Benefits of Walking?

Options
I usually only have about 30 minutes that I can get away from baby to exercise. In that time I'll usually go for a walk at a brisk pace. I usually only burn about 150 calories though. I'm curious if this is enough to see a difference. The walking has been paired with good nutrition. What has walking done for you?

Replies

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Can't you take baby with you and have a longer walk? :)
  • annetaryn
    annetaryn Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Can't you take baby with you and have a longer walk? :)

She usually gets a little crazy after 20 minutes haha. I can also go faster without the stroller :) thank you though!
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Health benefits yes. See a difference in what exactly? Your health or your weight?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    annetaryn wrote: »
    I usually only have about 30 minutes that I can get away from baby to exercise. In that time I'll usually go for a walk at a brisk pace. I usually only burn about 150 calories though. I'm curious if this is enough to see a difference. The walking has been paired with good nutrition. What has walking done for you?

Yes, 30 minutes a day will definitely help your heart and your leg muscles. You eat for weight loss, you exercise for fitness.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Even 30 minutes of walking is beneficial. More would be better, but take what you can get.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    150 calories per day would be about 1.28 pounds of extra weight lost per month. Over 15 pounds a year. And it might make you feel better. Also, I found a quarter this morning.
  • annetaryn
    Options
    Health benefits yes. See a difference in what exactly? Your health or your weight?

See a difference in weight. Probably won't make much of a change but I bet health benefits are a bonus.
  • annetaryn
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Yes, 30 minutes a day will definitely help your heart and your leg muscles. You eat for weight loss, you exercise for fitness.

That's true. So I'll continue eating how I have been. Weigh ins Sunday!
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

See a difference in weight. Probably won't make much of a change but I bet health benefits are a bonus.

It won't make much of a difference but you don't need walking to lose weight. Like another poster said, exercise is for fitness and "diet" is for weight loss. As long as you eat less than you burn, then you should lose weight.

This thread has some good information, in fact you don't even have to read the whole thread (but you really should, its so good!) you can just read the first post:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

• playmadcats
    playmadcats Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    What would you be doing if you weren't doing that 30min walk? In my case reading or maybe watching TV. With both those pastimes I'm tempted to nibble so regardless of calorie burn I'm more active, plus not snacking my daily calories away.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

It gets me to the ice cream parlor for my triple fudge sundae!
  • LisaR86
    LisaR86 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you can up your time to 40-45 min, the benefits are even greater. You could even split up the time if needed. The baby weighted walk also be beneficial.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It improves your cardiovascular health and puts pink in your cheeks and spring in your step. Walking is the top recommended exercise for people with back problems. You can increase the intensity by changing your pace, or even walking backwards now and again.
  • annetaryn
    Options

It won't make much of a difference but you don't need walking to lose weight. Like another poster said, exercise is for fitness and "diet" is for weight loss. As long as you eat less than you burn, then you should lose weight.

This thread has some good information, in fact you don't even have to read the whole thread (but you really should, its so good!) you can just read the first post:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
    I'll take a look at that! Thank you! :)
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    A walk is obviously better than sitting on the couch.You might be able to maximize the value of your time by doing something else though if that's what you're really interested in. Just two examples: you could start introducing small jogging intervals (look up C25K program) or a fitness DVD like T25, which is less than 30 minutes but could be a good workout for you.
  • annetaryn
    Options
    What would you be doing if you weren't doing that 30min walk? In my case reading or maybe watching TV. With both those pastimes I'm tempted to nibble so regardless of calorie burn I'm more active, plus not snacking my daily calories away.

I'd most likely be in the couch, I guess a walk is the better option! This is a good way of looking at it.
  • annetaryn
    Options
    A walk is obviously better than sitting on the couch.You might be able to maximize the value of your time by doing something else though if that's what you're really interested in. Just two examples: you could start introducing small jogging intervals (look up C25K program) or a fitness DVD like T25, which is less than 30 minutes but could be a good workout for you.
    I'll look those up! Are they free workouts? I'm sure there are youtube videos that I can take a look at. I need to use these 30 minutes in the best way!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    walking is a good low impact exercise...as with any exercise, it is going to be very good for your health. but your weight loss is going to be more attributable to your diet. try to look at fitness for the sake of fitness and health rather than weight.

I cycle quite a bit...around 60 miles per week or more, and I lift weights a few days per week...I've lost weight, maintained weight, and gained weight doing that...the difference between losing, maintaining, and gaining was how much I was eating, not the exercise.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    What has walking done for you?

58841349.png
  • dwozniak16
    dwozniak16 Posts: 146 Member
    Options

To be completely honest I think walking was the best exercise I've ever done for myself.
    I essentially walked off most of my weight that I lost. I think my first 3 months of eating right and just walking daily i lost 45 pounds. Right now I'm at 85 lost with weights included.