Macros help!!

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    jpcarducci wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    The new studies in the scientific journals are explaining how calories in do not equal calories out for weight loss. If you eat NO processed foods, no iodized salt, no sugar, no artificial anything, especially sweteners, and eat only organic dairy and meat to eliminate exposure to antibiotics and growth hormones, and only organic produce to reduce exposure to round-up which kills your good bacteria in your gut... then you will lose weight. 1400 calories of clean eating is far superior to even 1000 calories of anything processed, as it has a much different effect on the body in terms of how the sugars are processed and stored. Try getting rid of everything in a box for a week, take some probiotics, and see the difference.

oh really?

please link me to these studies...

so are saying if I eat 1400 of clean calories vs 1400 of regular calories that I would lose more weight on the clean foods?? Really, is that really what you are saying?

O
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Simple question Do you know how her body works? As i stated it might not work for her. There are good calories and there bad calories, just like good carbs and bad carbs also with fats. She has to change something up to know what doesnt work. Its not rocket science!

Simple answer: yes. Barring an actual medical condition, human bodies have the same general physiology.

Really? In general yes we have a head, arms and legs that are all supposed to work the same, you ate correct. So in general every workout program should work the same for all, not. In general people are naturally over weight and some naturally thin. That would mean some hold fat worse then others and that is what makes bodies different. So again back to the point. SHE IS NOT HAPPY SHE HAS TO TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT TO UNDERSTAND WHAT WORKS FOR HER END RESULTS.

You're right that she has to do something different, she should stop cheating and undoing her deficit.

Yes snd maybe change when she works out or what she eats after working out when in recovery to help burn more fat.

Go read: http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/5

Also, since you keep talking about fasted cardio: http://www.nsca.com/uploadedFiles/NSCA/Resources/PDF/Education/Articles/NSCA_Classics_PDFs/does_cardio_after_an_overnight_fast_maximize_fat_loss.pdf

After I am done reading basics!!
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/is-fasted-cardio-the-best-for-burning-fat.html

peer reviewed study trumps an article on BB.com...
  • ladygirl123
    ladygirl123 Posts: 37 Member
    The new studies in the scientific journals are explaining how calories in do not equal calories out for weight loss. If you eat NO processed foods, no iodized salt, no sugar, no artificial anything, especially sweteners, and eat only organic dairy and meat to eliminate exposure to antibiotics and growth hormones, and only organic produce to reduce exposure to round-up which kills your good bacteria in your gut... then you will lose weight. 1400 calories of clean eating is far superior to even 1000 calories of anything processed, as it has a much different effect on the body in terms of how the sugars are processed and stored. Try getting rid of everything in a box for a week, take some probiotics, and see the difference.

I don't eat anything artificial, practically anything from a box except for organic gluten free oatmeal and organic low sodium lentil and vegetable soup maybe once a week. I barely eat meats unless organic, I mostly eat fish. I follow a low sodium (only use a pinch of Celtic salt) and low sugar diet, except when I have a cheat meal. Once maybe twice a week. I do take a probiotic, but thanks for your recommendations, I do appreciate it.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    edited June 2015

oh really?

so are saying if I eat 1400 of clean calories vs 1400 of regular calories that I would lose more weight on the clean foods?? Really, is that really what you are saying?

O
    Simple question Do you know how her body works? As i stated it might not work for her. There are good calories and there bad calories, just like good carbs and bad carbs also with fats. She has to change something up to know what doesnt work. Its not rocket science!

Simple answer: yes. Barring an actual medical condition, human bodies have the same general physiology.

Really? In general yes we have a head, arms and legs that are all supposed to work the same, you ate correct. So in general every workout program should work the same for all, not. In general people are naturally over weight and some naturally thin. That would mean some hold fat worse then others and that is what makes bodies different. So again back to the point. SHE IS NOT HAPPY SHE HAS TO TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT TO UNDERSTAND WHAT WORKS FOR HER END RESULTS.

You're right that she has to do something different, she should stop cheating and undoing her deficit.

Yes snd maybe change when she works out or what she eats after working out when in recovery to help burn more fat.

Also, since you keep talking about fasted cardio: http://www.nsca.com/uploadedFiles/NSCA/Resources/PDF/Education/Articles/NSCA_Classics_PDFs/does_cardio_after_an_overnight_fast_maximize_fat_loss.pdf

Those studies are also quoted in the one I shared. The one I shared took studies that supported both points of view.

Did you read the whole article. Like this quote at the bottom:
    However, if you're a male with roughly 8 percent body fat or more, or a female with 16 percent or more, fasted cardio probably won't make a massive dent in your fat-loss efforts.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member

I don't eat anything artificial, practically anything from a box except for organic gluten free oatmeal and organic low sodium lentil and vegetable soup maybe once a week. I barely eat meats unless organic, I mostly eat fish. I follow a low sodium (only use a pinch of Celtic salt) and low sugar diet, except when I have a cheat meal. Once maybe twice a week. I do take a probiotic, but thanks for your recommendations, I do appreciate it.

please ignore that poster, that post is 100% bro and pseudo science….

what you need to worry about is the following:

eat to your calorie target
    hit micros and macros
    keep lifting/working out
    It is OK to eat thinks like ice cream, pizza, etc, but you need to make sure that the majority of your food is coming from nutrient dense sources.

do this until you get to desired goal.

• jpcarducci
    jpcarducci Posts: 22 Member
    The only point i was trying to make she has to try something different wether it be dieting or training because its not working for her now.
  • usmcmp
    The only point i was trying to make she has to try something different wether it be dieting or training because its not working for her now.

Something does need to be different. She needs to maintain a calorie deficit. She is not doing that currently because she has cheat days. She should focus on that because it will fix her problem.
  • jpcarducci

oh really?

O

Those studies are also quoted in the one I shared. The one I shared took studies that supported both points of view.

However, if you're a male with roughly 8 percent body fat or more, or a female with 16 percent or more, fasted cardio probably won't make a massive dent in your fat-loss efforts.

The great part about both is some say yes and some say no. But they both say it will work for some types of people and not so much for others (in simple terms!) The key word is probably!
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member

This broad sweeping recommendation is relevant to any normal person who is dissatisfied with their body from a physical standpoint.
  • ladygirl123
    Ok so adjust your macros, if what your doing is not working you hsve to adjust. Macros still need to be clean eating! How many meals a day? I would try 40/40/20.
    Cardio am 25 -30 minutes. Train/lift in evening.
    cardio AM train in the PM. yes its 2 different things and needs to be split to get the effect. other wise you would already have results so lets start with 5 days a week take sat & sun off, 25 min of cardio in the AM. get up and have 8 oz of water and then hit steady state cardio for 25 min.

What you are suggesting is totally unnecessary for weight loss. She doesn't need to eat clean, she doesn't need to eat a specific number of meals, she doesn't need an arbitrary macro split that isn't based off weight/lean mass, she doesn't need to workout twice per day, she doesn't need fasted cardio.

What she does need is to weigh her food.

Also, you are at a normal weight for your height. It is at the higher end of the normal BMI scale, so you could possibly lose a few more pounds. What is more likely is that you need to gain some lean mass to help you lean out. What does your lifting schedule look like? Do you follow a program or just do what you want?

Hey, thank you so much for all your replies. I do weigh practically everything I eat. I only use measuring spoons for liquids - Anything that's tsp-tbsp serving. I try to only have healthy fats like coconut oil, avocado, almonds etc.! I eat 5-6 times a day, small meals..of course I have my cheat days, I have the worse sweet tooth, but I try not have anything at home that would tempt me.
    I do only want to lose a few more pounds and or inches. It just seems the older I get the tougher it is to achieve this.
    I am currently doing at home Body Beast program, on my 4th week. 5 days of weight lifting and one day of Cardio and abs. Working at my pace and fitness level. I'm not afraid to lift and although I'm not as strong, I'm willing to work hard to get there. For Lower body I can lift as high as 2 DB 25lbs, For back as high as 22.5 lbs., biceps and shoulders as high but struggling 15lbs - I don't work chest for personal reasons.
    I just decided last week to add 20 minutes of HIIT cardio on the elliptical right after days working on arms, shoulders and back. I figured if I go to strictly lifting and less cardio maybe I'll finally get some lean muscle. My routine before this was kickboxing classes even insanity class, HITT on the elliptical 30-45 minutes and lifting on my own or the gym, maybe 2-3x week, I got bored with this since it wasn't even making much of a difference. but it might have been because At that time I wasn't diligent with logging my food either. I Only logged if I went up to 125lb, I would go into panic mode lol...then I would count calories...1200 and would go back down to 120-123lbs.. Soo I've been yo-yoing from 119-125 for years. Never took into account macros until now. I was still cautious though with keeping fats and carbs down and fiber and protein up. I know now, big mistake. I appreciate all your help and feed back. What do you suggest? @usmcmp

Your cheat days are undoing all of your work. Instead of having a cheat, fit foods you want into your calories for the day. Cheating means that your diet is too strict for you to stick to.

Ok perfect thanks. I agree with that. based on all the info I provided what should my macros and daily calories be?

@usmcmp Actually my mistake, I didn't mean cheat days, I meant cheat meal, which could be a slice of pizza, piece of cake or 1/2 cup of ice cream
    Hey if you want to incorporate fastfood, pizza and icecream in your diets, good for you! IT JUST MIGHT NOT WORK FOR HER.

if she is in a calorie deficit why would that not work?

• jpcarducci
    sixxpoint wrote: »

This broad sweeping recommendation is relevant to any normal person who is dissatisfied with their body from a physical standpoint.

Maybe a little but I didn't think it was broad in this case, she stated her macros and workout plan, so changing in her current plan would help give her answers.
  • usmcmp

oh really?

O

The great part about both is some say yes and some say no. But they both say it will work for some types of people and not so much for others (in simple terms!) The key word is probably!

The great part about both is that none of them support it in anyone except athletes. She's not an athlete. As I said earlier, it's one of many strategies to give bodybuilders a 1% edge. They aren't for average people.
  • jpcarducci
    Touche... Glad to meet fellow enthusiasts.
  • usmcmp
    Ok so adjust your macros, if what your doing is not working you hsve to adjust. Macros still need to be clean eating! How many meals a day? I would try 40/40/20.
    cardio AM train in the PM. yes its 2 different things and needs to be split to get the effect. other wise you would already have results so lets start with 5 days a week take sat & sun off, 25 min of cardio in the AM. get up and have 8 oz of water and then hit steady state cardio for 25 min.

What you are suggesting is totally unnecessary for weight loss. She doesn't need to eat clean, she doesn't need to eat a specific number of meals, she doesn't need an arbitrary macro split that isn't based off weight/lean mass, she doesn't need to workout twice per day, she doesn't need fasted cardio.

Also, you are at a normal weight for your height. It is at the higher end of the normal BMI scale, so you could possibly lose a few more pounds. What is more likely is that you need to gain some lean mass to help you lean out. What does your lifting schedule look like? Do you follow a program or just do what you want?

Hey, thank you so much for all your replies. I do weigh practically everything I eat. I only use measuring spoons for liquids - Anything that's tsp-tbsp serving. I try to only have healthy fats like coconut oil, avocado, almonds etc.! I eat 5-6 times a day, small meals..of course I have my cheat days, I have the worse sweet tooth, but I try not have anything at home that would tempt me.
    I do only want to lose a few more pounds and or inches. It just seems the older I get the tougher it is to achieve this.
    I am currently doing at home Body Beast program, on my 4th week. 5 days of weight lifting and one day of Cardio and abs. Working at my pace and fitness level. I'm not afraid to lift and although I'm not as strong, I'm willing to work hard to get there. For Lower body I can lift as high as 2 DB 25lbs, For back as high as 22.5 lbs., biceps and shoulders as high but struggling 15lbs - I don't work chest for personal reasons.
    I just decided last week to add 20 minutes of HIIT cardio on the elliptical right after days working on arms, shoulders and back. I figured if I go to strictly lifting and less cardio maybe I'll finally get some lean muscle. My routine before this was kickboxing classes even insanity class, HITT on the elliptical 30-45 minutes and lifting on my own or the gym, maybe 2-3x week, I got bored with this since it wasn't even making much of a difference. but it might have been because At that time I wasn't diligent with logging my food either. I Only logged if I went up to 125lb, I would go into panic mode lol...then I would count calories...1200 and would go back down to 120-123lbs.. Soo I've been yo-yoing from 119-125 for years. Never took into account macros until now. I was still cautious though with keeping fats and carbs down and fiber and protein up. I know now, big mistake. I appreciate all your help and feed back. What do you suggest? @usmcmp

Your cheat days are undoing all of your work. Instead of having a cheat, fit foods you want into your calories for the day. Cheating means that your diet is too strict for you to stick to.

Ok perfect thanks. I agree with that. based on all the info I provided what should my macros and daily calories be?

@usmcmp Actually my mistake, I didn't mean cheat days, I meant cheat meal, which could be a slice of pizza, piece of cake or 1/2 cup of ice cream
    Hey if you want to incorporate fastfood, pizza and icecream in your diets, good for you! IT JUST MIGHT NOT WORK FOR HER.

If it doesn't fit your calories you are undoing your deficit. Whether it's a meal or a day. You have a lot of factors that mean you don't burn much (short, low weight, female, and age). You can easily undo a deficit in a meal. Stop calling it a cheat and make it fit your calories. Be accurate.
  • usmcmp

I'm a competitive bodybuilder and powerlifter. I hold titles and records. I'm not an enthusiast, I live this.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Good one!

I'm a competitive bodybuilder and powerlifter. I hold titles and records. I'm not an enthusiast, I live this.

Solid af response. Hahaha.
  • jpcarducci

Sorry to offend you!
  • ladygirl123

If it doesn't fit your calories you are undoing your deficit. Whether it's a meal or a day. You have a lot of factors that mean you don't burn much (short, low weight, female, and age). You can easily undo a deficit in a meal. Stop calling it a cheat and make it fit your calories. Be accurate.

Got it! Thank you so much. I will do that! Have a great night or day lol
    Awesome thread!! I definitely learned a lot THANKS ALL!
  • snickers061703
    snickers061703 Posts: 15 Member
    To reply to the studies: check out the medical conference "functional forum" on youtube, and read 'Brain Maker' by Dr. Perlmutter and check out the references in his book. The studies are too numerous for me to list.

Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they aren't there.
  • snickers061703
    snickers061703 Posts: 15 Member

so are saying if I eat 1400 of clean calories vs 1400 of regular calories that I would lose more weight on the clean foods?? Really, is that really what you are saying?[/quote]

... that is just what I'm saying. The body processes different sugars differently, and these pathways determine fat gain or not.
  • usmcmp
    To reply to the studies: check out the medical conference "functional forum" on youtube, and read 'Brain Maker' by Dr. Perlmutter and check out the references in his book. The studies are too numerous for me to list.

Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they aren't there.

Perlmutter works with Mercola and is a fan/follower of Dr. Oz. That's all I need to know about those "studies". Fear mongering and snake oil salemen.