Does anyone know of any RELIABLE SCALES

Options
I have a scale called "THINNER". Something that I got a few years ago and it gives me strange reading and fluctuations. Assistance please?

Replies

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Eat Smart Precision Pro digital Food Scale had good reviews on Amazon.
  • Niajon16
    Niajon16 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    Eat Smart Precision Pro digital Food Scale had good reviews on Amazon.

Thanks Ill keep that in mind, however i meant a scale to weigh me. :smile:
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Eat Smart Precision BATH scale. It had good reviews on Amazon too.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I think that most moderately price digital scales are a little whacky. I have a WW one and before it will give a new reading I have to get on with a 10lb weight so it will reset before it will show a loss.

I am going back to just a plain ole analog.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Niajon16 wrote: »
    I have a scale called "THINNER". Something that I got a few years ago and it gives me strange reading and fluctuations. Assistance please?

What's strange fluctuations? Your body can naturally fluctuate +-/5 pounds a day
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I really like the Aria scale from fit bit. It is connected to WiFi so it auto logs to fit bit and syncs to MFP. I can go back a year to see weights and patterns. Also has BMI and body fat %
  • teephil
    teephil Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the Eat Smart Precision Plus. I've had mine for 4 years and love it, zero problems. But if you do get a bad one, I hear their customer service is great.
  • librarydogmom
    librarydogmom Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've been using a Tanita digital scale for years and just love it. I got mine at Bed Bath & Beyond, and there's always a 20% coupon for that store. Here's one like it on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Tanita-BF679W-Scale-Monitor-Water/dp/B0009V1YPK/ref=sr_1_4?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1433962985&sr=1-4&keywords=tanita+scale+with+body+fat+analysis
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have an old Tanita and new digital. the Tanita does a great job and the new scales batteries go out frequently. Both are within ounces of each other and both do body composition.
  • deoliveiraf
    deoliveiraf Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I like my Smart Weigh Body Fat Scale. Gives me weight, Body Fat %, Body Water %, Muscle Mass %, Bone Mass, & BMI.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I like my Eat Smart. Very well made, although it does have some odd calibration issues from time to time.

Any digital home scale is going to be a bit inaccurate, but it should be consistent. It's the nature of the technology used.

Almost all digital scales use 2 or 4 digital load cells mounted in the feet. The scale measures the reading from the load cells and calculates the weight from those readings. The load cells can be sensitive to temperature, so a cold morning can throw them off. The load cells used in consumer scales are also cheaper and less accurate in general.

The "gold" standard would be a mechanical balance scale like used in a doctor's office, but these do need to be calibrated periodically by a technician who follows a specific procedure. Getting one for home use could be more accurate, but you have to be sure to keep it calibrated.
  • brendasnz1
    brendasnz1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Anything digital.
    I use Salter MiBody
    They even work out your BMI. Muscle, Water and fat content etc. you just stand on the 2 small sensors and it uses a small safe electrical current to work it out. Very cool and I can then upload to my computer to graph. Track etc (can track multi people)
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    brendasnz1 wrote: »
    Anything digital.
    I use Salter MiBody
    They even work out your BMI. Muscle, Water and fat content etc. you just stand on the 2 small sensors and it uses a small safe electrical current to work it out. Very cool and I can then upload to my computer to graph. Track etc (can track multi people)

These bioimpedance measurements are ok, but they're very inaccurate in general. The most you can hope for is that they're at least consistent over time, so you get a quick and easy ballpark estimate of those numbers.

My scale does the same thing, and the BF% is several points lower than I calculate by other methods. Of course, the only way to work these out accurately is an expensive and time consuming hydrostatic test or DEXA scan
  • mxmakm
    mxmakm Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I think that most moderately price digital scales are a little whacky. I have a WW one and before it will give a new reading I have to get on with a 10lb weight so it will reset before it will show a loss.

I am going back to just a plain ole analog.

I need to try stepping on mine with a weight. I have a WW one too and mine fluctuates by 2-4 pounds when I step on it five times within seconds of each other. I wouldn't mind daily fluctuations because I know they are normal, but I did not lose 2.3 pounds in five seconds, gain 3.5 pounds in another five seconds, and lose 1.7 pounds in another few seconds.
  • Niajon16
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    Eat Smart Precision BATH scale. It had good reviews on Amazon too.

Ahh Thank you!
  • Niajon16
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I really like the Aria scale from fit bit. It is connected to WiFi so it auto logs to fit bit and syncs to MFP. I can go back a year to see weights and patterns. Also has BMI and body fat %

Interesting thanks!
  • Niajon16
    Options
    teephil wrote: »
    Another vote for the Eat Smart Precision Plus. I've had mine for 4 years and love it, zero problems. But if you do get a bad one, I hear their customer service is great.

Thank ypy for the recommendation!
  • Niajon16
    Options
    I've been using a Tanita digital scale for years and just love it. I got mine at Bed Bath & Beyond, and there's always a 20% coupon for that store. Here's one like it on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Tanita-BF679W-Scale-Monitor-Water/dp/B0009V1YPK/ref=sr_1_4?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1433962985&sr=1-4&keywords=tanita+scale+with+body+fat+analysis

Thanks for the recommendation!