What was your 'no more!' Moment

Options
cazbit
cazbit Posts: 122 Member
Do you have one?

I have done diets in the past, half heartedly, losing half a stone then falling off the wagon, always feeling deprived when on a diet, I was stuck in that cycle for ten years.

Two months ago I was brushing my teeth, looking at the reflection in the mirror I seen this big swollen fat face that didn't look like me. Five stone overweight. I thought, nope, no more!

That's was it, utter disgust. Two months later, 16lbs down and I have changed my whole approach to my nutrition and change my hobbies so they are less about reading books, watching TV and more being part of a running club and going to exercise classes and swimming twice a week. I look better, I feel better and it feels more like a way of life than a 'diet'

Did you have a defining moment that put you onto this path?

Replies

• mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, I didn't. I was just giving it another try for about the millionth time lol. I am still in shock sometimes that I actually did it.
  • Seigla
    Seigla Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    (I don't have to go back to 76, because I also gained some muscle mass during the years).
    cazbit wrote: »
    Do you have one?

I have done diets in the past, half heartedly, losing half a stone then falling off the wagon, always feeling deprived when on a diet, I was stuck in that cycle for ten years.

Two months ago I was brushing my teeth, looking at the reflection in the mirror I seen this big swollen fat face that didn't look like me. Five stone overweight. I thought, nope, no more!

That's was it, utter disgust. Two months later, 16lbs down and I have changed my whole approach to my nutrition and change my hobbies so they are less about reading books, watching TV and more being part of a running club and going to exercise classes and swimming twice a week. I look better, I feel better and it feels more like a way of life than a 'diet'

Did you have a defining moment that put you onto this path?

Well done! Interesting that you really had 1 moment that made you realize that this is enough. For me it took some time to realize.

I quit smoking and then I quickly gained like 10 kg, becoming 106 kg in total. 8 years before that I was 76 (when I was 18), I was gaining gradually after that.

I always said: if I become 100 kg I will really start losing weight, never expecting that to ever happen. But yeah than it did. It was much harder to walk and cycle, I had pain in my feet and legs and people started commenting (they were surprised to see me like that, as I've always been a sportsman). I felt miserable. I realized that my health and fitness are really important for my happiness. I found this forum and got a lot of advice. I learned about CICO and so I started to make gradual changes to my exercise routine and diet. I downloaded an app to track my weight, and seeing this graph go down gave me a lot of motivation. Now I am 84 kg, losing my final 4-5 kg
  • GemeliaFP
    GemeliaFP Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hiya! I was looking at my photographs, looked as some from a few years ago when I was on holiday! I was so small and skinny... Then I stared looking at some more recent ones and noticed how horrible I looked! I've been trying to start dieting ever since but I have no been able to stick to it! I started again last week and hoping to change for good! 16 lbs is great.. Well done! That is probably my goal as well! If you need any support and motivation then please do add me :)
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    It was about 5 years ago and I was in a restaurant bathroom with the most unflattering lighting imaginable ( you know the kind) and I saw dimply fat under my arms. That was it. Made me feel out of control- and old to boot! I went on WW and lost over 20 pounds. I use MFP now to lose some gain back weight and maintain,
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I didn't look terrible, and I wasn't even classified as overweight. It was a hike through the mountains in Kauai that nearly had me passing out at the end. I was so out of shape, I was embarrassed for myself.
  • helenbenzie75
    helenbenzie75 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    For me it was not being able to shop in normal fashion shops I had to go the large section and the range of clothing there wasn't great for someone in their early twenties (was 10 years ago). I also couldn't walk up a flight of stairs in a shopping centre without getting out of breath, and I hate to admit this but I though nobody would love me the way I was because I didn't love myself. 84lb and 8+ years later the weight has stayed off, I'm in a very happy stable relationship and couldn't be happier!! :smile:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    when i saw a number on the scale I swore I would never get to. that was it
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    when xxl shirts were getting snug and I barely squeezed into 42" waist pants
  • Clo747
    Clo747 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I ripped my very favourite jeans with my fat butt! Those jeans had been getting tighter and tighter. I ignored and squeezed into them anyway. Then one day...riiiiiiiiiiip! No bueno.
  • Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I was lying in bed and my heart was beating strangely, maybe a bit rushed. That and the creases getting warm and sweaty was enough. Happy to say my heart feels fine and no more sweaty bits where they shouldn't be, since I've lost 36lbs. It's the most I've ever lost and I feel great. That has made me keep going :)
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I was in K-Mart in the intimate section shopping for bras because the size I would always order online didn't fit anymore. I had to actually try on bigger ones to see what my "new" size was. I cried. Same thing with my shirts. I was not longer an XL but had to start getting XXL.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    When I was eating right and working out like a fiend and still was fat. I was at the end of my rope. I was doing what I needed to do, but the results weren't reflecting my hard work.
    I decided to try something different...something I was so skeptical about. (I question EVERYTHING) I actually wanted to prove it didn't work..I was wrong. My life changed!
    Sometimes, even when you know and do all the right things....you just need a simple minor change to make the magic happen.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I've had 'A-ha' moments several times in my adult life. I've gained and lost 2 or 3 large sized adults in the past 20 years but this time it's different. I realized that I am finally in a place where I am really happy, and have so many great things ahead that I want to enjoy it and feel good. I'm tired of hurting and aching and being tired. I'm down 18 lbs. so far and have about 45-50 to go to reach my goal of 185 lbs.
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have been overweight all my life and have tried various diets in the past but it wasn't until November 2014 when I was on holiday with my other half and his family that I had my 'enough is enough' moment. I was really proud of myself at having taken and worn bikinis but after two weeks of watching the hotel staff swoon over his size 12 sister my condifidence quickly dwindled and I thought 'You know what, I'm finally fed up of being the fat chick at the party'. I was fed up with having a mission trying to find a new pair of jeans, I was fed up of the wobbles and bumps, and I was fed up of the irrational jealousy I felt whenever I saw my OH look at other women on TV.
  • cazbit
    cazbit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the amazing responses! It's wonderful to hear other people's stories.

There were several moments I could point to and say why wasn't that it, like when my adorable brother looked at a very unflattering picture of me and said I looked like a silverback (cruel yes but I think it was his way of a prod - and I actually did look like a silverback in the picture!!)

I've went from the UK size 10 steadily to a size 20 and had the embarrassing moment in a sports shop when I was told by a boy half my age 'oh we don't stock your size'

I have tons of those stories but none of them was the wake up call. That reflection looking back at me in the mirror didn't look anything like me, and I think that frightened me, so it's great knowing the stories you have all had.
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I had always been fit, I got hurt and handled the recovery horribly. I gained 50lbs and made every excuse not to work out: I have plates and screws all up and down my back, I have hypothyroidism, I can't workout like I used to so what's the use, THEN I saw one of the military guys who worked with me come back from Afghanistan, his leg was blown off by a roadside bomb. The day he left the hospital with his new prosthetic leg he ran a mile, over 200 of us stood outside to watch him attempt the run, I knew THEN my bs was BS!! I went home and got in my shorts and running shoes and started to workout again. Its not always easy to workout, I broke my foot last summer and it took 8 months and a surgery to fix it, but I came back as soon as I could. It's a mind game and there's a committee of A-holes in my head feeding me BS about "age, old injuries, and other stuff" trying to knock me down, but there's a voice that is the old me he's in the corner doing pushups and saying LET'S GO!!
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    My brother's in the USAF, and his fitness test was rolling around and he kept bragging about his diet and exercise regime (his was rather extreme looking back).

He was planning to visit in a couple months, and I was the highest weight in my life. But if his measly butt can run/lose weight, I should've been able to do it, too. Down almost 18 pounds since March, and I'm gonna keep it this way this time.

• chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Was at the park with my son and he wanted me to go down the slide with him, I knew I wouldn't fit... I knew there were people watching and I'd feel so very embarrassed.

That moment was my turning point, I've lost 50lbs so far and am back down to the size I was when I met his father but I have a lot more to go. I never again want to tell my son I can't do something because I'm too big! That is NOT an excuse I'm willing to accept!
  • CoffeeSlayer
    CoffeeSlayer Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My moment was a perfect storm of multiple things. My grandfather passed away and the sadness I experienced was profound, I was turning 40 that year, wedding rings no longer fit, my fat pants were tight and I really was upset about the way I looked on a daily basis. I just woke up one morning and said today is the day and I never looked back. That was a year ago this month. I am down 66 lbs and feel better now than I have for 15 years.
  • BlissShrable
    BlissShrable Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A couple years back I worked my butt off to get my weight down after having 3 kids in 3 years, but only ended up getting down to around 225 before just completely giving up. Fast forward to a little over 3 months ago, I had went to the doctor for my routine check up and heard the nurse call out 260 when I was on the scale. Even though it was only me and the nurse in the room, I was completely embarrassed and disappointed in myself that I had gained so much. When I left the office that day, I said no more. Im back to 220, still going strong, and training to run my first 5k soon. :wink: