How to Log Movie Popcorn?

Hello my MFP friends,

Wondering how everyone handles logging movie theater popcorn. I've been to 2 movies in past week and got a small unbuttered popcorn each time (just can't go to movies without popcorn...)

My question is, how do you log it? I estimated using the MFP database, but was wondering if there's a better way? Maybe standard number of calories, etc by size bag?

Thanks,

Jean

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    No clue. I have enough struggles logging the popcorn I make on my own haha. I'm going to the movies tonight and think I'll just bring beef jerky.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Our theatres have nutritional information online. Have you checked yours?
  • JeanCricket
    JeanCricket Posts: 156 Member
    LOL arditarose :)

Thx Mirrim - great idea! The theater we typically go to is independent so no nutrition info on site, etc...but will check one of the chains. It has to be very similar :-)

Thx!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    I am one of these stingy folk who wont buy/eat popcorn at the cinema, its extortionate to buy here! - If I go to the movies, I might take a small pack of shop bought pop corn with me or some other small pack of sweeties to share with hubby...but generally I just don't do eating and watching films as a rule.

Hope you get the answers you're looking for - I would suggest leaving 300 cals from your day spare for this treat :smile:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited June 2015
    Just throw it on the floor like everyone else appears to do.

Zero calories.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    when looking at other theaters be aware if they use butter or oil. I would imagine that would make a difference in the calorie amount
  • Csszal
    Csszal Posts: 9 Member
    I contacted the theater that I go to, which is MJR, and they provided me with the amount of oil and kernels they use per batch and the approximate per each size bag and what butter topping they offer. I had to look up the calorie information from the websites of the items they provided and just made each size bag into a recipe with 1 serving. Has worked out so far for me.

A small un-buttered popcorn at my movie theater is about 46 oz and 266 calories from the information they provided me.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    not bad at all. good job researching
  • arditarose
    sijomial wrote: »

Zero calories.

lol. I worked in a movie theater in high school. True story.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    I rarely go, but when I do I usually bring my own water & snacks like mixed nuts or yogurt raisins or dried fruit. I would just used the MFP data and over estimate the portion to be on the safe side.
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Great research! I, too, have trouble even when I make popcorn at home.

As for movie theater popcorn (which I LOVE, by the way), I know people preach moderation. However, my way of handling it is to not worry about the exact number of calories per serving, because when you multiply by ZERO servings, you still get the same result.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    sijomial wrote: »

Zero calories.
    For the prices they want? God no. If I'm spending that kind of money on popcorn, i'm eating every kernel. Maybe even some off the floor. (Just kidding on that last part...) lol
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    The only way I can eat popcorn is to throw it in the air and catch it in my mouth. I would log it as 3 calories per catch. Its a great way to keep score, too. It's a good thing I don't go to the movies I guess.
  • arditarose
    michellesz wrote: »
    I rarely go, but when I do I usually bring my own water & snacks like mixed nuts or yogurt raisins or dried fruit. I would just used the MFP data and over estimate the portion to be on the safe side.

I could probably eat more calories in a few bites of dried fruit and nuts than a small bag of popcorn
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Regal and AMC popcorn are both in the database - I'd just pick one of those and go with it. AMC is less calories so you might want to go Regal just to be safe.
  • MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    P
    Hello my MFP friends,

Wondering how everyone handles logging movie theater popcorn. I've been to 2 movies in past week and got a small unbuttered popcorn each time (just can't go to movies without popcorn...)

My question is, how do you log it? I estimated using the MFP database, but was wondering if there's a better way? Maybe standard number of calories, etc by size bag?

Thanks,

Jean

Popcorn is just a kernel, so there's very little variation of popcorn types. Might as well log it like any other Smartpop or Wise popcorn. I bet the serving size is way bigger then it needs to be. Like 3 to 4 servings of that. Then I personally would quick add or buffer myself 300 cals for the melted butter if you ever get it.

I think the prices of any movie food those is absurd so I don't even worry about logging cause I cant remember the last time I had popcorn at a movie haha. That's a whole different problem in its own self though.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    I use the Regal calories in the data base. They are very high so you better stick with the small popcorn. :)

Last time I went to a movie I ate dinner right beforehand and then didn't feel the need to get the popcorn.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    YOLO it or sneak 100 calorie packs