100 pounds in 6 months

Options
13»

Replies

• Ibknute
    Ibknute Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    So in other words, as long as you eat at least 1200 or more a day, you can exercise as much as you want without starving yourself? This is what confuses me. I've heard a lot of people on here talk about how unhealthy it is to do that, but want your body start burning off your fat before you starve to death? Am I making sense, or just talking jibberish? I'm desperate at this moment. I want to lose at least 5pds a week, not a measing 1 or 2pds. I'm 5'3 and weight 192lbs.

Well I can't speak for other people or what you should do. I just know what worked for me and how I stay motivated.

Good luck!

@techguymike7801 - Congratulations and great commitment to a better you! I am on a similar journey to lose 100+ pounds and started about 35 pounds heavier than you. I am 6'4" so very similar situation and experience as yours. While my weekly average loss is not a large as yours is the important thing is being consistent as you have obviously been. Keep up the excellent work!

@rocknlotsofrolls - The amount of weight loss per week that is good/bad is unique to each person. The generally accepted and promoted rate is 1-2 pounds a week for the "best" overall improvement in health and fitness and to allow your body to adjust properly during the processs. Men tend to be able to lose weight faster than women and larger people like myself and @techguymike7801 will find it easier to lose larger amounts of weight especially early on. I have been averaging around 2.5 pounds a week with some weeks being 3+ while others have been more around the 1 pound number. Mike made a similar comment in an earlier post. I exercise 6 days a week and track all my food in MFP and normally fall into the 1700-2000 calorie a day range. I could reduce my calories more and probably lose at a faster rate but I am also coordinating with my doctor so that I don't potentially cause any new issues by losing too much too quickly. I recommend you consult with your doctor to see what is a reasonable weekly goal for you to set. So no, you don't need to starve yourself to death in order to lose weight but you do need to be smart about it so you not only lose weight but become healthier which is not tied strictly to weight. What works for one person may not work the same for another. The important thing is to start doing something and be consistent. You can experiment with variations but have specific goals or outcomes you are looking for to help evaluate what works for you and what doesn't.
  • techguymike7801
    techguymike7801 Posts: 47 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    Thanks for the reponses. What about month-to-month? Have you pretty much continued to lose about the same amount of weight each month or has this begun to slow down?

Do you get plenty of sleep with such an arduous 2x/day work-out schedule? Do you increase the intensity/weight/resistance/time of your work-outs over time or has that remained relatively constant? Any issues with chronic fatigue or over training?

You have done an outstanding job and can rightly be very proud of your hard work and incredible success!

I think I'm being pretty consistent month-to-month, however each month life brings a new challenge, weather it's the holiday, going on vacation to Vegas or having to celebrate 6 family birthdays in a month.

I think the biggest thing i have to realize is that I still have to live in the "NOW". I'm trying not to skip activities just because it may keep me from the gym or might tempt me. I'm doing this to get healthy so I can live longer and live better and part of that is living NOW.
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. You already look 100x better.
  • begazom
    begazom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Keep it up
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Hey Mike, from another "tech guy" named Mike, who lives in Vancouver (BC not WA!) - well done sir, well done!

I'm guessing you must be quite a bit taller than my 5'7.5" because I never would have guessed your after weight anywhere near accurately. Lookin' good, keep it up!
    lynndot1 wrote: »
    For a lot of people all it takes is small changes to their lifestyle to make huge impacts. My mom had always been 20-30 pounds off her goal weight for years, yo-yo dieting, she would make changes but never be consistent and never exercised. Finally I got her to do the couch-to-5k program and now she and my dad both run 3 miles a few times a week, and it helped her lose that last 25 pounds so fast!

That's a great story Lynn and is similar to my own. After my "aha" moment last summer I started running again in September 2014 and dropped 20kg without counting calories, just by being mindful of balance, and I'm now more than halfway now to my final goal weight that I haven't been at since our honeymoon 20 years ago.

I believe many people would find similar success by including regular exercise -- of any type -- in their daily routine. Likewise, those who are active that go on to stop (me!) are quite likely to gain. Guilty as charged here.

I'm expecting my last 17kg to be harder than the first 24 which is why I'm looking more closely at calories in and out.

• miker2077
    miker2077 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Amazing job!
  • mamabear1114
    mamabear1114 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome!!! I'm only on day four but you have really inspired me today! Way to kick *kitten*! :)))
  • mamabear1114
    mamabear1114 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    that's like 4 pds a week. That is what I want to do. I hear all over this board that it is not good to lose that much per week. Is this just a myth. Congrats!

It really depends on a lot of things. The rule of thumb is, no more than two pounds per week. However, if you have a lot to loose (100 pounds for example), you will probably find your body shedding a lot of pounds very quickly at first because of the drastic change. The closer you get to a healthy weight, the harder it is to lose weight in bulk and the rule of thumb is more justified at that point. Did that answer help at all, or?
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Yay TechGuyMike! Strong results, excellent commitment!
  • techguymike7801
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Hey Mike, from another "tech guy" named Mike, who lives in Vancouver (BC not WA!) - well done sir, well done!

I'm guessing you must be quite a bit taller than my 5'7.5" because I never would have guessed your after weight anywhere near accurately. Lookin' good, keep it up!

Yup, I'm 6'3 ;)
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Great job! You are doing so great! Maybe next time try smiling? :P
  • smkondy
    smkondy Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Wow-great job!!
  • techguymike7801
    Options
    vixtris wrote: »
    Great job! You are doing so great! Maybe next time try smiling? :P

Sorry, was just trying to replicate the "before" pic ;)

• jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    So in other words, as long as you eat at least 1200 or more a day, you can exercise as much as you want without starving yourself? This is what confuses me. I've heard a lot of people on here talk about how unhealthy it is to do that, but want your body start burning off your fat before you starve to death? Am I making sense, or just talking jibberish? I'm desperate at this moment. I want to lose at least 5pds a week, not a measing 1 or 2pds. I'm 5'3 and weight 192lbs.

You cannot safely lose 5 pounds a week...not at your weight, and even IF you could chances are you would do it through a non-sustainable eating plan and would gain it back. You should not go below 1200 NET, which means you need to be eating back some or all of your exercise calories. Most recommend eating back about half because calorie burn estimates on MFP are typically high.

Oh, and congrats OP. Excellent work!

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    cheering_minions.gif

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!