Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Put aside the weight vs LBM discussion, the studies make it clear that most fitness buffs and weight loss program followers here (and elsewhere) are over consuming protein.

This won't hurt them, and can be tasty, but does tend to make ones daily diet more expensive, or force people to turn to protein supplements unnecessarily.

What studies would those be?

@sixxpoint has posted his list of 20+ studies claiming the above recommendations are accurate multiple times. Vague references to "the studies" that say otherwise so far isn't standing up to his claims.

Those would be the very same studies showing elite bodybuilders and endurance athletes doing well on .6 to .8 grams. @sixpoint isn't the only one to have read up.

Popular advice here typically recommends a lot more protein, backed by folklore and nothing else.

My apologies, I thought you were claiming the 0.6 to 0.8 recommendation was too high. I misinterpreted your post.

I agree those who advocate significantly more than that are most likely overconsuming.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »
    I'm a low-carber, less than 10% carbs, so keto range, but I'm the odd one out and eat more protein. I did keto for about 9 mo at the recommended 20-25% protein. Now, I aim for 120-130g per day. Because weights. And I just plain feel better. That puts me between 30 and 35% protein depending.

Keto isn't a magic formula. I had to tweak mine as I approached my weight goal and became more active.

Curious question; I've often seen it said that you can't do high protein with keto because protein is insulinogenic. Have you confirmed your keto status (I think people use strips), and have you had any issues with the higher protein level?

No. I don't bother with strips. Some people do, but I'm just not interested. Well, that isn't true. I just don't want to spend the money. I've eaten sub-40g of carbs for over a year. I gauge my health and performance. And I'm happy with them now. Not at all scientific. Sorry. I have read, that really gluconeogenesis is really more demand-driven. I'll have to pin that source down. I can't remember off the top of my head. I tried all the "more fat" suggestions from the keto community, and when that failed me, I started reading up on protein, then made the switch.

The only change I've noticed with increasing the protein is having more energy. Everything else had stayed the same. Fat is still high, I would consider my protein more "adequate protein" than "high." I could eat more protein, and I have eaten less, which unfortunately over-time decreased my overall satiety and available energy...) I think this small jump in protein consumption has helped as I was feeling a little more fatigued than I should.

Which really only goes to show that there isn't only one way to eat. I thought normal keto was it for me, but over time found slightly higher protein serves my aims better. And that makes me a bit of the weirdo in the keto-community. But I don't care so much about that.

Sorry I can't give you more specifics. :disappointed:
    Maybe someone else around has actual data.

Eh, that basically answers the question really. Nice to see you kept your options open to what works for you as opposed to following "the rules". Everyone seems so militant and not open to things that may work better. Never really understood the "one true way" mentality.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    I agree those who advocate significantly more than that are most likely overconsuming.

No worries!

Maybe the big protein promoters are BBQ sales people or butchers?

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Protein is more important in calorie deficit to preserve muscle. I look at protein like insurance. If you don't mind eating more, do it.
    I swear I've seen other studies but here's one on young male athletes:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19927027
    CONCLUSIONS:
    These results indicate that approximately 2.3 g x kg(-1) or approximately 35% protein was significantly superior to approximately 1.0 g x kg(-1) or approximately 15% energy protein for maintenance of lean body mass in young healthy athletes during short-term hypoenergetic weight loss.

^That's about 1 gram per pound total body weight.
  • MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 132 pounds; 5ft1" tall; female. I dont know my body-fat percentage (but i have a slightly chubby build with fat thighs and a flat belly, if that helps any!). I've lost 18 pounds so far and i have around 20 pounds more to lose.

My question is am i eating enough protein to maintain lean muscle mass whilst im in a calorie deficit? I dont want to be losing muscle instead of fat whilst im dieting.

At the moment my calories are set to 1200 a day (deficit of only 360 cals but MFP wont let me drop my cals any lower).

These are my macros (Keto):-
    Carbs: 5% , 15g
    Fat: 70% , 93g
    Protein: 25% , 75g

Is this enough protein to maintain lean muscle mass?

I thought you were meant to eat 0.8g protein per pound of your bodyweight, but a couple of people have told me im wrong, that you should only eat 0.8g protein per pound of LEAN muscle mass, not bodyweight. Then someone else told me i should be shooting for 1g per kg of bodyweight. And someone else said 0.6g per pound of bodyweight. Im soo confused! What the correct range to avoid catabolism?

I asked a friend once and he said "Nope!" immediately lol Then I said another and he was like "Nope!" I asked why and he was like "You can never have too much" lol I never checked into it but I just get what I can when I can, if your gut feeling is to have some more, have some more!.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »
    Protein is more important in calorie deficit to preserve muscle. I look at protein like insurance. If you don't mind eating more, do it.

Question: How many of us are young male athletes?

Your protein needs change as you age. What might be useful for a 16, 18 or 20 year old is not going to be the same for a 30, 40, or 50 year old.

The devil is in the details.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Just check this out when you have the time. Skip to about half way when they discus Keto dieting as he discusses macro ratios.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u40zJA3RqM8

This was really interesting. Thanks.

And thanks to everyone for your input.

I'll keep my protein 20-25% max and my carbs 5% or below, fats 70-75% and see where i go. Hopefully i will detect some stronger ketones soon as ive only been measuring trace up til now (maybe its b/c my protein was too high as mentioned).
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd swap some fat cal's for some proteins.. Then again, personally I wouldn't waste my time with something that doesn't let me eat carbs
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »
    CONCLUSIONS:
    These results indicate that approximately 2.3 g x kg(-1) or approximately 35% protein was significantly superior to approximately 1.0 g x kg(-1) or approximately 15% energy protein for maintenance of lean body mass in young healthy athletes during short-term hypoenergetic weight loss.

^That's about 1 gram per pound total body weight.

This doesn't apply to the keto diet.