Skinny vegan trying to gain muscle

Options
2»

Replies

• mcordero1206
    mcordero1206 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    eat whey protein. whey is a byproduct of milk processing. milking is not killing, otherwise every baby is killing their mom (breastfeeding). Milk cows don't get killed for meat.

No offense but I don't agree with your statement. Whey is a byproduct of milk which still constitutes as offensive to the vegan lifestyle. Secondly, not only are the mother cows killed, they are also artificially inseminated in order to produce the milk. They're not magic, they don't produce milk without hormone stimulation. In other words, they are raped all their lives until they're killed for meat and leather.

• mcordero1206
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice! I will be taking into consideration all of your suggestions! You guys are awesome!
  • mcordero1206
    Options
    As long as you aren't sensitive to gluten, seitan is a very concentrated vegan source of protein, and easy to make at home. Look for recipes that involve baking it rather than simmering; the simmering method is much trickier.

I have been looking into seitan. One of my favorite vegan restaurants have so many options on their menu using seitan, including their famous pocket gyro. SOOO GOOD haha. I'll definitely see if I can make my own! Thanks!
  • mcordero1206
    Options
    zeroh13 wrote: »
    You should join the Happy Herbivores group on this site (https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores), you'll be able to talk to other vegan athletes there.

I second checking out the No Meat Athlete site too, I've found really good information there.

Yeah I'm also a member on that site, thank you!
  • mcordero1206
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    eat whey protein. whey is a byproduct of milk processing. milking is not killing, otherwise every baby is killing their mom (breastfeeding). Milk cows don't get killed for meat.

Whey isn't vegan. To gain weight and put on muscle, you're going to need to be on a progressive lifting program, and eat in a surplus (see the sticky in this section for good info).

Here's a list of calorie dense food. It's not all vegan, but work with the foods you can eat:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods

That list is super helpful! Thanks a lot! Is lifting necessary to put on gains? I currently stick to a body weight regimen as I'm trying to condtion myself for martial arts. Is it possible to still gain if I'm eating enough but doing only calisthenics?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    get in protein eat at a surplus of maintenance and do a progressive load weight program...simple. Vegan or not.

I can't help with the foods but the progressive load....

There are lots of programs out there...

Stronglifts
    New rules of lifting
    starting strength

and yes you have to lift something...

I am my own gym is a good one you just have to do a progressive load meaning once it becomes some what easy add to it...

5 chins ups too easy do 10
    50 pushups too easy add a weighted belt etc...

Adding muscle takes time and lots of food and weights...facts of a bulk.
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Eat more than your body needs to maintain + lift heavy = gain muscle. Done.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Whey isn't vegan. To gain weight and put on muscle, you're going to need to be on a progressive lifting program, and eat in a surplus (see the sticky in this section for good info).

Here's a list of calorie dense food. It's not all vegan, but work with the foods you can eat:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods

That list is super helpful! Thanks a lot! Is lifting necessary to put on gains? I currently stick to a body weight regimen as I'm trying to condtion myself for martial arts. Is it possible to still gain if I'm eating enough but doing only calisthenics?

The key is progressive resistance; you need to continually push yourself further. It's a little more complicated with calisthenics, but it's possible. Look up "you are your own gym" (I think they have an app as well) and "convict conditioning".

I haven't tried either of those two programs, but I see them recommended a lot.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options

Whey isn't Vegan
  • eclenden01
    eclenden01 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would check out the Vege line of supplements. Their products use a mixture of plant based protein sources to make "complete" protein.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    eclenden01 wrote: »
    I would check out the Vege line of supplements. Their products use a mixture of plant based protein sources to make "complete" protein.

While bulking, it shouldn't be difficult for a vegan to hit their protein goals with whole foods, especially since bulking is muscle sparing, and a higher protein goal isn't necessary. No reason to spend money on protein powders unless you really enjoy them.
  • Lowell_Zapata
    Lowell_Zapata Posts: 32 Member
    Options

No, that's true......they get just abused for their milk.