Help! I absolutely dread excercising...

Options
I dread it to the point where sometimes I will drive to the gym and sit in the car for an hour before FINALLY going in (or occasionally I'll change my mind and go home). I listen to music to make it a bit better. Any tips on overcoming this resistance and just excercising? Another way of thinking about it?

Replies

• MLB24
    MLB24 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Think of the final results
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    then why are you doing what you are doing?

stop doing it...find something you like better...or least objectionable...

I love my exercise...very rarely do I not want to do it...
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Wow...an hour...that sounds awful! You need to find something you enjoy doing! I would start trying different types of exercising; biking, hiking, running, swimming, etc...because you've got to find something you actually love to do...that way you'll want to do it! Or maybe talk to your doctor about getting on some sort of anti-anxiety medication...that could help.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    then why are you doing what you are doing?

Second the bolded. Find something you enjoy then it won't feel like a chore.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Find different exercises that you DO like?
  • tdecel
    tdecel Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I exercise almost daily. My wife on the other hand, exercises "seasonally" and had your same attitude.

I got her taking Zumba classes at the gym the past couple of weekends. She is just a newbie, but so far she loves it so far.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Maybe start with exercises you can do at home rather than going to the gym. If you are just starting out and new to exercising then I don't blame you for not liking it. I didn't like it either - before. It will grow on you, but you have to push yourself to do it (thats if you really want to). Keep in mind that weight loss is possible without exercise.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    "HTFU"
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    You really need a friend to go with that way you keep one another intrested by talking out your accomplishments having a workout friend would be great for you. Of coarse you can do that here to we will all have open eyes and look forward to reading about what you have done. Now make that drive to the gym count then let us know what you did.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Is it the gym or the exercise?

If it's the gym, try doing videos at home or download a running app (C25K is a good walk/run training app).

If it's the exercise itself, what is it that puts you off? Is it not knowing what exercises to do, is it getting out of breath, is it boredom, etc?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    what they all said find soemthing that involves movement which you cna put up with, it doesnt have to be the gym.

Have you worked out what it is about the gym that makes you dislike it?

Find that out and then you will be closer to your solution.
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, OP. I have always hated exercising, but I only sit in the car for half an hour outside the gym. I am so tired all the time, but, rather than energizing me, exercising makes me more tired. I can't stay awake and I fall asleep in inappropriate situations. I can't offer advice, but I wanted to let you know that you are not alone.
  • socksoffortitude
    socksoffortitude Posts: 69 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    What has helped me is realizing it is a way to release. It's a stress reliever. I love reading and gaming, but I'm turning my exercise into my "me time". Think of it as your meditation, where you can be you, whilst improving yourself at the same time. Start slow. The goal is so you don't think of it as a chore. :)
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    [Then] why are you doing what you are doing?

There is a trend to the advice that I think most people are going to completely agree with.

Like you, I am not a good gym member either, but I do like biking, hiking, swimming, walking, martial arts training, and other activities. For me, they are fun to do. I do need to add into the mix some more strength training, but there are great "at-home" routines that don't take me that long to do.

Find things that are not "exercise", but are fun physical pursuits.
  • pianoplaya94
    pianoplaya94 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I've been going to the gym for over 2 years so I'm definitely not new. But I have also been dreading going for those 2 years... I go about 4 - 5 times a week.

I don't mind the gym aspect of it. It's the actual exercising I don't like. Probably a combination of running out of breath and boredom. I sometimes run which I like slightly better but it is just not the same intensity as the gym which I find is the best for weight loss.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    This is more illuminating.
    Do you use music?
    Have you tried other forms of exercise, other machines or classes? HIIT?
    Sports?

I know a bit of where you are coming from, but to kill the boredom then its a bit of what everyone was saying= focus and know why, easier if you do something you enjoy, bit of just get on with it.

I record all my times so have been able to see the performance increases over time, do you do that? When I use music it helps me relax and as I use times as well it helps me focus. Its only a small % of people you see at the gym who really go for it and it seems far more common to see people going through the motions.

Are you doing weights? How long are you running for? I find in most situations its faster and more rewarding to get on with it than the energy you could waste over fretting.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I would think I would hate wasting that much time doing literally nothing with my life- rather than going in and doing 30 minutes of work.

wasting time annoys me. Working out- not so much. But like cleaning annoys me- and I hate doing it- I'll only put it of for so long- because wasting time doing nothing is a waste- but if I just suck it up and clean- then I only feel like I wasted 30 minutes in stead of an hour procrastinating.

Suck it up and do it.
    While you're doing that - look at other things with long terms goals- exercising aimlessly IS aggravating. But when you have a goal- that makes it more worth while. So find something you like- and or find some long term goals- but stop wasting your life away procrastinating- that's just silly.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Have you tried classes and/or videos? A lot of times just the mental focus involved in following an instructor makes the time pass more quickly. My old gym had the cardio machines facing the weights area so there was plenty to focus on (ie boys picking up heavy things and putting them back down) but after I moved the elliptical/treadmill/stairmaster got WAY boring in a hurry.