Who is doing low carb?

Options
2»

Replies

• chaychay48
    chaychay48 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The thing that everyone that is considering a low carb lifestyle needs to keep in mind, at least those considering Atkins in particular, is that it was not created so that you are confined to less than 20 or 30 carbs per day for the rest of your life. The idea is to kick it off for a few weeks with less than 20 to change from burning glucose for energy to using fat for energy (ketosis) and gradually add in higher carb items slooowly until you can gauge what you need to continue to lose weight and then maintain once you get to where you want to be. Atkins has a "carb ladder" and near the top of the ladder is *gasp* grains! Low carb does not have to be a "fad diet" and is definitively sustainable long term if you put the effort into going about it slowly!

Here is what the carb ladder looks like:

Phase 1, Induction:
    Rung 1: Foundation vegetables: leafy greens and other low-carb vegetables
    Rung 2: Dairy foods high in fat and low in carbs: cream, sour cream, and most hard cheeses
    Phase 2, Ongoing Weight Loss:
    Rung 3: Nuts and seeds (but not chestnuts)
    Rung 4: Berries, cherries, and melon (but not watermelon)
    Rung 5: Whole milk yogurt and fresh cheeses, such as cottage cheese and ricotta
    Rung 6: Legumes, including chickpeas, lentils, and the like.
    Rung 7: Tomato and vegetable juice “cocktail” (plus more lemon and lime juice)
    Phases 3 and 4, Pre-Maintenance and Lifetime Maintenance:
    Rung 8: Other fruits (but not fruit juices or dried fruits)
    Rung 9: Higher-carb vegetables, such as winter squash, carrots, and peas
    Rung 10: Whole grains

Sure there is no exact rung for cakes and cookies, but as long as you have a good handle on the amount of carbs needed to reach and maintain your goals, a little treat here and there isn't going to hurt! There are also several recipes out there for desserts that contain almond or coconut flour that helps to keep the carb count down.

I am a huge advocate of a low carb lifestyle and I am always looking for friends, so anyone that wants to add me, feel free to do so!
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    dogman8374 wrote: »
    I am tweaking my diet to lose 20-30 lbs. After alot of reading I have decided to go the low carb route. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

I use a moderate carb plan of 60-80 carbs that are vegetable based with a few dark chocolate carbs.

It is more filling for me when I eat veggie carbs over starchy, then grainy.

That is what works for me. Feeling full and balanced nutrient mix.

Feeling full makes it easier to not snack :)

Check the low carber forum.

• comeongethealthyro
    comeongethealthyro Posts: 50 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I feel that I'm 'low' carb although to some I'd be considered the opposite haha For months I've been in a deficit, consuming 160g carbs most days. However, this week is the first of a new carb cycle I'm trying out--low carb days (150g carb | 60g fat | 135g protein) are 5x a week & my high carb days (220g C | 40g F | 110g P) are 2x a week for my leg days. Cutting carbs completely, or even getting below 100g, is simply not feasible for me as carbs are an energy source & I work out 5-6x a week lifting weights & doing high intensity cardio.
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    How much fat are you taking in?
  • Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I personally choose a low-carb diet, because it allows me to focus on well-cooked proteins, lots of veggies / fruits, and the occasional whole grain (though I often replace the grain or rice with quinoa... because I absolutely love it).

Losing weight does require a caloric deficit, but I choose to focus more on great foods and ignore the math, because having to physically count calories for me is far more unsustainable than just learning eat right. For me, it's just easier to straight up avoid candies, desserts, breads, as part of my regular diet and treat them as occasional treats.

But you asked for thoughts or suggestions! Most importantly, I recommend becoming a vegetable hound at your nearest farmer's market. For me, replacing bread was terrible until I realized just how many freaking awesome choices I had:
    • Brussels Sprouts: baked or sautéed in oil
    • Grilled squash: seasoned with bam
    • Portobello mushroom caps: cook em' like a steak, season like a steak.
    • Cauliflower: look up recipes for a good mash. Amazing with any protein
    • Broccoli: sautéed -- get it charred. Best thing ever.
    • Asian stir fry: Awesome way to use things like bell peppers, snap peas, carrots, and onions with some different sauces and seasonings
    • Baked carrots: See if you can find some giant carrots, put pieces of butter on them and bake in the oven.
    • Grilled asparagus: Takes a little practice, but worth it
    • Bag of spinach: sauté it!
    • Baby tomatoes: Grow em' yourself. You'll love making salads or just eating with a bit of oil and salt and petter

Anyway, those are just a few things you can do. Anyone who tells you low-carb is "boring" hasn't learned to appreciate real food! Fruit salads are better than any dessert. Fresh blackberries, blueberries, strawberries with drinking yogurt is a great way to get your sweets.

Believe me, this is a far cry from my former diet -- which was like 70% bread :) (bagels for breakfast, pretzels for snacks, sandwiches for lunch, pizza and pastas for dinner). I can tell you I feel a hell of a lot better getting most of carbs from great veggies and stir fries -- and don't really have to pay attention to the calories. And when I do have a slice of pizza here in NYC at Lombardis or John's for a special occasion -- you appreciate it a hellava lot more when you weren't bombarding your palate with "lean pockets" the night before.

Good luck, and good choice :).
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hypsibius wrote: »

Losing weight does require a caloric deficit, but I choose to focus more on great foods and ignore the math, because having to physically count calories for me is far more unsustainable than just learning eat right. For me, it's just easier to straight up avoid candies, desserts, breads, as part of my regular diet and treat them as occasional treats.

Good luck, and good choice :).

THIS!! One of the best posts I've read. Thank you.
  • daniebanks
    daniebanks Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I have done low carb...didn't enjoy it..I always felt "empty"...never satisfied with my meal no matter how much I ate.

I prefer a well balanced macro set...

My only suggestion is don't try to do any intense exercise for a while...I almost fainted the first time I tried...

yes! thaat's how I felt doing low carb, constantly peckish and that 'empty' feeling.. no more low carb lol
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Anyone who tells you low-carb is "boring" hasn't learned to appreciate real food.

Fruit salads are better than any dessert. Fresh blackberries, blueberries, strawberries with drinking yogurt is a great way to get your sweets.

By restricting carbohydrates you're limiting yourself to eating mostly protein and fat every single day, which is boring... not to mention illogical unless it is medically necessary.

No one is saying that pigging out on desserts and candies is wise. What would be wise is to employ a Common Sense Diet, consisting of primarily whole minimally processed foods.

...All of those foods you mentioned as replacements are high carbohydrate by the way.
  • Hypsibius
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Anyone who tells you low-carb is "boring" hasn't learned to appreciate real food.

Fruit salads are better than any dessert. Fresh blackberries, blueberries, strawberries with drinking yogurt is a great way to get your sweets.

By restricting carbohydrates you're limiting yourself to eating mostly protein and fat every single day, which is boring... not to mention illogical unless it is medically necessary.

No one is saying that pigging out on desserts and candies is wise. What would be wise is to employ a Common Sense Diet, consisting of primarily whole minimally processed foods.

...All of those foods you mentioned as replacements are high carbohydrate by the way.

The ones I listed are actually more mid-range carbs (compared to say, corn, potatoes, yuka, butternut squash) -- which I still love and enjoy.

I'm not sure we disagree all that much. To be fair (and to your point) I also wouldn't necessarily call my diet "low-carb" in the Atkins or anti-veggie sense; it is more that anytime you switch to getting your bulk of carbs from fruits and veggies it is dramatically lower carb than the standard American diet by default.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

No, they're not. But, bravo on managing to piece together that a diet low on carbs has more protein and fat, that's the whole point of low carb. It's also hardly boring. If anything, the boring foods are the ones left out, rice, pasta, bread - bland things that only exist to carry other flavors like gravy and sauce and butter. It's also not illogical. Illogical is insisting that everyone must eat one way, regardless of their activity level or medical history, even if eating another way makes it EASIER to maintain a deficit. Using your theory, everyone who thrives on LC should force themselves to eat wheat bread and be miserably hungry all day instead of skipping the bread, eating a salad instead, and having tons of energy to go work out.
  • sixxpoint
    edited June 2015
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

No, they're not.

Yeah, they kinda are:

Blackberries; Total Carbohydrate 14 g per 1 cup
    Blueberries: Total Carbohydrate 21 g per 1 cup
    Strawberries: Total Carbohydrate 11 g per 1 cup
    Chobani Blackberry Yogurt: Total Carbohydrate 19 g per 1 container

I'm really not going to argue further with you if you are incapable of connecting the dots for composing a rational, balanced diet. All you are doing is supporting low carb because it fits what you choose to believe. Do as you wish. I will rely on sensible, factual information. Everything in moderation.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

No, they're not.

Yeah, they kinda are:

I'm really not going to argue further with you if you are incapable of connecting the dots for composing a rational, balanced diet. All you are doing is supporting low carb because it fits what you choose to believe. Do as you wish. I will rely on sensible, factual information. Everything in moderation.

1: nobody eats 3 cups of berries in one sitting, and you are not allowing for fiber
    2: Chobani is not the only yogurt on the planet. Light & Fit Greek has less than half that
    3: I've been in medically prescribed ketosis for 15 years, if you are incapable of having a civil discussion about different WOEs just because you're too lazy to educate yourself about them all, you really have no business advising other people not to use them
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

No, they're not. But, bravo on managing to piece together that a diet low on carbs has more protein and fat, that's the whole point of low carb. It's also hardly boring. If anything, the boring foods are the ones left out, rice, pasta, bread - bland things that only exist to carry other flavors like gravy and sauce and butter. It's also not illogical. Illogical is insisting that everyone must eat one way, regardless of their activity level or medical history, even if eating another way makes it EASIER to maintain a deficit. Using your theory, everyone who thrives on LC should force themselves to eat wheat bread and be miserably hungry all day instead of skipping the bread, eating a salad instead, and having tons of energy to go work out.

I guess you don't get out to many restaurants, bread/toast/tartines have been trending for a while now. Besides the taste of the bread, it provides an important textural component. I just had a fermented potato bread from a restaurant in Copenhagen that was one of the best courses I had at the restaurant.

e
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

No, they're not.

Yeah, they kinda are:

they will defend it to the death ...

I find it amusing...
  • sixxpoint
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

No, they're not.

Yeah, they kinda are:

they will defend it to the death ...

I find it amusing...

Oh, I realize that. I've said what I needed to say and supported factual, sensible data instead of "what works for me" advice :)
  • Hypsibius
    Options

This is precisely the point. Very well said.