Food to try while in America

Options
KiwiAlexP
KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
I'll be visiting San Francisco, New York and Honolulu later in the year and, being the slightly obsessive organiser, I'm working on lists of things to do and try while their. Since we get a lot of American TV here in NZ there are foods we don't get that I want to try - so far I have:
  • New York hot dog
  • New York pizza
  • Cheese steak
  • Matza Ball soup (not sure about spelling)
  • Jewish deli sandwich
  • Twinkie
  • Tastykakes – butterscotch krimpet (mainly because of the Janet Evanovich books)
  • Chicken and Waffles
  • American style macaroni and cheese
  • Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream
Does anyone have any other recommendations - I think we'll be doing a lot of walking so am not too worried about calorie counts while on holiday (although not planning to overdo it too much)

Thanks

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    NY - Levain bakery cookies, Dominique Ansel Bakery, eileen's cheesecake, absolute bagels, momofuku, Katz deli, Doughnut Plant NYC

San Fran... Tartine bakery, Tony's pizza napoletana, B&J's, Ghirardelli choc factory
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I would say a New York Style Cheesecake.
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    When I travelled to New York last year (from Oz), I had a ball trying lots of different foods. Tried a big pretzel and hot dog in Central Park. There's a restaurant called Havana Central that one of my NYC friends took me to and it was amazing. I had the seafood paella and it was the best I've ever had. I went to one of the Hard Rock Cafe's which is fairly commercial but I liked it. I liked Appleby's place as well.

Oh god, the NYC style pizza is awesome. Definitely try buffalo chicken on a pizza, it's so yum. Chinatown is great for Asian cuisines if you're needing to de-clog the arteries. Go to Pinkberry's for a frozen yoghurt.

Ooh ooh, there's this diner called Stardust which is totally worth checking out. The wait staff sing (obviously trying to make it on Broadway as well and get noticed) and it's rather entertaining while you're having breakfast/lunch/dinner. I went for a breakfast and had the short pancakes. They were so good.

Just some ideas. I lost 3kg in 3 weeks and ate what I wanted. I pretty much walked everywhere.
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    Chicago deep dish pizza
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    maybe starbucks... but honestly i prefer Dunkin Donuts coffee
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I had forgotten New York Cheesecake - and the singing diner sounds fabulous
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Here's are my suggestions (coming from a BiPolar Bicoastal):
    San Fran: Chowder served in Sourdough Bread Bowl (yes, you eat the bowl) from Fisherman's Wharf.
    NY:
    • Bialy...(because although you get Bagels anywhere, only NY has Bialys.
    • a NY Strip Steak from Peter Lugers (you'll have to Bridge&Tunnell to brooklyn. If you want the island's next-best-thing, go to Pete's Tavern
    • Pizza, almost every corner has good pizza so you really can't fail. For the touristy-I-did-it experience, John's Pizza (in the village, the one CPW is also good, but..)
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    seconding the bialys

My spouse had to make an exceptional side trip to get them. It was totally worth it and I'm glad he did.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    KiwiAlexP wrote: »
    I had forgotten New York Cheesecake - and the singing diner sounds fabulous

I went to Stardust when I visited NY and it was amazing :) NY bagels are a must! Time Square is great at night, it's so bright from the lights you can wear sunglasses - you look up and the sky is completely black.

My parents went to Hawaii and they raved about the snow cones there. Sweet black beans on the bottom, ice cream in the middle, and then your flavored snow/ice on top.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Try a root beer. My SO is from NZ and he says it's about the most disgusting thing he's ever tasted. :) I think they're great. Guess you have to grow up with it.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Fresh crab from Fishermans Wharf in SF then Bouldins Sour Dough Bread. In Hawaii have a true Hawaiian breakfast of Spam and white rice plate from McDonalds.
  • ginny92802
    ginny92802 Posts: 66 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Personally I think it's a crime to come to California and not eat In n Out (Burgers). Also I had a friend from England (English living in NZ) visit and the thing he went crazy for was See's Candy. They usually have a storefront in most malls.
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    ...Spam and white rice plate from McDonalds.
    Seriously?
    :)

• faegirl22
    faegirl22 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Fresh crab from Fishermans Wharf in SF then Bouldins Sour Dough Bread. In Hawaii have a true Hawaiian breakfast of Spam and white rice plate from McDonalds.
    This! Except the spam part =-p You have to try clam chowder in a sour dough bread bowl. Really almost any of the fresh sea food is amazing.
    And in San Fran, there is a restaurant on the pier called Scoma's. It's pricey but absolutely amazing. Also try the Irish Coffee and the breakfast in general from the Buena Vista Cafe, so so good! We had our Honeymoon in San Fran, you'll love it if you love good food.
  • faegirl22
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    Try a root beer. My SO is from NZ and he says it's about the most disgusting thing he's ever tasted. :) I think they're great. Guess you have to grow up with it.

My hubby is from Oz and he says rootbeer tastes like medicine xD
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    faegirl22 wrote: »

I know! That's what mine says! It doesn't taste like that to me though but I've been drinking it since I was a wee one. :)

• jsickman12
    jsickman12 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    San Francisco:
    Tommy's Joynt is the real deal San Francisco, and the Grubstake is also great. If you go down to the Warf try the Clam Chowder, but I recommend against Boudin, you can get he chowder in a sourdough bowl on at one of the Places on the warf for less and the same product. Godiva choclates is also a stones throw from the Warf. China town also has some amazing food. If you can find City View Dim Sum, best Dim Sum place I have ever been too....I can keep going there is so much in SF, damn I miss living there.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    San Fran: Taqueria San Francisco for a burrito!
  • rachael00679
    rachael00679 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I went a few years back and became obsessed with Snapple.
    Im easy to please though.
    Oh and in SF I went to Bubba Gumps but its overpriced and pretty touristy :) The food was nice though.

Have a great trip!
  • faegirl22
    Options
    faegirl22 wrote: »

I know! That's what mine says! It doesn't taste like that to me though but I've been drinking it since I was a wee one. :)

Same! Really high quality rootbeer or cream soda was always a special treat at our house or when we went to brewery when I was a kid