Can you visualize what life will be like after you've reached your goal?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    No need for visualization, I have a calculator lol!

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/xc-racing-training/422994d1231522642-bike-weight-how-much-factor-watts-per-kilo-chart.gif

I'd jump up from 4.22 watts per kilo to about 4.9 watts per kilo at threshold. Not including any power gains made while training during weight loss. Amateur pro category here I come.
    Amateur pro? I'm sure there's some reason why it's called that, but it seems odd.

• ACyclingAdmin
    ACyclingAdmin Posts: 444 Member
    Amateur pro is basically those of us who are not really going to be on a pro team / either too old or not going to commit to it etc...

Technically cat 1 is pro status, but if you just compete in local state races and such and never really do any national domestic races most folks will refer to it as amateur pro racing
  • DeguelloTex
    Amateur pro is basically those of us who are not really going to be on a pro team / either too old or not going to commit to it etc...

Technically cat 1 is pro status, but if you just compete in local state races and such and never really do any national domestic races most folks will refer to it as amateur pro racing
    So kind of like a ringer in a way? You're really good, but don't do it for a living?

• taentea
    taentea Posts: 91 Member
    I don't visualize myself at my goal weight as I've never been there. I don't know what being average feels like, let alone fit. The picture is very vague at this point.

I'm pretty sure that this new me won't be perfect. I'll quite likely look older than I do now. My skin won't magically forget hugging a 250 pound girl all these years and muscle definition will not suddenly appear. Some of those things I'll have to learn to live with, others will be something to keep working on.

Unlike a lot of posters here, I do see how weight loss could change my life in big ways. My weight has always been a major problem that hindered me in all areas of my life. It's just something I could never accept about myself. It always felt like a wrong version of me that I simply refused to show to the world, turning away a lot of great opportunities simply so I didn't have to show myself to people. Failed education, countless work proposals refused, non-existing social and personal life – my weight is why. So yeah, I count on that actually changing once I'm done, as I'm a gifted student, a passionate and knowledgable professional, a faithful friend and a generally decent, confident and even physically attractive person when I'm not busy burring myself under my own fat.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    taentea wrote: »
    Unlike a lot of posters here, I do see how weight loss could change my life in big ways. My weight has always been a major problem that hindered me in all areas of my life. It's just something I could never accept about myself. It always felt like a wrong version of me that I simply refused to show to the world, turning away a lot of great opportunities simply so I didn't have to show myself to people. Failed education, countless work proposals refused, non-existing social and personal life – my weight is why. So yeah, I count on that actually changing once I'm done, as I'm a gifted student, a passionate and knowledgable professional, a faithful friend and a generally decent, confident and even physically attractive person when I'm not busy burring myself under my own fat.

This kind of happened to me. I was rejected at a job interview for "not seeming energetic enough" to be a programmer, by a guy who was very ho-hum himself and overweight.
  • DeguelloTex
    senecarr wrote: »

This kind of happened to me. I was rejected at a job interview for "not seeming energetic enough" to be a programmer, by a guy who was very ho-hum himself and overweight.
    Wow. Usually putting on enough clothes to go out in public and not be arrested and then making it to the interview is plenty energetic for a programmer.

• senecarr

Wow. Usually putting on enough clothes to go out in public and not be arrested and then making it to the interview is plenty energetic for a programmer.
    The job was for Borders about 3 months before they went out of business. Ended up landing a position in a pretty good place.

• ACyclingAdmin
    ACyclingAdmin Posts: 444 Member
    edited June 2015

So kind of like a ringer in a way? You're really good, but don't do it for a living?

Yeah, there are us "professional hobbyists" you can say and then those like.. there is a guy out here in ATX that wins a LOT of races out here in TX, sometimes out in other states so I'm pretty sure guys like that are using it to supplement their income because you can make a nice chunk of change winning a cat 1 race. Most of them are coaches though, charge their athletes like 300+ a month and get a lot of clients because of their local wins.

I just simply want to make it to cat 1 to say I'm cat 1 lol. I've got a long road ahead though, I had half the points for a cat 3 upgrade when I broke my collar bone last year and my points rolled out (12 months rolling need to make all your points for an upgrade in a 12mo timeframe). Haven't even touched the races this year, new baby, kept getting sick, daycare is a petri dish, gained weight, lol...

But seeing them out in some of the other domestic pro stuff they aren't as hot with the younger guys on real pro domestic teams usually take the wins. I'm not sure if I'd bother if I was in my late 30's and in their shoes with a family.
  • taentea
    taentea Posts: 91 Member

My situation is even more pathetic in some way. It's not other people doing it to me. It's me. I've never asked for a job. I've been offered plenty, including some people would kill for. Heck, I even refused a % in a startup simply because I could not bring myself to meet those people and sign papers. I dropped out of the best university in the country that the gov was paying me to to go to because they wanted me to swim in the pool and so on. I'd learn to live with it if I was simply dumb, ugly or naturally limited in any other way. But I really just keep wasting what was given, feeling tremendously guilty and yet not able to stop doing it.
  • LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    My life will be the exact same. I will look different, but what's inside won't change. I've already made healthy changes. I've already decided to be more positive and happy, and to love my body. I already have confidence. My body will just be smaller and my disease easier to control.
  • senecarr

My situation is even more pathetic in some way. It's not other people doing it to me. It's me. I've never asked for a job. I've been offered plenty, including some people would kill for. Heck, I even refused a % in a startup simply because I could not bring myself to meet those people and sign papers. I dropped out of the best university in the country that the gov was paying me to to go to because they wanted me to swim in the pool and so on. I'd learn to live with it if I was simply dumb, ugly or naturally limited in any other way. But I really just keep wasting what was given, feeling tremendously guilty and yet not able to stop doing it.
    I can completely sympathize.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member

Not in my company....
  • DeguelloTex
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Not in my company....
    Good thing I made enough to retire in my 40s working at places more concerned with results, then.

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    I did one of these dealies back when I started...

0wnmj133rk6b.jpg

As for the rest of my life: Except being able to fit places I couldn't before, and being able to walk up hills, I expect the rest of my life will be exactly the same as it is now.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    I was skinny as a young person and didn't gain the weight until after college so I never really saw myself as a fat person. So I'll finally look like I think I do. If that makes any sense.

A big difference will be when I'm scuba diving. I'll basically be carrying 140 pounds less when I get out of the water. That is a huge difference. No more feeling like I'm gonna have a heart attack when I'm walking back to my car. That's like having a person on your back and you have to walk up a huge flight of stairs to get back to your car. HUGE deal.

Last thing. I can finally stop shopping in the Plus size section and actually find clothes that are cute. No more shopping at Catherine's. YAY!!!!
  • senecarr

Not in my company....
    Good thing I made enough to retire in my 40s working at places more concerned with results, then.
    Well, I do have depression, thought then and now it is under treatment. I wasn't terribly enthused about working for a company that seemed like it was circling the drain the way Borders was, particularly when it was 2010 and they were talking about their software still using stuff that takes Visual Studio 6 to compile.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member

Not in my company....

Logic fail.
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    I'm 184lbs, if I lose 44lbs I'll be healthier and able to do more sports. Now, I get tired and out of breath and have to just accept that's how it is (for now).
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,828 Member
    I just simply want to make it to cat 1 to say I'm cat 1 lol. I've got a long road ahead though, I had half the points for a cat 3 upgrade when I broke my collar bone last year and my points rolled out (12 months rolling need to make all your points for an upgrade in a 12mo timeframe). Haven't even touched the races this year, new baby, kept getting sick, daycare is a petri dish, gained weight, lol...

I made it all the way up to Cat 4 when I was racing. :lol:

Speed was just never my thing ... I'm all about distance.

But applicable to this topic, one thing the weight loss seems to have helped with are the hills. I'm flatlander now residing in Tasmania (very, very hilly). I've been watching the mountain goats here fly up hills like they are on flat ground while I've been struggling, and wheezing, and in agonising pain, and often walking ...

However, by the time I had lost about 10 kg, I was getting up hills with less difficulty. My husband puts it this way ... imagine if you had to carry five 2-litre bottles of Pepsi Max up the hill ... well, that's essentially what I was doing with that extra 10 kg. Now I am so close to 15 kg lost ... it's even easier. Still nowhere near easy, but easier than it was.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member
    About the only change will be I'll eat a more reasonable amount. More reasonable than before I started and more reasonable than while I was losing. Well, and some new clothes.

I still won't be able to go shirtless; I have too many scars.
    I still won't be able to buy much of my clothes in regular stores; I'm too tall for that.
    I still won't be able to fit very well in airplane seats; legroom was always the problem, not width.

People will still stare at me. People will still ask where I played basketball.

I guess I might live longer, but maybe not, and it's not like I'll ever know, anyway. I never defined myself in terms of my weight, or lack thereof, so that won't change. I'll still be me, with the same worries, concerns, bills, family, etc., there will just be less of me and my proportions will be different.

I can understand being self-conscious about this but wanted to note that on another site, I am in a group for asking women questions - whenever men start threads asking how women feel about scars the responses are overwhelmingly positive :)