What is heavy?

Options

Replies

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    dbomb76 wrote: »
    Uhm, negative. My belly is walking (and jiggling) proof that being in a deficit is not going to do diddly to help you "tone". That is actually how people end up as what is referred to as "skinny fat". Caloric deficit helps you lose weight, but you can also lose muscle in the process. As ndj said above people lift to help retain muscle mass, and that is what will help make you look toned - not losing muscle along with fat while in deficit.

You can't see definition in your abs because your BF% is not low enough. The only way to reduce your BF% is through caloric restriction. You don't need to "lift heavy" to retain muscle mass. You just need to use your muscles. Either way, on a caloric deficit you will loose both, but you will loose less muscle if you give your body a reason to keep them. Full body exercises will help to retain them. If you want bigger muscles then you need to eat more and progressively lift heavier things. That is why people go through periods of cutting and bulking. You cut weight to reduce BF% and keep up the exercise to retain as much muscle as possible. Then you eat more on a bulk and add more weight to your lifts to gain muscle. You will also put on a little fat as well during the bulk cycle.

We're not even talking about bulking here, and I understand how that whole process works just from reading posts around here from reputable lifters.

I seriously doubt that doing something like 30 Day Shred is going to have the same impact on muscle retention as lifting would. Sure it helps, but it's not going to be nearly as effective. I'm by no means an expert on this, so I'm sure the others already on this thread could explain it much better and give personal experiences.
  • Clo747
    Clo747 Posts: 112 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    dbomb76 wrote: »

I seriously doubt that doing something like 30 Day Shred is going to have the same impact on muscle retention as lifting would. Sure it helps, but it's not going to be nearly as effective. I'm by no means an expert on this, so I'm sure the others already on this thread could explain it much better and give personal experiences.

But not no efficacy, right? I'm not doing Shred, but the movesets are pretty similar, I think. I'd like to avoid the skinny fat if at all possible. And I am using weights, but I guess, at that weight, they're only really having a bigger impact on my upper body and not actually adding all that much to lower body exercise?
  • Clo747
    Options
    I have no idea how I managed that...sorry! :# Will repost:

But not no efficacy, right? I'm not doing Shred, but the movesets are pretty similar, I think. I'd like to avoid the skinny fat if at all possible. And I am using weights, but I guess, at that weight, they're only really having a bigger impact on my upper body and not actually adding all that much to lower body exercise?
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Clo747 wrote: »
    I have no idea how I managed that...sorry! :# Will repost:

Focus on the level of effort you're putting out. If your arms and legs are burning and wobbly at the end, you're building strength. You may not add muscle mass but you'll do a great job of preserving most of it while losing fat. For lower body exercises, remember that you have the weight of your upper body helping out. So squats without dumbbells are more effective than bicep curls without dumbbells.

Basically, if it's easy then it's not making you stronger. If it's hard then keep going until it's easy :)
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    This is the way I learned it: Lifting heavy means lifting about 80% of your 1-rep max for reps (typically 5 reps). So if you can reliably squat 200 lbs, for instance, for a single rep, then when you're doing a routine, like 5x5, you should be lifting about 160 lbs for five reps.

In order to know what your 5-rep weight is, you need to have some idea of what you can realistically lift for a single rep.

There are also other "heavy" lifting routines out there, like 5/3/1, etc. I mean, if you're doing 6 sets with really heavy weight, so heavy that you can only do 2-reps per set, you're lifting heavy. 80% for reps seems to be some kind of baseline floor in the literature I've encountered.

Now, all of that said, this doesn't mean you can't be effective with what you're doing. My wife runs a class 3x per week where all they have access to is dumbbells. They do all sorts of lifts that you would do with a barbell - squats, deadlifts, overhead press, etc. - plus a bunch of other stuff (it's an hour long class). Since they don't have access to barbells and can't do heavy lifting like 80% of 1RM, they make up for it with volume. Lots of sets, lots of reps. My wife is absolutely ripped... so I'd say it works.

I think the overall key is just to be consistent. Do the work, work hard, put forth maximum effort, and be consistent with your workouts. Don't skip. Consistency with diet and exercise is the key to results.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Think of heavy as a rep range rather than a set number. Because to every person "heavy" is relative

0 reps = TO heavy
    1 rep = one rep max- this is VERY heavy- borederline impossibly heavy
    2-5 reps= heavy
    5-10 moderately heavy
    10-15 = not really heavy
    15-20 = not heavy at all.

apparently this didn't get seen.

this is all you need to know about "heavy" or not.

that's it. There is more detail on that- but ultimately- this is all there is to it.

if it's to heavy you can't lift it- or you can barely lift it.
    If you can do it 10 or more times- it's not really heavy. plain and simple. that has nothing to do with level of exertion and we aren't saying doing 30 reps of something IS or ISN'T difficult.

But it's not heavy. Period.
  • kozykondition1
    kozykondition1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'll make it simple (and mostly-accurate):

"Lifting Heavy" is being unable to do the same motion with a weight more than 20 times in a row.

So kettlebells, spinning, yoga, pilates, zumba, jazercize, whatever is not lifting heavy.

Some of those might be "lifting heavy" for a period of time, but won't be eventually.

For me, pushups and pullups are lifting heavy. In a couple of months they won't be. Well, pushups at least.
  • Clo747
    Options
    Pushups are the bane of my life! Can only do a few before I've got to go to the knees (that was unintentionally dirty sounding), but its good to know that sort of thing might qualify as "heavy".
    By the sounds, I'm not lifting heavy, but should be doing enough with my deficit to retain the muscle I have while burning off the fat. I've just gotta stick with it and give it time to work, I suppose.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I'll make it simple (and mostly-accurate):

"Lifting Heavy" is being unable to do the same motion with a weight more than 20 times in a row.

Not at all, that's along the lines of stability or endurance training.
    Think of heavy as a rep range rather than a set number. Because to every person "heavy" is relative

0 reps = TO heavy
    2-5 reps= heavy
    5-10 moderately heavy
    10-15 = not really heavy

Jo's is really the best representation so far. To take it a step further it's like

(NASM guidelines)

85% - 100% is maximal strength training (heavy)
    55% - 85% is considered sub-maximal and can be further broken down into...
    - 75% - 85% could be considered a hypertrophy range
    - 70% - 80% could be strength endurance
    - 50% - 70% could be more stability type work

Of course intensity is only one of the variables needed when it comes to training. One has to be aware of their total volume and frequency as well.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options

0 reps = TO heavy
    2-5 reps= heavy
    5-10 moderately heavy
    10-15 = not really heavy

Thank you; this is the explanation I've been looking for.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

0 reps = TO heavy
    2-5 reps= heavy
    5-10 moderately heavy
    10-15 = not really heavy

• kozykondition1
    kozykondition1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    @Sam_I_Am77:

People progress just fine lifting 2x15. I would rather do that than a single one rep max.

I believe you misunderstood the question. OP is basically asking what strength training is.

And I can do probably 50 reps of half of my one rep max in most exercises. I don't call that "lifting heavy".
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    @Sam_I_Am77:

People progress just fine lifting 2x15. I would rather do that than a single one rep max.

I believe you misunderstood the question. OP is basically asking what strength training is.

And I can do probably 50 reps of half of my one rep max in most exercises. I don't call that "lifting heavy".

The question to this thread is "What is heavy?" and I provided an answer to that specific question or really just supported Jo's. I did not say lifting 20 reps is ineffective, Part of your response was,

That is not heavy lifting, that is more along the lines of what would be prescribed for stability or endurance training. I did not criticize the use of such a training variable because it has it's place in training, I just countered that it is not heavy lifting. If somebody thinks it is, then they have never truly lifted heavy.

I did not say 50% of 1RM was heavy, I said it was sub-maximal and provided further detail indicating that it is more of an intensity that would be used for stability type of work which often will use a rep range of 12-20 reps for bilateral movements and 6-10 for unilateral movements.

Re-read the comments, nothing was negative towards you or indicating what you do is ineffective. thanks...
  • JoRocka
    Options
    @Sam_I_Am77:

sigh.

The "heavy" is not indiciative of the level of exertion.

let me just copy and paste myself- again

if it's to heavy you can't lift it- or you can barely lift it.
    If you can do it 10 or more times- it's not really heavy. plain and simple. that has nothing to do with level of exertion and we aren't saying doing 30 reps of something IS or ISN'T difficult.

But it's not heavy. Period.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

0 reps = TO heavy
    2-5 reps= heavy
    5-10 moderately heavy
    10-15 = not really heavy

I've been lifting "not really heavy" and pretty successfully for the past few months.
    I've recently progressed to "moderately heavy" and am flirting with "heavy"

Due to the fact that I work out at home, I think I'll flirt with "heavy".
    I made my own gym and got most of my weights dirt cheap off kijiji.

The thing I've found is that as you approach "heavy" and "very heavy" FORM becomes painfully critical. You can get away with halfassed form when you're lifting "not really heavy", but you need to have that form down well if you are going to go full out "heavy".

Now that I'm flirting with Heavy... I'm seeing way better gains. I saw progress before, but I see more progress now.

You'll see progress with what you're doing... but the heavier you go, the more you'll see. IMHO.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    indeed. indeed.

There is nothing WRONG with doing the other things- you will still see results- but it'll be different. And again- not everyone's goals are the same. A marathoner probably won't care so much for that 1-3 range of reps. At all- but also probably doesn't need 15-20- he doesn't need so much muscular endurance- gets that enough while running.

But none of it's wrong or a judgement passing- just the reality- if you cant' pick it up- it's to heavy- and then all the way up to- if you can do 20 reps- it's not heavy at all.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    indeed. indeed.

There is nothing WRONG with doing the other things- you will still see results- but it'll be different. And again- not everyone's goals are the same. A marathoner probably won't care so much for that 1-3 range of reps. At all- but also probably doesn't need 15-20- he doesn't need so much muscular endurance- gets that enough while running.

But none of it's wrong or a judgement passing- just the reality- if you cant' pick it up- it's to heavy- and then all the way up to- if you can do 20 reps- it's not heavy at all.

for the record... I love your description of heavy. LOVE it.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

0 reps = TO heavy
    2-5 reps= heavy
    5-10 moderately heavy
    10-15 = not really heavy

Pretty nice listing. I would add that the movement needs to be done with correct form.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

0 reps = TO heavy
    2-5 reps= heavy
    5-10 moderately heavy
    10-15 = not really heavy

Pretty nice listing. I would add that the movement needs to be done with correct form.
    yes- mostly....to an extent.

The trade off being at some point you gotta put a little English on it and do the damn thing. When you are testing a 1 rep max- then I don't expect to see perfect form- I expect to see frothing- spittal- straining and possible pee. it's not going to be pretty. Do you want it to be done in good form? without a doubt. But bailing on a lift because it's not in perfect form- eh. not so much.

Being said- that is not advice I would give for beginner lifters- but I don't expect to see beginner lifters legitimately testing their one rep maxes either. One of the reasons you train so much is so when you get to that stage- the form and technique isn't under question- what happens is what happens and you know what you're AIMING for on the lift- past that- the only thing that matters is the lift.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    All I know is if you wanna run cool, you've got to run on heavy heavy fuel.