Insulin resistant

Options

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    BILLBRYTAN wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »

Supplements are NOT harmless and no one should take them without a doctor saying they should.
    Thousands of people die from drugs that physicians told them to take. I have been unable to find a single instance of death from supplement use. Prescription drugs kill more people than the illegal ones but nobody even blinks because physicians are their gods.

[/quote]

No one ever? You sure?

Hmm guess my pt who had died from hypercalciemia from accidentally taking too many calcium supplements, who was in her mid 30s, must have died from something else?
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Low carb diet for Insulin Resistance (ie, limit bread, potatoes, starchy veggies)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Being prescribed Metformin and then told to eat bread sounds to me like a good way to ensure taking Metformin for a long time. Did the diet plan and prescription come from the same Doctor?
  • pedidiva
    Options
    This is a good TED talk. This doc has reversed diabetes in her patients with a low carb diet.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sarah+hallberg+tedx
  • pedidiva
    Options
    Dr Sarah Hallberg youtube
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I lost 7lbs in the first week but it was just the weight that I gained the week before. I'm now back to the same weight that I have been for over a year and can't lose no matter what I do. The doctor told me to follow this diet plan. Today I've vomited and felt really weak all day. I am going to go back to eating whole eggs and avocado and maybe some nuts to snack on because I need something to keep me going and this restricted food is killing me. I don't believe the metformin is working for me because I'm feeling dizzy again and I'm sure my insulin levels are just as high as when I went in. Most likely because of the carbs. I'm gonna try to get them down to 100g and under per day now and go back to eating good fats.

This does not sound good. Please see an endocrinologist. I have IR and my endo only recommended to eat most if my carbs from veggies and whole grains, limit breads pasta and sweets. In the past I have lost weight not limiting carbs and that too reversed my ir, it comes back when I gain.

My mother had a gp tell her to eat only 500 calories of green beans a day to lose weight. So, yeah, just because a Dr said it doesn't mean it's correct especially if you are feeling ill from it.
  • cosmicjenn
    cosmicjenn Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! Bread, rice, potatoes and fruit all create insulin resistance, as well as keep you diabetic. None of us are doctors but you asked for advice. The idea of eating carbohydrate rich foods(whole foods or not) to decrease insulin spikes is a very western, antiquated, and newly dismissed idea. A lot of doctors and health care professionals, as well as nutritionists are now in the light about eating healthy fats, proteins, and low starch diets for health. In that order. Fat is the only macronutrient that DOES NOT CREATE AN INSULIN RESPONSE. Try to stick to avocados, fish, grass fed meats, eggs, turnips(as your starch), coconut milk and oil, seeds, nuts, olive oil, ghee, and fresh green leafy veggies. Hope all is well! I beat my disease!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    pedidiva wrote: »
    Dr Sarah Hallberg youtube

https://youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ

This is worth watching.
  • tinahagar498
    tinahagar498 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ah thanks for the YouTube URL! I'll be watching this asap. And thank you to everyone for the great advice. I will absolutely be making changes and not following the doctors medium-high carb diet plan. I will aim for under 100g of carbs and add in avocados, olive oil, almonds etc. I just need to learn a whole new way of getting flavour into my cooking.
    Breakfasts are going to be difficult. I don't really like eggs.
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options

I'm the same, I've always been a cereal person. Not toast, not eggs, not leftovers for breakfast. Always cereal. In the last few weeks I noticed myself not feeling well so I decided to switch over to eggs for breakfast. The problem I have is that I always crave something sweet after every meal. Having cereal for breakfast took care of that on its own. That's why I've been having half an apple after my eggs, just to finish off with something sweet. When summer comes back around here in Australia, I'll switch over to some fresh berries.

Could you maybe try having some sort of meat for breakfast instead? As a vegetarian I don't really have any suggestions but maybe some sort of sliced deli meat, a slice of cheese and a hard-boiled egg? Or if you like spinach, you could have a big bowl of sautéed spinach with a poached egg, bacon and maybe some fetta.
  • gyal3
    gyal3 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    a couple of things
    1. What is the dose of Metformin you are on? It is common to have side effects when starting and so it is recommended to start slow with 500mg twice a day and then gradually build up to 1g twice a day. If that is still causing GI distress, then you can always talk to your doctor about switching to the extended release form- people tend to tolerate that better
    2. If by insulin resistance you mean prediabetes then you do not have to be on Metformin necessarily. Weight loss and exercise is key. Fatty tissue increases insulin resistance and muscle helps to increase glucose utilization from the blood stream. Losing as little as 10lbs (or 10% your body weight) makes a PROFOUND effect. Increase your cardio to 30 minutes twice a day and make sure you are also weight training. For the diet aspect of it, I agree with decreasing your net carbohydrate intake. Make sure you are spacing out your meals so that you are not eating more than 30 carbs with any meal. I would avoid potatoes, bread and pasta. Eat greek yogurt (more protein, less sugar), lean meats- fish, chicken, lots of green leafy vegetables, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli- basically veggies with low glycemic index. Within 3 months you should see a big difference.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Ah thanks for the YouTube URL! I'll be watching this asap. And thank you to everyone for the great advice. I will absolutely be making changes and not following the doctors medium-high carb diet plan. I will aim for under 100g of carbs and add in avocados, olive oil, almonds etc. I just need to learn a whole new way of getting flavour into my cooking.

Neither do I. How about yogurt and a low-GI fruit for breakfast? I like cottage cheese and fruit, but I don't think you have that where you are. Queso fresco might be an option.

You could also try a serving of avena integral. Some people like it with peanut butter for a bit of fat and protein. You can make it in a microwave in 2 minutes. Not low carb, but you can certainly work it into your plan if you are eating 100G carbs/day.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Neither do I. How about yogurt and a low-GI fruit for breakfast? I like cottage cheese and fruit, but I don't think you have that where you are.

Fruit = carbohydrate = not the friend of Insulin Resistance.

Don't be duped by "low GI" fruit which is high FI (fructose).

• charliebartlam
    charliebartlam Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    For breakfast you could try chia seed pudding? Add peanut butter and milk/ greek yoghurt to the chia seeds and its soo gd, high fibre but low net carb. Maybe also try some meat dished for dinner like breakfast sausages?
  • tinahagar498
    Options
    My best breakfast options are definitely some sliced meet and maybe quesillo. Like queso fresco as mentioned before. It is true that we don't have cottage cheese here. My husband doesn't even know what it is ha ha.

I do enjoy eating fruit and although I don't eat a lot of it I won't be giving it up completely.

The medication I was given 12 days ago is 750g of metformin and 1000u.i of vitamin e. Both once per day. I go back to the doctor in a couple of weeks for more tests and to check weight loss. Despite the little food I've been eating which anyone can check as I have an open diary, I've lost the few pounds that I had gained and am again now back stuck at the weight I can never drop below no matter what I do. I want to have a glucose monitor that's for sure but my doctor told me on my last test results that my sugar levels were fine and that it was my insulin levels that were more than 3 times over the healthy range.
  • winnie141
    winnie141 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm type 2 diabetic and on metformin. I was also on insulin when I was first diagnosed but no longer require it for now thank goodness! The side effects did not last for long with me as well but I find with myself that healthy fat/protein sources like avocado, eggs, peanut butter I do very well on. I usually have 2 bread in the morning breakfast, 2 bread for lunch, and potato or rice (1/2c) for supper. I eats a lot of veggies and a lot of fruit with these meals. You have to count your fruit as a carb however! Your allowed 4 carbs for each meal which means 2 bread, protein of choice, maybe a cup of carrots as well as a apple maybe for lunch for example? It takes some adjustment and you will find what works for you!
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Many doctors don't know a lot about diets and nutrition. It is a very small section in their education. I'm a nurse and worked many years with dieticians. The advice to go lower carb is excellent. You also need to be aware to eat healthy fats and protein. If you can lay your hands on GI index diet it has great advice for those with IR. the book is simply formatted too. Green is safe, Yellow is consume in small quantities and red is avoid.
    Good luck. It won't happen fast but if you know you are feeding your body the right foods then at least you can relax and know you are taking good care of yourself.

• tinahagar498
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. It is good to hear from other people that are still eating and enjoying some regular foods!

I have been reading many books and had a look at the GI value of many foods. I will have a look for this book also - thank you! I am feeling dizzy and weak again today. I am not sure if my blood sugar levels may be high or perhaps could they also dip low because of the metformin and restricted carbs?

My doctor did not tell me to buy a home blood glucose monitor however I am thinking of buying one. Is this useful for insulin resistance or is it really only used for diabetics? I am treating myself like a type 2 diabetic as from the books I have read they are both very similar and insulin can lead to type 2 diabetes. Is this extreme of me to think like this?