Best cardio/weight loss machines at the gym

Options
2»

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    If you are talking about one machine being better than another (for calorie burns) then its really more dependant on the user rather than the machine. Im also ignoring the truism of use the one you like etc.

In terms of the cardio then the rower will also give you a full body workout, but if you dont put the effort in, then you could burn more calories using any of the other machines. I see many people just going through the motions and spending more time surfing the net or just wandering around so an hours exercise isnt really an hours actual exercise more an hour they just happened to be in the gym.

Im also ignoring the exercise is for health, cardio v weights v kitchen etc etc zzzzzz arguments.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    If you are talking about one machine being better than another (for calorie burns) then its really more dependant on the user rather than the machine. Im also ignoring the truism of use the one you like etc.

In terms of the cardio then the rower will also give you a full body workout, but if you dont put the effort in, then you could burn more calories using any of the other machines. I see many people just going through the motions and spending more time surfing the net or just wandering around so an hours exercise isnt really an hours actual exercise more an hour they just happened to be in the gym.

Im also ignoring the exercise is for health, cardio v weights v kitchen etc etc zzzzzz arguments.

Agree with all this. And after doing actual rowing, very few people use a rower correctly. If you do want to use a rower, search for videos online how to use it properly. The best videos refer to the rower by correct name (ergometer) and are coaches of racing teams or rowing clubs.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    These guys are making it way to difficult, jump on the machine you enjoy the most, for me it is the cross trainer, set it to the levels that allow you to get an intense workout in, whatever that is for YOU, then go for it girl! If you enjoy switching up, then do it. You will loose weight much faster by the longer and harder your cardio workouts are! I gibe about 45 min to my cross trainer, while on it I switch it up I use weights, I change my resistance to work different muscles, ect. Then I gibe about 30 min to weight training, while you don't burn as many calories, you can do some more work on focused areas like your love handles, toning those areas and making them look good! Jump on aachine, rock your workouts, eat healthy and you'll see lbs drop and you'll be happy!

How many different ways can I say that this is all wrong?

Exercise doesn't make you lose weight.

You cannot spot tone and lose fat in specific locations.

Just for starters.

It isn't wrong for some people. Cardio can help regulate appetite in some people and it does give a margin of error for food. And increasing resistance does call on muscle work.

Where did she say anything about regulating appetite, allowing a margin of error for food and anything about muscle work?

She didn't have to for any of that to be true
  • tomatoey
    Options
    IN general it's great for compliance for a lot of people. Not necessary, no, but really, really helpful. And it's good for other reasons too. No need to pi$$ on anyone who suggests cardio can help, come on
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    These guys are making it way to difficult, jump on the machine you enjoy the most, for me it is the cross trainer, set it to the levels that allow you to get an intense workout in, whatever that is for YOU, then go for it girl! If you enjoy switching up, then do it. You will loose weight much faster by the longer and harder your cardio workouts are! I gibe about 45 min to my cross trainer, while on it I switch it up I use weights, I change my resistance to work different muscles, ect. Then I gibe about 30 min to weight training, while you don't burn as many calories, you can do some more work on focused areas like your love handles, toning those areas and making them look good! Jump on aachine, rock your workouts, eat healthy and you'll see lbs drop and you'll be happy!

Just for starters.

It isn't wrong for some people. Cardio can help regulate appetite in some people and it does give a margin of error for food. And increasing resistance does call on muscle work.

Where did she say anything about regulating appetite, allowing a margin of error for food and anything about muscle work?

You were defending what she wrote, but you didn't write anything relevant to what she or I wrote.

What was the point?
  • chivalryder
    Options
    IN general it's great for compliance for a lot of people. Not necessary, no, but really, really helpful. And it's good for other reasons too. No need to pi$$ on anyone who suggests cardio can help, come on

Who ever said that cardio doesn't help for numerous different health related things?

What was stated was that exercise doesn't make you "lose weight much faster" which, frankly, shouldn't really be anyones goal. That could be left for another discussion.

It was also stated that spot reduction doesn't happen.

So, again, whats your point?
  • tomatoey
    Options

Who ever said that cardio doesn't help for numerous different health related things?

What was stated was that exercise doesn't make you "lose weight much faster" which, frankly, shouldn't really be anyones goal. That could be left for another discussion.

My point is that it can help people lose weight faster, if it helps people stick to a larger deficit than they would otherwise. And it does contribute to that deficit. Some people need to have cardio in there to make any headway.
  • tomatoey
    Options

Just for starters.

You were defending what she wrote, but you didn't write anything relevant to what she or I wrote.

What was the point?

What I wrote was absolutely relevant to those people who do benefit from cardio for weight loss. And that's about as much time as I'm giving to this discussion.
  • geekandgranola
    geekandgranola Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Since the keys have pretty much been covered here (re: spot reducing, calorie deficit, do what you enjoy), I just want to make note of this.
    You will loose weight much faster by the longer and harder your cardio workouts are!

Please do not use that statement as a guideline. Your workouts do not need to be as long and hard as possible to see a benefit and your workouts do not need to (and should not) require that you push yourself to your max every time. It's important that you mix up your intensity throughout your exercise days to allow for muscle repair, to avoid a plateau, and avoid fatigue. If you're interested, do some research on cardio interval training. This is a great way to get a good calorie burn during and after your workout, in a shorter amount of time.

• chivalryder
    Options

My point is that it can help people lose weight faster, if it helps people stick to a larger deficit than they would otherwise. And it does contribute to that deficit. Some people need to have cardio in there to make any headway.

So you're suggesting that people lose weight faster than what is already recommended to them?

The entire point of the MFP system is that you've already developed a calorie defecit to lose the appropriate amount of weight. Any greater deficit you develop from exercise should be eaten back.

If you're using TDEE, then exercise does not create a greater deficit at all.

Exercise should be seen as a recreational activity - something you do for fun (because if it's not fun, you won't do it for long) or to develop your fitness and physical health.

However, if you wanted to make your original point that you can use it to lose weight faster, you should have said that in the first place, instead of bouncing around from irrelevant point to irrelevant point.

Cardio is a great thing and everyone should do it regardless of age, gender, physical capacity, or whatever. However, you should already be eating the appropriate amount to lose weight at a healthy rate and if you add in exercise, you should be fueling yourself appropriately for the exercise - not to lose weight.

Oh, and you still can't spot reduce.
  • tomatoey
    Options

So you're suggesting that people lose weight faster than what is already recommended to them?

The entire point of the MFP system is that you've already developed a calorie defecit to lose the appropriate amount of weight. Any greater deficit you develop from exercise should be eaten back.

Exercise should be seen as a recreational activity - something you do for fun (because if it's not fun, you won't do it for long) or to develop your fitness and physical health.

However, if you wanted to make your original point that you can use it to lose weight faster, you should have said that in the first place, instead of bouncing around from irrelevant point to irrelevant point.

Cardio is a great thing and everyone should do it regardless of age, gender, physical capacity, or whatever. However, you should already be eating the appropriate amount to lose weight at a healthy rate and if you add in exercise, you should be fueling yourself appropriately for the exercise - not to lose weight.

What? I didn't encourage the OP, specifically, to lose faster.

If you can't see the relevance of the points I made, well I'm sorry (for you) but that's not my problem.

What does spot reduction have to do with anything?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    999tigger wrote: »

And that was simpler?

Stating the same thing we said but in a longer paragraph is much simpler. Duh.

Not quite the same - that poster is also talking about spot-reduction.

So, just a big fat "NO" on that one. Big fat "YES" to the previous others.

Doh! Should have actually read the reply all the way through.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I have just started going to the gym (for the first time ever) and I have no idea what machines I should be using to lose my unwanted love handles.

I have been starting with a 20min run, then a 20min row and then a 20min cycle.

Is it good to mix them up, or stay on one for longer periods?

Any help for a gym newbie would be great!

It's pretty good to mix them up, but an hour of cardio can be too much for a newbie. Just make sure you are consuming enough calories to refuel your body AND do some strength training to maintain muscle mass.
  • chivalryder
    edited June 2015
    Options

If you can't see the relevance of the points I made, well I'm sorry (for you) but that's not my problem.

Relevance:

She said: "You will loose weight much faster by the longer and harder your cardio workouts are!"

I said: "Exercise doesn't make you lose weight." (as in, eating properly does and exercise will not fix a bad diet).

You said: "It isn't wrong for some people. Cardio can help regulate appetite in some people and it does give a margin of error for food. And increasing resistance does call on muscle work."

So, where's the relevance?

Let me break it down to simple terms:

She said: "Exercise makes you lose weight."

I said: "Exercise doesn't make you lose weight."

You said: "Exercise helps you with eating food."

So yeah, obviously eating food has something to do with how much weight you can lose, but if you focus on exercise alone, it will not make you lose weight.

On the other half:

She said: "weight training, while you don't burn as many calories, you can do some more work on focused areas like your love handles, toning those areas and making them look good!"

I said: "You cannot spot tone and lose fat in specific locations."

You said: "increasing resistance does call on muscle work."

I think that one is fairly self-explanatory.

Besides, I thought you were done being butthurt?

ETA: I didn't say you did suggest the OP should lose weight faster.
  • tomatoey
    edited June 2015
    Options

Relevance:

She said: "You will loose weight much faster by the longer and harder your cardio workouts are!"

I said: "Exercise doesn't make you lose weight." (as in, eating properly does and exercise will not fix a bad diet).

You said: "It isn't wrong for some people. Cardio can help regulate appetite in some people and it does give a margin of error for food. And increasing resistance does call on muscle work."

So yeah, obviously eating food has something to do with how much weight you can lose, but if you focus on exercise alone, it will not make you lose weight.

On the other half:

She said: "weight training, while you don't burn as many calories, you can do some more work on focused areas like your love handles, toning those areas and making them look good!"

Dude. Stop putting words in my mouth and please read the things I actually wrote. "but if you focus on exercise alone, it will not make you lose weight." I said nothing like this, I have no idea where you're getting this from.

Resistance does call on muscle work. I said nothing about "spot reduction".

I suggest you drop your condescending tone. You're not able to back it up with reading comp skillz
  • chivalryder
    Options

Relevance:

On the other half:

Dude. Stop putting words in my mouth and please read the things I actually wrote. "but if you focus on exercise alone, it will not make you lose weight." I said nothing like this, I have no idea where you're getting this from.

Resistance does call on muscle work. I said nothing about "spot reduction".

I suggest you drop your condescending tone. You're not able to back it up with reading comp skillz

Those weren't your words, they were mine. See the quotes around what you said, that's what you said. I was summarizing what I just said.

No one said it didn't. However, she insinuated that it can spot reduce. I said it could. Then you jumped in in what appeared to be a defense of the OP, so it is easy to put two and two together.

It's funny you say such things, because if you had the "skillz" you speak of, you would be doing more than just bitching about what I'm writing and actually come up with something solid to back your defense, instead of just jumping around from point to point and accusing me of things I clearly haven't done.

Besides, I thought you were done being butthurt and you were leaving this conversation?
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I have just started going to the gym (for the first time ever) and I have no idea what machines I should be using to lose my unwanted love handles.

I have been starting with a 20min run, then a 20min row and then a 20min cycle.

Is it good to mix them up, or stay on one for longer periods?

Any help for a gym newbie would be great!

Fat comes off when you burn off those calories you didn't eat!!

I love the old chain drive stair master on intervals. I do the 20 minute interval twice if I'm feeling froggy!

My encouragement would be to log your food very accurately and then work it hard

The MFP App is very helpful. Love the food log. I lost 75 before finding the App. It would have been easier if I had it all along.

Best wishes
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Those are all good cardio workouts, I would recommend doing an hour per day on one of them vice rotating every 20 minutes. An hour of rowing is pretty brutal, probably keep that one to 30 minutes. I'd also suggest adding some strength training.