a calorie. However, what you eat depends on how the food effects your body. For example, in the documentary, Fed up, they used 160 calories of almonds and compared it to 160 calories of Coke. Yes, it's the same amount of calories but the coke produces a lot of sugar that turned into fat, while the almonds produced fiber. So, you can eat 3,000 calories of veggies and fruits and be fine compare to 3,000 calories of processed fatty foods. Calories are a form of measurement however.

    what?

    so I can eat 3000 calories of vegetables, be in a surplus and not gain ...but the minute I go over to 3000 calories of processed foods I will gain???

  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    To put it simply:

    ~For weight loss: calories in < calories out
    ~For body composition (maximize fat loss and minimize muscle loss): eat enough protein and do some sort of progressive resistance training routine
    ~For overall health: eat enough fats and micronutrients (especially fiber), get enough sleep, stay hydrated, maybe do some cardio and be sure not to overdo it with exercise (rest days are as important as lifting days)
    ~For your sanity: don't cut out foods you love for no medical reason. Be consistent and patient, but not obsessive.

    That's my thoughts in a nutshell.

    Also, is it possible that you're hypoglycemic? I am and I have gotten dizzy and vomited bile from a lack of food from an extended period of time. You will like benefit from eating small meals throughout the day or snacks in between each meal. Also, in light of the recent theme of topics on the forum, you will likely not benefit from doing low carb... But this is assuming that you're like me. Health should come first, always before weight loss (assuming you're not morbidly obese in which case I would put the two goals on the same level.... And now I'm babbling because I'm guessing you're not morbidly obese).
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    A calorie is a calorie. But a sandwich, is just not a sandwich without the tangy taste of Miracle Whip.

    Well that just may be a Sandwich ... But a Manwich is a Meal, right?

    219d277afc65a19ea907190d29e1bb48.235x300x1.jpg

  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Miracle Whip and Manwiches both suck.

    If you have ground beef and hamburger buns, make a freaking hamburger. With mustard.