Do you stretch?

Options
Do you do it as a cool-down or warm-up, or do you do it separately from your regular workout?

(Forgive me for differentiating between a workout and stretching. I know that for some people stretching is a workout, and I don't mean to discount that at all.)

Also, I'm not seeking any advice. Just curious what people are doing. Thanks!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    On my weightlifting days, I generally walk for about 10 minutes and then stretch for another 10 minutes before I start lifting. I do not usually do it afterward or as a workout on its own. I should stretch after running but, lately, I have not. That's more due to time issues than anything else.
  • jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Absolutely 100% every time I train. Stretching is so important. My warm up is usually a 5 minute run on treadmill, then full body stretching for another 6-7 minutes.
  • jacklfc88
    Options
    Absolutely 100% every time I train. Stretching is so important. My warm up is usually a 5 minute run on treadmill, then full body stretching for another 6-7 minutes.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I've always stretched after but I think I'm in the minority. Ppl in my gym seem not to bother. I never stretch cold muscles before and the only time I would stretch during is for instance a muscle that was a bit tight before I start the exercise - then I'll warm it up and have a stretch near start.

I have a feeling current advice is only stretch afterwards? Someone more knowledgeable will no doubt correct me
  • jacklfc88
    Options
    Clarewho wrote: »
    I've always stretched after but I think I'm in the minority. Ppl in my gym seem not to bother. I never stretch cold muscles before and the only time I would stretch during is for instance a muscle that was a bit tight before I start the exercise - then I'll warm it up and have a stretch near start.

I have a feeling current advice is only stretch afterwards? Someone more knowledgeable will no doubt correct me

before and after is best. sometimes i finish on a light exercise with a high range of movement and do nice controlled reps to stretch out muscle
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I only stretch after - a couple of limber-up type moves before but otherwise I don't feel there's much point in trying to stretch cold muscles. I have a 15 minute little routine I do after every workout.
  • blue736
    blue736 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I only stretch in the winter cold months before training Neva in summer or warm days Neva had any problems.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Always stretch for about 5 mins after, or my leg joints are really stiff the next day. Never before. My warm-up is a brisk walk for 10 mins or so.
  • Glossberg
    Glossberg Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I stretch a few minutes before runs but nothing after.

As for cool downs.....Based on how much time I have and what I was working on for the run, I will sometimes run a slower last mile or two.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I don't do any stretching unless I'm having a mobility issue. No cool downs and only warm up with some lighter weights on my exercises.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Clarewho wrote: »

Actually that's not going to be true, people should do some mobility work before the train. Now, the actual stretching prescription is going to be individualized because most people will have different needs. Stretching is important because if your muscles are not working correctly then you will not perform the exercises correctly and you risk injury or at the very least have a less effective workout.

Pre-workout, definitely do some kind of warm-up & mobility work. For some it could be as easy as a 5 to 10 min dynamic session and for some they may need 20-min's and some combination of SMR, Static-Stretching, and Active Stretching; it just depends on the individual.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I always warm up before my work outs, sometimes stretch between my warmup and workout. I always stretch after. It feels good. On strength training days, I stretch thoroughly and use a foam roller.
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Yes after but not before a circuit training or a spin workout. Occasionally I'll do 20 minutes of a post-runners yoga sequence. If time and mood allows, I'll do a 30-40 minute yoga sequence, but to be honest not that often lately due to time.
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I stretch after.
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I always stretch after a workout or I end up stiff as a board the next day (or even the next hour). I also try to do at least 10-15 minutes of good, deep stretching before bed every night. I've found I sleep a lot better and wake up feeling less like I'm made of concrete if I take those few minutes (some days is more like 20-30 minutes!). I usually just do a light cardio warm-up (5 or so minutes) before my workouts to get everything warmed up and loosened.

That's all just me, though. :)
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I stretch after. And sometimes completely separate from the workout when I'm a little sore.
  • jacklfc88
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I only stretch after - a couple of limber-up type moves before but otherwise I don't feel there's much point in trying to stretch cold muscles. I have a 15 minute little routine I do after every workout.

There is a point. Why do you think you see professional athletes go through vigorous warm ups and stretching routines prior to the activity? Not saying you need to do what they do as we aren't working to their capacity but the principle is the same. Working out with cold muscles is a bad idea, much more likely to pick up injuries that way.
    Yes after but not before a circuit training or a spin workout. Occasionally I'll do 20 minutes of a post-runners yoga sequence. If time and mood allows, I'll do a 30-40 minute yoga sequence, but to be honest not that often lately due to time.

Surprised your instructor doesn't go through a warm up an stretches first...
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    usually a 1 mile warmup run, 5-10 minutes of stretching then I lift.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Although I know I am supposed to, I never stretch or do a warm-up or cool-down.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I don't stretch.

Warm up is important.

Studies have shown that stretching prior to exercise does nothing and is only minimally beneficial after exercise.