Difference between c-section stomach and any other stomach?

Options

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    North44 wrote: »
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    Kind of threadjack, but related...

I'm childless, but I have C-section hips. Meaning that if hubs and I do ever have a sprog, that's going to be its only option for egress.

Based on what @jvs125 said, am I correct in understanding that having strong abdominal muscles in advance of the pregnancy is advantageous for recovery post-surgery? Like, I might want to do some extra core work with that in mind?

How do you know you have csection hips? It's what's on the inside that counts. I have very narrow hips and had 4 children one of whom weighed 9lbs 11 oz naturally.

I guess I don't know that for sure, that's just what three different doctors have told me will likely be necessary. In the absence of evidence to the contrary, I figure it's wise to adjust my expectations accordingly.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    jaga13 wrote: »
    This is something I see posted fairly frequently--Do any other moms have a c-section belly? How do I get rid of it? Every time I see those posts, I wonder what is the significance of having had a c-section as far as losing weight and shrinking it goes? By that I mean, how is a c-section stomach any different than any other fat (or formerly fat) stomach? I've tried looking at pictures online and the only difference I see is when there was a vertical cut rather than a horizontal cut. Is that it?

I'm really confused by your vertical cut vs horizontal cut comment. The only mothers who have a cut at all are those who had a c-section. If you didn't have a c-section, there isn't any cut at all....did you mean something else?

I was looking at pictures of women who had c-sections and the only time I saw differences was when the women had vertical incisions as opposed to horizontal incisions. In other words, the stomachs of women who had horizontal incisions looked the same to me as the stomachs of women who had vaginal births (and some who have never had a child) while the stomach of those who had vertical incisions looked different from the stomachs of those who had vaginal births (and some who have never had a child.)

I don't know anyone with a horizontal cut from a c-section. Most are vertical (including mine). So it makes sense that you're seeing that the vertical incision stomachs look different than all other stomachs as this is much more representative of a c-section.
  • jaga13
    Options
    This is something I see posted fairly frequently--Do any other moms have a c-section belly? How do I get rid of it? Every time I see those posts, I wonder what is the significance of having had a c-section as far as losing weight and shrinking it goes? By that I mean, how is a c-section stomach any different than any other fat (or formerly fat) stomach? I've tried looking at pictures online and the only difference I see is when there was a vertical cut rather than a horizontal cut. Is that it?

I'm really confused by your vertical cut vs horizontal cut comment. The only mothers who have a cut at all are those who had a c-section. If you didn't have a c-section, there isn't any cut at all....did you mean something else?

I was looking at pictures of women who had c-sections and the only time I saw differences was when the women had vertical incisions as opposed to horizontal incisions. In other words, the stomachs of women who had horizontal incisions looked the same to me as the stomachs of women who had vaginal births (and some who have never had a child) while the stomach of those who had vertical incisions looked different from the stomachs of those who had vaginal births (and some who have never had a child.)

I don't know anyone with a horizontal cut from a c-section. Most are vertical (including mine). So it makes sense that you're seeing that the vertical incision stomachs look different than all other stomachs as this is much more representative of a c-section.

Oh wait, wrong way. Most are HORIZONTAL (including mine). I have no idea what's the deal with a vertical incision--sounds horrible).
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    They don't cut the muscles during a cs. Bogey cut the fascia between the two halves of the rectus abdominus and retract them. They sew that back together. They do not cut any muscle fibres or into the muscle belly. Any pregnancy regardless of delivery method does a number on your core and requires a lot of rehab. The tethering due to scar tissue causes the shelf but the muscles are not cut.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Bogey should be "the OB" darn autocorrect
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I think a long time ago they used to do vertical c-sections. The majority of c-sections now are horizontal.
  • jaga13
    Options
    I didn't know the muscles weren't cut. Regardless, the pain of just sitting up, or even LAUGHING tells me something. Certainly by now (my youngest is 3), this shouldn't be a factor anymore. But I can see how a new mom would struggle with her stomach. Or maybe it's different for everyone.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options

Oh wait, wrong way. Most are HORIZONTAL (including mine). I have no idea what's the deal with a vertical incision--sounds horrible).

They are used (or at least were used) in emergencies. My mother had one (she nicknamed it her zipper) because she had undiagnosed pre-e and started hemmoraging. I needed to come out immediately.

My section was horizontal. Kid needed to get out, but we had a few hours (properly diagnosed pre-e!)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Vertical incisions are far more likely in the case of emergency sections ...quickest entry and egress
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You have up to an hour to edit - there's a gear icon on the far right of your post :)
  • jaga13
    Options
    If you want to laugh about all this: after my 2nd c-section, my OB kindly informed me he used dermabond to glue me back together. GLUE. He said I would have to gently roll away the excess glue myself. I decided I would go to the grave with that glue - I am way too squeamish for any of that - he wanted me to like, TOUCH the incision area?? Somehow it is all gone years later :)
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    My mum had two vertical incision sections. She hates her stomach bless her. I was so worth it though ;)
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    North44 wrote: »
    Kind of threadjack, but related...

I'm childless, but I have C-section hips. Meaning that if hubs and I do ever have a sprog, that's going to be its only option for egress.

Based on what @jvs125 said, am I correct in understanding that having strong abdominal muscles in advance of the pregnancy is advantageous for recovery post-surgery? Like, I might want to do some extra core work with that in mind?

How do you know you have csection hips? It's what's on the inside that counts. I have very narrow hips and had 4 children one of whom weighed 9lbs 11 oz naturally.

I guess I don't know that for sure, that's just what three different doctors have told me will likely be necessary. In the absence of evidence to the contrary, I figure it's wise to adjust my expectations accordingly.

I agree with those who say you really can't tell until you're at that point so if you want a vaginal birth you don't need to rule it out. That said I did end up having 2 planned sections, for a different issue during pregnancy, and have to say they are totally fine...on your feet in 24 hours, on just standard painkillers within 48 hours ..so it is nothing to fear

And either way you're so overwhelmed with suddenly being someone's mother it really doesn't matter
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I had a vaginal birth and had a few (not too many) stitches afterward. As the doctor was stitching me up I asked him if I'd have to have them removed later. I can remember him saying "Oh god, no. That would be a terrible thing to do to a new mom!"
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    If you want to laugh about all this: after my 2nd c-section, my OB kindly informed me he used dermabond to glue me back together. GLUE. He said I would have to gently roll away the excess glue myself. I decided I would go to the grave with that glue - I am way too squeamish for any of that - he wanted me to like, TOUCH the incision area?? Somehow it is all gone years later :)

*hork*

I take it all back. If I'm having a kid, I'm doing it the right way - by stealing one out of a jogging stroller at Williams-Sonoma.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I read the best internet story of childbirth ever that involved a rolling gurney and an obstetrician being stuck between the wall and a birthing foof

Made me pee my pants when I read it

I'm going out now...will see if I can find it later

• Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Maybe the vertical/horizontal is simply down to the surgeons preference like a lot of surgeries? My emergency c section was horizontal (UK).
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options

Ah yes, the glue. It's not so strong as they made it out to be. I had been on bed rest for a month so when the spinal wore off I was like "*kitten* yeah, WALKING!" So I walked the hospital for HOURS hipped up on pain medication.

I popped the glue. Just in one corner but I was freaking the *kitten* out. The doctors just rolled their eyes at me though.
  • jaga13
    Options
    I had a vaginal birth and had a few (not too many) stitches afterward. As the doctor was stitching me up I asked him if I'd have to have them removed later. I can remember him saying "Oh god, no. That would be a terrible thing to do to a new mom!"

Can you imagine??
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

Actually, there's a lot of doctors doing that when they can now. I think it's supposed to heal better than actual stitches, but don't quote me on that.

And I had a friend that didn't have a C-section, but had muscle taken from that area for reconstructive surgery, and it's taken her a long time to start getting the strength back. So I can see where a C-section might have the same issue.