Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Replies

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    @skinnyjeanzbound beautiful picture! I am hoping to work up to 3-4 times a week walking.
    @claywalton husband and I exercise in the mornings, then if we really push ourselves we can take it easy the rest of the day :smile:
    @tlh0407 You need to store an emergency snack kit in the car, for days like today. Some dried fruit, granola, nuts, raisins. Just until you can get to a place when you can eat a sensible meal. Don't beat yourself up about it though, things happen. Reality happens when you are busy makin plans.... Don't borrow from the day before, its not THAT big of a deal to be doing caloric math. Just start tomorrow with two feet firmly planted and go from there :smile:
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    @becca-- you will be amazed at how quickly you build stamina and strength with the walking. Many of this thread's members started out unable to walk very far, and are now rocking several miles a day. Kaye and tammy (jtconst) come to mind, but I know there are others.

@clay-- I did c25k 4 years ago, and now I am an avid runner. Don't be afraid to modify the program as needed. Also, if you haven't already done so, make sure to get fitted for good running shoes--they make a big difference and will help you prevent injuries. As far as energy, I also go to the gym after work and find that the work out is what gives me energy. Even if I'm really tired, I try to force myself to go for a short run (my 2015 mantra is "just 15 minutes"). Once I get started, I find it easier to keep going.

My post to clay reminded me that some of the newlings don't really know about our mantras. At the start of 2015, those of us on the thread chose a word or short phrase to serve as a motivating force for the year. I don't know how many have continued to post theirs, but I copy mine as part of my goals to remind me that I often struggle to get started, but once I get going, it's always easier. This applies to almost everything in my life--exercise, grading, cleaning, shopping.
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Wednesday wish: I wish that I could get my head around this process again. So much of my success is mental and I'm just feeling it right now. Since May I've gained 5#. I MUST STOP NOW. I have all kinds of reasons and excuses, but they don't change the result.
    Thanks for always being here for me. I take inspiration from those of you who have been here hanging on for the long haul, and I love the fresh perspective and enthusiasm of the 'beginners'.
    Things are hectic here right now. A lot of the family will be here today to help me get some deep cleaning and painting done in order to be ready for the party. We have several medical appointments in the next couple of weeks, too. The strawberries just keep coming. I think that the big bowl we are filling to overflowing every third day holds 14 quarts. I've filled all of my pint jars with jam, and I'm running out of freezer space. I'm going to quit making strawberry desserts. Everyone enjoys one serving, then the rest is there for me, and I can't quit!
    Enough of my yammering. Have a great day.
    Onward and downward. Kaye

• jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Good morning everyone. First off Happy Birthday to everyone I see have been celebrating :)
    @Karen I am happy you got a diagnosis for your shoulder and you look really pretty in the picture you posted. Your friend looks truly beautiful on her special day.
    @grandmakaye I love the new profile picture. I am also so jealous of your strawberries. My cousin keeps posting pics of her massive quantities she is getting ready to make jelly as well. I have just a couple plants and get 5-10 a day off od mine so they mostly just get popped in my mouth lol
    @kah sorry to hear you are dealing with pain. Its probably good that they found the fracture though so now they can hopefully get it fixed up right.
    @laurie your bday weekend sounded like a lot of fun. Hopefully the kids can curb the enthusiasm the next few days. My niece and nephew get out on the 17th and are definitely ready lol

Well The hubby is back home for a month and the son is back on the boat for the next two months. We went out and bought the paint for the front rooms in the house and are supposed to get started this morning after I get back and walk the dogs. My hubby is so funny. He has always been stick skinny and then the last couple years has started putting on a little weight. So he tells me yesterday we are going to start doing sit ups together. I am supposed to go first and then he will do double what I do. I said okay and promptly rocked out 25. You should have seen his face. I don't think he realized I was able to do that many. I just laughed and asked if he needed me take it easier on him the next time. Well got to go get ready for the day. Have a great one and enjoy being the best you that you can be :):):)
  • claywalton
    claywalton Posts: 13 Member
    @skinnyjeanzbound Where do I go to get fit for shoes because I have plantar faciitis pretty bad in my right foot and sometimes it kills me to walk. Lifting weights gives me some energy but the running really zaps it from me, maybe I'm not eating the right foods. You're right about keeping going; I find that it's difficult for me until the 4th set of C25K, after that it seems I have my 2nd wind. the other thing I tell myself is that it's only a minute at a time I have to run, that helps a bunch.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    @Laurie~Yes, the doctor thinks the primary source of pain right now is the fracture. There is some inflammation as a result also, he gave me a topical NSAID for that which I use twice/day—it lessens the pain but is only temporary. I take a narcotic pain medication before bed, so I can sleep. Last night I was stupid, too, and took off my boot to ride my bike—short ride, only about 30 minutes but it was stupid. I’m stubborn and its stuff like this that makes them want to cast me. :flushed:

@Tammy~Enjoy the time with hubby and don’t go too easy on him. :wink:

@Karen~LOL, we were 97 yesterday. :wink: Great picture of you and your friend on her special day.

@Tracy~I hate days like that so started carrying around protein bars (I get the Think Thin High Protein—20g) when I know I’ll be out running around.

@claywalton~Look to see if there is a specialty running store in your area, I live in a large city so there are a lot of options here. They watch your gait, measure your feet and make recommendations on those parameters. I sometimes need a pick-me-up in the afternoon and either have a cup of green tea, a small coffee, or a V8 Energy—usually around 2pm, that gives me enough pep for my workout. Also, make sure you are fueling your body before and after your workout with combo of complex-carbs/protein before and protein afterwards.

AFM~Like I said to Laurie above, I rode my bike last night and I’m living with the repercussions today. I need to do what I'm told or I’ll be in big trouble when I follow-up with ortho end of month. We’re renting bikes in San Francisco for a day when we are there pre-cruise, so want to get as much riding in beforehand as I can, but not at the expense of my foot healing. :frowning:
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    Good morning everyone.

Happy herbs and spice day!
    June 10 is national herbs and spice day: preserve fresh herbs
    It’s the season of fresh herbs: basil, tarragon, chives, oregano, thyme, and more – they’re in abundance in our gardens, in the farmer’s markets, in the supermarkets. We celebrate June 10 as National Herbs and Spice Day; and you bought a bunch for a recipe calling for 6 sprigs. Now you have 16 (or more) remaining, standing in a glass of water, under plastic, in your refrigerator. What to do?
    Drying leftover herbs
    You could let them age rather ungracefully, forgotten in the refrigerator, until they're poor, shriveled brown little stalks. Or, you could conserve your expenditure by preserving them at their peak of perfection, to enjoy in stews, sauces, soups, and other fall and winter recipes.
    The most simple method for ensuring that the herbs will cook up a tasty dish next time is to tie the leftover sprigs with kitchen string and dry them by hanging them upside down from a rack or shelf in the kitchen (an open shelf, not one in a cupboard). While they’re suspended, your kitchen evokes the flair of an exotic venue. Lavender is particularly pretty processed with this method.
    When the herbs are completely dried, remove the leaves, discarding the stalks, and transfer them to airtight containers and place them on your spice rack. Then read through your cookbook collection to decide how to use them.

A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor's book. ~Irish Proverb

11857432.png

Tom
  • queendebor
    queendebor Posts: 112 Member
    Wednesday wish: I wish that I could get my head around this process again. So much of my success is mental and I'm just feeling it right now. Since May I've gained 5#. I MUST STOP NOW. I have all kinds of reasons and excuses, but they don't change the result.

I am returning again after a few months of just being too tired and too stressed to think about anything but what's stressing me out and making me tired. I really identified with your difficulty getting with the program again. I am a teacher, have two and a half months off, and I'm determined to get back into the daily habits of tracking and exercise. Thanks for the reminder that to get results I have to stop the excuses!

Wednesday Wish: I wish I was one of those people who loved exercise! Until then, I'm just going to have to do it anyway.

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    @clay-- what kelley (kah) said about getting fitted for shoes. A specialty running store is your best bet, but if that's not an option, then a full-service sporting goods store could also work. I also have flare ups of plantar faciitis, so I know how painful that can be. I'm fortunate that my health insurance covers podiatrist appointments and custom orthotics that I wear with my work shoes. If you have that option, I would make an appt to get your feet looked at. Those orthotics make a world of difference. I've found that if I'm good about wearing them with sensible work shoes, I have no flare ups and don't even need athletic orthotics provided my running shoes have really good arch support.
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Hi everybody,
    Haven't posted for some time so I'm going to do updates first.
    My DH Ron is out of the hospital and in a nursing/rehab facility, where they are making sure he gets his medicine (not always on time) and doing physical therapy. The room is really small and shared with another person, barely enough room for 1 visitor chair. He's bored out of his mind and refuses to eat the food there, so I'm having to take him food from home. But at least someone is making sure he's ok and getting him his meds, so I don't really mind (much) having to cook him meals and take them to him. The nursing home is getting paid to feed him, but he's so picky about his food he just isn't interested in anyone's cooking but mine (not that mine always makes him happy!). But he is feeling better so that's the whole point, isn't it?

I hit the 30 lb mark today, woo hoo! All but one pair of my jeans are too big, and those are ones I bought recently that are size 18. I was looking for something to wear today and came across a pair of capris I bought from a resale store that I've never worn. They are a SMALL size 20 but I've never been able to get into them before because the zipper's broken and sewn shut halfway up. I got them on easily today - but I'm not sure I'll wear them again! They have 6 BUTTONS HORIZONTALLY across the waist that you MUST undo in order to get them off, and when I'm in a hurry to GO.... well, that's not very convenient!

I'm shooting for 50 lbs by the end of July, not sure I'll make it but I'm gonna try! That's my BD and if I get anywhere near my goal, I believe I will treat myself to a spa day!

@clay, @skinnyjeanz - what exactly is C25K? Is that a running challenge? I just can't get my head around the idea of running, I've never liked it, even when I was in the military. I love to walk, and walking fast is fine, but I just can't see making that transition to running, and I'm not sure what the benefits would be anyway, or if the benefits would be worth it to me.

Wednesday wish - that I could get a solid 8 hours sleep, and that I had about 4 clones of me (or preferably, of Zoila on Devious Maids, ha ha!) so I could get stuff done at my house and still visit DH at the nursing home, and that I had lots of money so that I wouldn't have to worry about missing work (and pay) in order to take care of my husband.
    Tracy
  • ushkii
    ushkii Posts: 472 Member
    C25K = Couch to 5k, a program to slowly get you to doing a 5K run.

Making a note today to save my spot. Been reading some and logging my food. life is busy as usual, but trying hard to stay under my cal and log everything honestly.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    edited June 2015
    claywalton wrote: »
    I found everyone again, yay! So I figured out a way to eat healthy and my wife and her son eat what they want, I started keeping healthier foods in the fridge for me and is working great. I also added a new workout to my gym regimen, the C25k. I started 3 days ago, it's not bad, but it does take some discipline. I do that for the 1st 30 minutes then lift weights with whatever energy I have left....which ain't much;)
    What do yall do to get energy at the end of the day? I have some energy mix that i drink a few minutes before my workout, got it at gnc. I think it's more to feed the muscles than give me "pep".

Just make certain that enery drink is not loaded with cafeine ... which you don't need. Perhaps one of the trainers at the gym can give you insight into energy drinks for your workout ... and they might also suggest your do your weight lfting first, then your cardio type execise after. Exceuse me for butting in, but that's what I've read from people who are big into weight lifing .. it should come first after a warmup.

@Skinny-Karen, lovely picture of you and your friend.
    @Granma-Kaye ... like your new profile picture also.
    @JT-Tammy ... that was really funny about your surpising your hubby with the sit-ups.

Welcome back those who have been away a while. We all have our set-back and as long as we keep trying, we will eventually get to where we want to be.

AFM -- Wednesday wish ... that I sleep well tonight. Been having sleepless nights mixed in with sleep-filled days far too much lately. Don't understand why that switch just doesn't want to go off in my brain to sleep now/

Mantra --- Follow-through.
    Niki
  • Annr
    @skinnyjeanzbound The walking is great around here! There are paths that border the rivers, and of course if I get in the car I can walk the beach. In 2009 when I was letting Jenny Craig do all the cooking, I walked all over my CA. city. I swear I logged in 4-7 miles a day a couple of times a week. In Aug 2009 I weighed 265 and by the next summer in July 2010 I weighed 179.... Crazy...eh? I never lost it in my head, and my husband never really noticed, and I never demanded so my reasoning (which was valid) was why am I paying $400 to do this...I can do it on my own. Sadly there isn't any foods in the stores that have Jenny Craigs numbers so back it went on.

Todays TOPS meeting went really well! My idea of weighing in, putting your name in a drawing and winning the fruit basket was a success! It was frustrating to me to weigh in, lose 2 lbs but then get bummed because I wasn't the best loser. Hopefully it will level the "playing field" and get members to realize that its not a competition but acknowledging a loss is a loss, no matter the number. (oh and I lost for the 3rd week in a row of 1.50 lbs.) That made me happy! I got to ring the bell, and have peeps clap, and put my name on this numbers board. When that gets all filled up with peoples names, the envelope is opened that is on the back. Whoevers name is on that number square gets a free month of dues, (all of $3 but the number isn't important)
    Enjoy the day all!
    Becca by the Beach that is such a LOSER...ha.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    edited June 2015
    As I said in my last post, I've lost my motivation to go to physio. I had an appointment at 2pm today to see the physiotherapist for a reassessment. I got there at 1:30 and did a 10 min warm up run and then my core routine. I felt great after that and it reminded me that once I get there and get going I feel the benefits of the active sessions. Then I saw the PT, and after some tests she discovered that my continuing neck pain appears to be an overcompensation for weakness somewhere else. She gave me an exercise to do at home and then told my kinesiologist to restrict any strenuous exercise and only work on core strengthening until I follow up with her in another 2 weeks. :( Talk about crushing my new found motivation.

At home, I've stopped buying bread, crackers, cookies, and any other carb-y type food that I can substitute for a meal (which is often what I had been doing). Now if I want to snack, its only fruits, veggies, yogurt and nuts. Tonight I still wanted to eat so I ate an entire bag of salad... a whopping 50 calories plus a few tbsp of dressing. That's a lot less damage than bread and butter or toast with peanut butter and honey or jam, or a half box of crackers. I think eventually I will find that I don't really want the food, I'm just eating out of habit or boredom.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Karen Great pic of yo and your friend.

Kelley- Be careful with your foot and the fracture. You want it to heal correctly. A friend of mine who also has a hairline fracture of the Tibia. It took about 2 weeks before the pain subsided. She is doing better now and can drive again. She is also in a boot, there is a lace up version for driving.

Tracy- I am glad to hear the your DH is out of the hospital and in a rehab center. I know it can be boring there but he needs to rebuild some strength. Have you checked to see if there is an alternative menu that he can choose from at the rehab center. At the rehab my dad is in, they have alternative choices for meals that they can order earlier in the day. That is great that you bring him food from home but are you driving back and forth multiple times a day? Be sure to give yourself some breaks and encourage him to eat their food.

Tracy and Clay- Running is a good workout so I have been told by my trainer even through I am still uncertain and running is not my favorite activity. What I have learned is that running is a learned skill to do it properly and at the right speed. When I started running no one was there to guide me on the correct form or speed, my trainers at the time told me to run-LOL and UGHHHHH. So I would start out to fast and tire easily while trying to catch my breath. My current trainer told me to slow down so I was running at a speed close to a very fast walk. This helped to increase my endurance and improve my motivation. I have been working on running for over a year and it is just starting to click with me since I am learning to find the right stride and speed. My advice is if you want to run, talk to a running coach (running shoe store or a trainer) to make sure your form is correct. Don't forget to do running drills as well along with a good warm up. When running, I will still mix up my running speed between a fast walk, slow jog, race pace and sprint. I enjoy sprinting the most because I can stretch out and fly. Start slowly and work your way up with distance.

Becca-I love the idea you had about the drawing for those who lost weight. Did the lady who lost 6lbs last week have a big lost this week?

Queendebor-Welcome back. When does your school year end or are you already out for summer? I am counting down the days to the last day.

Tanya- Can you still do the exercises you like on your own but just slow them down so they are not strenuous? Core work will give you a good workout but I can understand your frustration with being limited. Do you workout at home or only at physio? Don't give up on exercise and motivation. If they can the area of weakness then your neck will feel better and give you more options.

To all those who are lurking- come say hello and we are thinking of you.

Robin- Hope all is well.

Wednesday wish- That everyone can find the motivation to stay on this journey even as they are overcoming the challenges of injuries and lack of desire.

An early Thursday truth- I am very disappointed in myself today. I thought I did well until I entered all my food choices today. My class had a field trip to the High School today- part of our Next Step program- introducing the rising 9th graders to the high school and everything it has to offer. Needless to say, this is not my favorite field trip- to loud and unorganized. Breakfast was normal, no morning snack (OKay), Lunch not bad (PBJ on wheat, cheese it's and a blue berry muffin) then the afternoon is where it went wrong. I had two swiss cake rolls (OK on it's own as a treat) then an after work meeting pizza was the snack and I did not refuse. Then I went to Panera for a salad. Good choice to a point but should have only gotten the half. Sadly, I did not exercise as planned because my plans did not work out today. Not enough time between meetings to get a walk in and the 2nd meeting ran to late so no swim tonight either. The only bright side is that I did walk around the high school today but I should have made better choices. Lesson learned and I will be a the gym tomorrow for a good workout in the morning.

Have a great day.

• Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    edited June 2015
    Good morning everyone.

Happy Corn on the Cob Day
    Corn on the Cob Day

Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same. ~Francesca Reigler

11857432.png

Tom
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    @Tom - Thanks for the Corn on the cob day - I will get on that for dinner tonight!
  • Annr
    @Lauriek70 Yep I was pretty proud of myself for chosing it. The fact that my weightloss group is made up of TOPS (members Taking Off pounds) and KOPS(members Keeping Off pounds/have met their goal) is an important thing to address. The KOPS members have to stay within their goal, (be at leeway) and they can never really get that basket once they hit goal. This definatly levels the playing field and recognizes they work hard just maintaining just as we work hard losing. And NO the person that lost 6 lbs last week didn't lose, she gained. I feel bad that she yo-yo's so much. At the end of the month we get a certificate saying we lost this much weight. (Mine was 2.75 lbs) but she was not part of the group that got certificates. Many times the week after she has a big loss, she is not in attendance. Then she has a big loss the week after, (the weight recorders take the total lost and cut in half to represent the 2 weeks gone). For me that would be so much stress. The idea of TOPS is that most do their own thing. The offical TOPS guide is like Weight Watchers used to be with the exchanges. It is not a set thing though. I usually ask her on her weeks she does lose, how she did it, tips and hints, but she is really vague about it all.
    Today I swam like I was being chased by the Devil!! I was swimming and some laps I swear I was gasping for air at the end... Another swimmer was beside me, so that helped me. (ooh they are half a length behind me, no you will not pass me!) My muscles are quietly screaming at me...
    My yogurt, fruit, piece of bread and 3 slices of turkey are yelling at me from the kitchen..
    Its strange that I can exercise, usually take a nap and still go to sleep at night like I was hit with a mallet. My body is definatly getting a workout!
    Take care all!~ Becca by the beach
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    @Laurie... I am usually quite active in the warmer months... walking, kayaking, hiking, playing slow pitch. The restriction works on the basis that for any strength exercise that I perform, if a certain muscle is weak then another muscle will overcompensate in order to complete the movement. The idea is to eliminate that overcompensation and the only way to achieve that right now is to not use the muscles. My PT believes that my neck muscles are overcompensating for a one sided weakness in my back, which makes sense because my neck pain is lingering and I have chronic back pain due to a pulled muscle on my left side. She wants me to strengthen that side of my back with a specific exercise at home. If she diagnosed it correctly, with that strengthening my neck pain should subside.
    I am allowed treadmill walking, bike, elliptical. I doubt I should be kayaking since it uses many shoulder/neck and core muscles but I didn't ask. Though I suspect working would involve the same type of muscle overcompensation as well. I can't stop doing everything. But as far as physio is concerned I will only be doing controlled core strengthening for the time being.

I didn't make much of a lunch today, but did manage to take a few good snacks to work. These snacks help stop me from grabbing food on the go. I'm so tempted to buy a loaf of bread for lunch sandwiches but I know I will over eat it at home. I don't really have any good lunch ideas (hate heating things up) so I use dinner as my only "meal" and snack the rest of the day. I stay under calories so it works.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Tanya- the pulled muscle on the right side and the back pain make sense now with limited exercise. At least you are allowed to do several exercises. I hope this works for you. Kayaking does work alot of muscles in the back and arm so not a great idea right now. I hope your neck pain subsides.

Becca- Congrats on the certificate. Great job with the swimming. The fun of having other people swim in the same lane as you. Just be sure you go at a comfortable pace for you while swimming.

Thursday Truth-Today was better than yesterday with food and the scale did show a drop again today so that is a positive. I did have an extra cookie that I didn't need but it tasted good at the time.

Mom and I had a meeting at the nursing home/rehab center today to discuss the future. He will be there for at least 2 more weeks, which is fine with me. Now, I just need to convince mom that she will need additional help getting him up during the day and at night. This will take some thoughtful arguments on my part.

Have a great day.