Substitute for wine

13»

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    50% wine with 50% carbonated (sparkling) water has half the calories of wine. Still tastes the same.

Boon's Farm...maybe

No way any sort of decent wine will taste the same watered down by 50%

I'm on team "have a glass or two and make it fit into your calorie allowance"
    I agree. Altering the composition of wine is blasphemy in my book. I don't even talk to people who put ice in their wine. Like WTH?! Don't get me started. I might curse.

Try it, you may be surprised.

No thanks
  • dmbkss03
    dmbkss03 Posts: 20 Member
    Troutsy wrote: »
    The only substitute for wine is more wine :D

OP: is there any way to work in the wine with your daily calories?

This ^^^^^ Could never give up my wine!!! :p Like everyone else is saying, just make sure it fits into your weekly/daily calories. And Enjoy!!!

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    50% wine with 50% carbonated (sparkling) water has half the calories of wine. Still tastes the same.

Boon's Farm...maybe

No way any sort of decent wine will taste the same watered down by 50%

I'm on team "have a glass or two and make it fit into your calorie allowance"

+1000000000000000.

This is where exercise calories come into play IMO
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

no way...
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Buying smaller wine glasses (5 ounces) has helped me to limit my wine consumption up to a point. Like the other posters said, if you REALLY like wine then you'll give up some other treat to make it work!
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    I love wine and I drink it.
  • shannon_reese24
    shannon_reese24 Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks everyone.
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member

Um, no. There are of course recipes that will include watering down wine but you use the cheap stuff for that.

A good glass of wine does not taste the same watered down by 50%.

As for the OP, if you love it, fit it in. It's worth it to find a way to fit in what you like instead of switching to something else just because of the calories.
  • skiclimbdive
    skiclimbdive Posts: 32 Member
    I'm an avid wine drinker. I drink about a bottle a week. Like someone else said, make it fit. Also wine doesn't carry as many calories as liquor or beer so it's doable.

I don't drink other types of alcohol unless it's a special occasion (vacation=cocktail, baseball game=beer or something). Otherwise I keep wine in the house and have a glass a few times a week with dinner.

Same here. I save up calories over the week so I can spend them on wine.
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Wine is already pretty low calorie. Try being a beer drinker who enjoys Double IPAs and Imperial Stouts that are 200-300 calories per 12 ounce bottle! You learn to either work out like mad if you want to drink that day, eat less calories and make them fit, or just deal with the fact you'll be going over.
  • ercaface
    ercaface Posts: 45 Member
    edited June 2015
    There is not substitute. I would like to say that I am successful at finding a way to make it fit into my calorie goals, but I haven't been yet. It is a work in progress. I am getting better. The way I see it is if wine (or any other food/ beverage) is a priority, I will find things that are less of a priority and swap them out. Secretly, I think someday I may be living on wine calories alone :)
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    I was amazed to discover that the wine glasses my husband and I use are TWO servings. lol. So two glasses of wine was giving us four servings. oy.

In the summer we like to have a gin and tonic, and although I don't normally do artificial sweeteners I did try a g&t with diet tonic. It really isn't bad at all, and I think gin has fewer calories than wine does.

When I do drink wine I sometimes make a wine cooler, at least in the summer. It doesn't appeal to me when it's cold out. I put ice and tonic in a glass first, then add red wine. Yeah, some of you on this thread are going {SHUDDER!}. lol. Tastes good to me, so that's all that's important. hehe

Other times I just have an ordinary glass of wine, but a smaller glass.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Bubbles. Champagne, cava, prosecco, whatever.

It was made it that way on purpose so that a lady can enjoy a drink and maintain a waistline.
    Honest.

Celebrate your commitment to your diet if you need to justify it.

• MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    yarwell wrote: »
    Didn't Weight Watchers produce a wine ?

Considering what they do to food, I dread to think what they'd do to wine...
  • healthnut050
    healthnut050 Posts: 26 Member
    I too can't live without wine, but because it's loaded with sugar I have to be careful. Take a few suggestions from here and try vodka instead. I like vodka soda with lemons and lime or vodka and crystal light! Perfect summer cocktail.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Bubbles. Champagne, cava, prosecco, whatever.

It was made it that way on purpose so that a lady can enjoy a drink and maintain a waistline.
    Honest.

Celebrate your commitment to your diet if you need to justify it.

Did you hear they are predicting a prosecco shortage this year? I've already started stocking up.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    I run for wine. That's how I fit it in. Daily. :)
  • robynmoosehead
    robynmoosehead Posts: 66 Member
    I own a pub & I'll throw in my two cents here.

I'm on my second round of weight loss. I lost two stone about eighteen months back when I wasn't working and managed that by sticking to 1200 calories and still drinking wine almost every night.
    My trick then was an accidental one, I'm not a big fan of wine glasses (I'm very clumsy, they're too easy to knock over) so drank out of these beautiful crystal tumblers my mother owns. That worked out at a 125ml glass instead of the usual half bottle in mothers other wine glasses!!

This time round I've cut down on my drinking. I'm surrounded by alcohol and it's too easy just to pour myself a drink if getting bored. I'm trying to make wine more of a treat for myself. I spend every Wednesday evening with my boyfriend and usually allow myself a whole bottle of wine then, I make it fit. I enjoy it, I want it and I won't miss out on it. I think of it's something you can make fit, why the hell not have it?!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Wine is already pretty low calorie. Try being a beer drinker who enjoys Double IPAs and Imperial Stouts that are 200-300 calories per 12 ounce bottle! You learn to either work out like mad if you want to drink that day, eat less calories and make them fit, or just deal with the fact you'll be going over.

Yup. Plus wine can keep once you've opened the bottle; beer not so much.

Spent extra time on the rowing machine today for my pint of Surly Overrated tonight.