Relapsed

Options
2»

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Never eat under your estimated BMR! Go with the numbers MFP gives you. But be aware - the 1200 is the bare minimum that you may get if you want to lose at maximum speed and are not obese.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    set your weight loss on MFP to 0.5lbs a week. Stick to that. When are have got more in to the handle of controlling your eating you can try lowering it a bit more. Going straight to 2lbs a week is probably too much which is why you end up binge eating.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    And that is why I am here. If I ate properly all my life I would not need to lose weight. I get tips here and there from people I am taking some advise from above and making sure I eat more I do see people on here eat at 1200 but I guess everyone is different. I do not want to gain back all I lost so I would rather lose a little each week than binge and gain. I need to figure my BMR is that what I should be eating? Or do I eat under that? I will have to look that up I always mix up all those terms.

Quoting from above: Basal Metabolic Rate and find out what is your number. BMR is the bare minimum your body needs to function. BMR is the energy needed for your heart, brain, kidneys, liver, digestion, breathing, sweating, hair growth, nail growth, etc. etc. If you were to lie down without any movement for 24 hours – your body will burn BMR.

You need to eat More than your BMR number. Put your numbers in here (height/ weight) and you will get a more accurate figure for what your should be eating based on your activity level.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • FullofTrixie
    FullofTrixie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I did the 1200 with no problem up until now I think I will switch to 1 lb a week and see what they give me.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Read the first post of this thread.
    If you follow MFP's method for figuring out calories, set your goal to lose 0.25kg/0.5lbs a week and eat back about 75% of your exercise calories. Stick to this for a month and adjust based on results.
  • fat2fitshley
    fat2fitshley Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am set to lose 2 lb a week but that actually is not a reality because set at 1.5 pounds it gives me the same amount of calories. 1200. I am 5'8" 164 I have lost 40+ pounds rather quickly. Since March. I think you all may be right and I should eat more then I will binge less. In theory it sounds good. I also need to get back to walking I just really said to heck with it. To many parties and occasions.

You say you still have 30 pounds to lose... Is 134 realistic/healthy at 5' 8"? That seems like it would be on the low end of the spectrum for that height. As other posters have said you've probably been eating too little and now your mind and body are reacting to that. I would try upping your calories a bit for a slower loss to avoid binges and keep your body satisfied.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I did the 1200 with no problem up until now I think I will switch to 1 lb a week and see what they give me.

We can do a lot of uncomfortable and even unhealthy things for a while. But not for long. And that is good. Undereating is treacherous, because initially it seems to work, but then it stops working. Slow and steady is the way to go.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    First off I would open your diary so people can help with a bit more information.

Secondly MFP default calorie allotment and macro distribution is pretty naff so I recommend using this link to get a better recommendation...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

Thirdly food satiety values can have a huge impact on feeling of hunger, protein tends to help feelings of satiety, try to incorporate protein into your meals to help you feel fuller.

Drink plenty of water and try to figure out what your triggers for hunger are...at the moment I would hazard a guess that it is the result of a too high calorie deficit.

• FullofTrixie
    Options
    [

You need to eat More than your BMR number. Put your numbers in here (height/ weight) and you will get a more accurate figure for what your should be eating based on your activity level.
    [/quote]

Thank you this site said I should eat about 1500 for weight loss. That is so doable.
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yes I have that happen. It happened when I got under 200. It happened again at 185. I will find myself having a few good days and then overeating the next day. Part of me feels like I earned it because I lost 50+ lbs, part of me feels like I need it, and the rest of me just wants it. You just have to dig deep and somehow find the motivation and strength to continue. It can be a daily battle.

I certainly agree with what everyone else has said...lower your goal, eat a little more on a daily basis, and perhaps that will lessen your desire to binge.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    [

Thank you this site said I should eat about 1500 for weight loss. That is so doable. [/quote]

I have definitely found that eating more (than 1200) makes this getting fit/ losing weight thing sustainable and more about living healthy than dropping weight as fast as possible. The weight comes down slowly over time and you just start to make it a normal lifestyle. I do exactly what you have done, over and over again. I needed to shift my focus..still working on it
  • SunflowerSandra
    SunflowerSandra Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm a little shorter than you at 5'7" and currently 160 lbs. I almost gave up on this whole thing because I was so damn hungry all the time (at 1500 cals). Turns out I way underestimated my activity level and thus my bmr. Figure out your numbers, adjust your calories and keep going. You are within a healthy range already right? No need to lose so fast. Keeping the weight off is much more important imo.

Find food that you love and keeps you full! (Avocado & fried egg on toast anyone?)

I have also been much happier since pre-planning snacks, 200 cals of trail mix helps curb my hunger in the late afternoon. Also having a whole pizza when it fits your goal is not cheating and it keeps away the binge monster.

You can do this!! :#
  • FullofTrixie
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thank you all. I am feeling like I can do this. Going to adjust the goals eat a little more and move on.
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    justcat206 wrote: »
    How aggressively have you been trying to lose weight? if you've been setting your goals to drop 2 lbs/week you might just be losing too fast and suddenly the lack of calories is catching up with you (and body is saying "feed me!") - at least that's what happened for me in the past. Set calories low, worked out hard and a few weeks later I can't stop bingeing. If you set your calories at a moderate loss you might find that happening less. I'm also more prone to eating everything I see at certain times of the month and if I'm getting sick. And yes, the more you're able to plan some healthy fats and sweet treats into your daily calories, the less you'll want to go off the deep end and eat them like crazy.

This! Also, you caught it! be grateful, most people go off the rails and have no idea what to do, so they give up, good for you! One of the greatest gifts MFP gave me has been the ability to NOT have to go all the way back to the beginning when I screw up, I catch it earlier and earlier and I don't have to be an "All or nothing guy" the logging/friends/accountability help a lot!

• FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    It's not what you did before that matters, only what you do today and from this point on.

Think about how rewarding it is to work out and maintain a healthy diet. How did it feel when you had a good day? Now think about how you felt after a bad day? What kind of day do you want to have today? Or the next day?

Weight loss or gain is only a symptom of the type of life you live every day. The workout and the wholesome diet are the actual rewards.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    You have done really well with your weight loss so far, give yourself some credit. I would agree with other posters that maybe you have been a little aggressive and your body is craving more nutrients. My advise would be to set your goal to maintenance for a couple of weeks and re-group then go for a 1 lb a week loss and stick to the 1500 cals you said this would allow you...