When you feel like eating something bad...

Options
What do you do when you feel tempted to hit up the local pizza or burger place? I have been doing well and have lost 17 lbs, but I am really craving something I know I shouldn't have. How do I resist the cravings?

Replies

• Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'd have the burger or pizza to get over the craving, then move on to the next day. Instead of eating half the pizza, I'd have a slice and a salad. I'd use the same concept with the burger. One meal isn't going to derail your weight loss :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    There are no foods that are bad if your diet as a whole is on point (barring trans fats). So I fit them in. Burgers are literally my favorite food. Not sure what is bad about one at all. All three macronutrients wrapped in yumminess...how can that be bad?
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If I am feeling like I want Pizza I pick a heavy exercise day and I have pizza. If I want a burger I have one. If I want chocolate or cookies or ice cream I plan for them and enjoy them. There are no bad foods. Food is fuel. No reason why you can't fuel your body appropriately and still enjoy it.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    you can have pizza and burgers....only portion control and moderation is the key.

Eat pizza try to fit it in your calorie allowance and next day back on track.

Lost 92 pounds and i eat everything! Only i eat it some things in moderation. I dont eat a whole pizza but a slice ( or two) Work out that day a bit harder ;)
    I go to dinners only not regular! Cant have the food with salt anyway. I have champagne and beer when i want too. Or a Margarita..... It all comes down to fitting it in...and when not..well tomorrow another day. It wont hurt your weight loss journey when you go back on track the next day...its normal life you know. And life has to be liven. Just dont over do it that's all.

So i plan! As much as i can :)
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I know folks around here aren't fans of the use of 'bad' foods.....but I assure you, there's not much 'good' in poutine. (A pile of deep fried French fries, smothered in gravy and topped with wads of cheese curds and bacon).
    Wait....I'm wrong.....there is 'good'....it's the taste!

It's my weakness. It has WAY more calories than I could logically burn off in a day......so I just don't.
    I tell myself "If I think it's such a good idea today, then it will be a good idea tomorrow"
    By tomorrow, I usually have reevaluated and know it's just not worth it.
  • angellll12
    angellll12 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I buy it and ask whoever I'm with if they want a piece or I'll just take five bites and throw it out.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    If I can make room for them in my calories, I go. If not, I don't. Usually, it won't fit and by the time tomorrow rolls around, the food doesn't seem as important. The one exception is Tex-Mex, but that's a gargantuan amount of calories, so it's planned days in advance.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I know folks around here aren't fans of the use of 'bad' foods.....but I assure you, there's not much 'good' in poutine. (A pile of deep fried French fries, smothered in gravy and topped with wads of cheese curds and bacon).

It's my weakness. It has WAY more calories than I could logically burn off in a day......so I just don't.
    I tell myself "If I think it's such a good idea today, then it will be a good idea tomorrow"

Poutine is loaded with macros, and is awesome. Shut your mouth, heathen! :)
  • Hornsby
    Options

Exactly. It is fuel. Is it calorie dense? Yes. Calories do not equal "bad" though.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What do you do when you feel tempted to hit up the local pizza or burger place? I have been doing well and have lost 17 lbs, but I am really craving something I know I shouldn't have. How do I resist the cravings?

I hit up my favorite pizza place every couple of weeks with the family...in the grand scheme of things, it's pretty irrelevant. My wife and I usually have a couple slices off a small pie and take the rest home...you can have a couple slices of pizza, just don't eat the whole thing.

where burgers are concerned, I much prefer to grill my own at home...IMO, fast food burgers are barely recognizable as actual burgers...and there's only a handful of restaurants out there for which I've had a burger that is on par with what I can do at home.
  • juliebowman4
    Options

OMG! I'm laughing like a loon!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Why shouldn't you have a burger or pizza? Can you not fit it into your calorie goal?

FYI - I'm eating Chinese for dinner. Hasn't stopped me from losing 61 lbs.
  • juliebowman4
    Options

Bacon Poutine- Regular (Smoke's Poutinerie)
    Serving Size: 621 g, Calories: 1422, Fat: 70g, Carbs: 156g, Protein: 43g

Even though that's more than my daily calorie intake, I could actually work off the surplus.
    Although.....a small poutine as my entire nourishment for the day?
    Nope.
    But when I'm in maitnence......I'm going to Smokes Poutinery for breakfast!
  • Hornsby
    Options
    But for some of us, a normal meal is around 12-1400 calories ;) That was all I meant by my statement. Is that the best macro breakdown? Not really, but every once in a while....no problem. That being said, I didn't even know what that was until I googled it.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options

Even though that's more than my daily calorie intake, I could actually work off the surplus.
    Nope.

A lot of them are like 1000 cals. Ridiculous.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options

Nope.

621g serving? That's almost 1.5lbs. No way am I eating that kind of serving. Half of that is still bad, but I'll just run a few miles to burn it off because Poutine.

OMG! I'm laughing like a loon!

I was really hoping you wouldn't take that the wrong way. lol

• juliebowman4
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    But for some of us, a normal meal is around 12-1400 calories ;) That was all I meant by my statement. Is that the best macro breakdown? Not really, but every once in a while....no problem. That being said, I didn't even know what that was until I googled it.

Hornsby, poutine is like a party in your mouth.
    It's heaven, on a greasy salty plate.
    It's proof that a food god exists.....and loves me.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I would go have the pizza as a treat meal and mice forward. Or have one slice and a salad for dinner and work it into your calories.
    Moderation, not deprivation.....
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    The only way I get over a craving is to have what I'm craving. I tried the whole "eat something 'healthy' instead" and end up eating the 'healthy' food, then eating what I was craving and going over my calories.

I hate poutine, but it's not a "bad" food. If gravy wasn't the seed of Satan, I'd live at Smoke's.