Substitute for wine

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Oh I usually drink a whole bottle. I'm not really into the 2 glasses a night thing. My husband and I like to enjoy ourselves 1 night a week.
    So learn to enjoy yourself on a couple of glasses interspersed with a no calorie drink
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    gkclanin wrote: »
    I never realized how many calories I was drinking until I joined MFP. So far I have gone 7 days with no wine but I'm going to have to find a way to work it in.

i will say when i first started, i didnt drink for several months to learn how best to fit it in.

exercise is the answer, basically. LOLOLOL
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    I used to drink a lot of wine but have cut back over the past couple of years. I drink about a bottle per month. The days that I drink, it's usually just a glass so I don't log it. 100-200 calories over my goal on one day a month isn't going to stall my weight loss.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    I fill my glass with a lot of ice before I pour wine into it (obviously only when drinking white wine!). It lasts much longer and clearly is not as many calories since so much of the glass is just water. Maybe you'll find yourself only drinking 2 or 3 glasses this way (I limit myself to 1-2 glasses, but I'm also very short).
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    jaga13 wrote: »
    I fill my glass with a lot of ice before I pour wine into it (obviously only when drinking white wine!). It lasts much longer and clearly is not as many calories since so much of the glass is just water. Maybe you'll find yourself only drinking 2 or 3 glasses this way (I limit myself to 1-2 glasses, but I'm also very short).

Try freezing grapes and using them as ice cubes- Trust me.. It's amazing plus the grapes kind of turn into a slushy consistency when frozen
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    50% wine with 50% carbonated (sparkling) water has half the calories of wine. Still tastes the same.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    50% wine with 50% carbonated (sparkling) water has half the calories of wine. Still tastes the same.

Boon's Farm...maybe

No way any sort of decent wine will taste the same watered down by 50%

I'm on team "have a glass or two and make it fit into your calorie allowance"
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Didn't Weight Watchers produce a wine ?
  • TaurianDoll
    TaurianDoll Posts: 111 Member
    I'm an avid wine drinker. I drink about a bottle a week. Like someone else said, make it fit. Also wine doesn't carry as many calories as liquor or beer so it's doable.

I don't drink other types of alcohol unless it's a special occasion (vacation=cocktail, baseball game=beer or something). Otherwise I keep wine in the house and have a glass a few times a week with dinner.
  • TaurianDoll
    TaurianDoll Posts: 111 Member
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Boon's Farm...maybe

^ THIS made me chuckle.

I agree. Altering the composition of wine is blasphemy in my book. I don't even talk to people who put ice in their wine. Like WTH?! Don't get me started. I might curse.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    I just make it fit. My boyfriend's parents make their own wine so I have a small glass at night. I just make sure I measure it out. It's possible to fit a whole bottle into your calorie limit and maybe use this as your own "cheat day" type thing.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member

Boon's Farm...maybe

^ THIS made me chuckle.

I agree. Altering the composition of wine is blasphemy in my book. I don't even talk to people who put ice in their wine. Like WTH?! Don't get me started. I might curse.
    Ditttoooo!

Oh I usually drink a whole bottle. I'm not really into the 2 glasses a night thing. My husband and I like to enjoy ourselves 1 night a week.
    If you really want a bottle, which sometimes I sure as hell do, make it fit. Usually around 600-625 for a nice Malbec, and worth it IMO!
  • Jplante312
    Jplante312 Posts: 41 Member
    I've heard Gin has the least calories of al liquor. I like the skinny girl drinks though.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Hey guys and gals! Okay, so I'm a once/week (usually Saturday) if that, Pinot Gricio wine drinker. I'm looking for anyone out there that enjoys drinking wine on occasion, but has some healthier, well I guess less calorie alcohol drink. Also, a reply of "just don't drink" doesn't help. Lol. Not gonna happen.

Lower calorie would be a calorie free mixer with 1 oz of vodka. You would never convince me that this is healthier though.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,479 Member
    My wife and I have started drinking Vinho Verde, a light Spanish wine which is very refreshing on hot days. It has 20% less calories than pino grigio, so I just drink 20% more to make up the difference.
  • Need2Exerc1se

Boon's Farm...maybe

^ THIS made me chuckle.

I would agree with this last sentence, except when it comes to Sangria.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited June 2015
    yarwell wrote: »
    Didn't Weight Watchers produce a wine ?

Skinny Girl brand makes one. It's 100 calories per glass (5 oz). Which will save you about 10-20 calories per glass on most table wine.
  • scr183
    scr183 Posts: 49 Member

I watched my mother put ice in a glass of cabernet a couple weeks ago at a family dinner. My eye *still* has not stopped twitching...
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member

Boon's Farm...maybe

I'm on team "have a glass or two and make it fit into your calorie allowance"

Try it, you may be surprised.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    jkwolly wrote: »

Boon's Farm...maybe

^ THIS made me chuckle.

Ditttoooo!

If you really want a bottle, which sometimes I sure as hell do, make it fit. Usually around 600-625 for a nice Malbec, and worth it IMO!

I heart you jkwolly. I really heart you.

OP I usually have a glass or two of wine every night. Add that up, you've easily got a bottle/week. If you prefer to drink only on the weekends, I would suggest either working out extra or cutting 100-200 cals each day during the week to make room for it on the weekend...