Difference between c-section stomach and any other stomach?

Options

Replies

• jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    If you want to laugh about all this: after my 2nd c-section, my OB kindly informed me he used dermabond to glue me back together. GLUE. He said I would have to gently roll away the excess glue myself. I decided I would go to the grave with that glue - I am way too squeamish for any of that - he wanted me to like, TOUCH the incision area?? Somehow it is all gone years later :)

Ah yes, the glue. It's not so strong as they made it out to be. I had been on bed rest for a month so when the spinal wore off I was like "*kitten* yeah, WALKING!" So I walked the hospital for HOURS hipped up on pain medication.

I popped the glue. Just in one corner but I was freaking the *kitten* out. The doctors just rolled their eyes at me though.

If I wasn't already done with having children, I WOULD BE NOW.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    If you want to laugh about all this: after my 2nd c-section, my OB kindly informed me he used dermabond to glue me back together. GLUE. He said I would have to gently roll away the excess glue myself. I decided I would go to the grave with that glue - I am way too squeamish for any of that - he wanted me to like, TOUCH the incision area?? Somehow it is all gone years later :)

Ah yes, the glue. It's not so strong as they made it out to be. I had been on bed rest for a month so when the spinal wore off I was like "*kitten* yeah, WALKING!" So I walked the hospital for HOURS hipped up on pain medication.

I popped the glue. Just in one corner but I was freaking the *kitten* out. The doctors just rolled their eyes at me though.

I'm going to go get my tubes tied, right meow.

They won't glue me closed after that, will they?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Clarewho wrote: »
    Maybe the vertical/horizontal is simply down to the surgeons preference like a lot of surgeries? My emergency c section was horizontal (UK).

That's how it was with my C section: doctor's choice. He preferred vertical cuts. As for child-bearing/C section hips, I think it comes down to how much room there is. My daughter had a big head and got stuck coming out face first, so mine was an "emergency".

What I've noticed about horizontal/bikini cuts is they get the B belly or a muffin top. I have the butt in front look. I don't have a recent picture of my stomach, but there is a couple in my profile. Not great though, I was lifting my gut up at the time.

I have no idea about getting a flat stomach after, but I'd guess if you've got strong abs to start, you'll look flatter/better after things heal up.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options

I'm actually contemplating a second. CAN YOU IMAGINE?!?

I'd probably have another section as well. I'll tell em to glue me extra good!
  • katieannebrown
    katieannebrown Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    For me the scar tissue just bunched up and caused a very painful hard mass. That certainly interfered with how the tissue/fat/skin laid. I had 2 c-sections (derma bond with one), and strangely managed somehow to have 2 kids without ever feeling a single contraction. Making up for it now, 7 years after my second one and still have pain.
  • cnebesnik
    cnebesnik Posts: 14 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm new to mfp and this caught my attention. I've had three children all by c-section. It was only after the third surgery 11 months ago that I developed a little pooch at the scar. I hate it. My goal is to lose the last 10lbs but more importantly to tone up that area. It's almost lopsided. Does anyone have any suggestions? Does it ever go away?
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    North44 wrote: »
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    Kind of threadjack, but related...

I'm childless, but I have C-section hips. Meaning that if hubs and I do ever have a sprog, that's going to be its only option for egress.

Based on what @jvs125 said, am I correct in understanding that having strong abdominal muscles in advance of the pregnancy is advantageous for recovery post-surgery? Like, I might want to do some extra core work with that in mind?

How do you know you have csection hips? It's what's on the inside that counts. I have very narrow hips and had 4 children one of whom weighed 9lbs 11 oz naturally.

I guess I don't know that for sure, that's just what three different doctors have told me will likely be necessary. In the absence of evidence to the contrary, I figure it's wise to adjust my expectations accordingly.

Another thing that you can't predict is how much your ligaments will loosen up in pregnancy. Hormones will loosen you up and ready your body for the birthing process. I increased a half shoe size after my first pregnancy!

Whatever happens it'll be totally worth it- it's the most awesome thing to become a mother. Preparing yourself physically is a wonderful idea. Keep in shape and try not to gain more weight than necessary. You will not regret it!
  • fat2fitshley
    fat2fitshley Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    This is something I see posted fairly frequently--Do any other moms have a c-section belly? How do I get rid of it? Every time I see those posts, I wonder what is the significance of having had a c-section as far as losing weight and shrinking it goes? By that I mean, how is a c-section stomach any different than any other fat (or formerly fat) stomach? I've tried looking at pictures online and the only difference I see is when there was a vertical cut rather than a horizontal cut. Is that it?

I'm really confused by your vertical cut vs horizontal cut comment. The only mothers who have a cut at all are those who had a c-section. If you didn't have a c-section, there isn't any cut at all....did you mean something else?

I was looking at pictures of women who had c-sections and the only time I saw differences was when the women had vertical incisions as opposed to horizontal incisions. In other words, the stomachs of women who had horizontal incisions looked the same to me as the stomachs of women who had vaginal births (and some who have never had a child) while the stomach of those who had vertical incisions looked different from the stomachs of those who had vaginal births (and some who have never had a child.)

I don't know anyone with a horizontal cut from a c-section. Most are vertical (including mine). So it makes sense that you're seeing that the vertical incision stomachs look different than all other stomachs as this is much more representative of a c-section.

Oh wait, wrong way. Most are HORIZONTAL (including mine). I have no idea what's the deal with a vertical incision--sounds horrible).

If the baby is breech they sometimes have to vertical, or at least used to. My H was breech and his mom has a vertical c-section scar.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm literally shaking trying not to laugh out loud here! Funny stuff.

My c-section was also last minute after a fairly long labor with little progress. The little bugger - I mean darling - was already 10 days overdue and my water had broken hours earlier. My scar is really low. One particularly memorable bit is that I have a tattoo of a penguin on the inside of my right hip and my OB was very worried he was going to "decapitate" it during the surgery. I remember mumbling something like "I don't care, just get on with it." Of course, he didn't even come close. I had staples afterward that they took out a couple of days later. The area around the scar was numb for years and I still don't have feeling directly over it but I stopped noticing a very long time ago. I actually had to check just now.
  • jaga13
    Options

Can I have some extra glue in a to-go container? Thanks!
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I'd rather eat horse poo than have another child. Seriously.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Glue? Wow, now that's progress! B)
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

This made me choke on my water! Too funny!
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I definitely have that pooch, but I also still have extra weight and saggy skin from losing nearly 70lbs so I don't give it that much attention as the problem area.

As for glue and stitches, interesting. I had staples with both, one emergency and one scheduled. I will never forget my horror when the little pimple-faced, 12 year old med student came by about 24 hours after surgery with his staple remover (seriously, its a thing) and said he was going to remove them for me. I asked if he'd done it before and he answered that he hadn't. My simple "get out" frightened him enough to run and not return :)

I never regained feeling in the area, and anything that involves pulling while twisting- especially raking- still hurts.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Some women heal and the scar creates a "shelf". Google "c-section shelf" and there will be a lot of examples. I feel like it's more likely when the incision is higher up. Mine is super low and I was glued back together and it's practically invisible.
  • mlavalley73
    mlavalley73 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had three high risk back to back c-sections in 2005, 2006 and 2007. For me, I lost a lot of my core strength and have absolutely zero nerve sensation along the scar and surrounding area. Other than that....just abdominal fat that overhangs and I need to work it off. Eating a good diet for the past seven years alone has done nothing and I finally realize that I need to get back to pre-pregnancy pilates, yoga, weight training and cardio.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    For me the scar tissue just bunched up and caused a very painful hard mass. That certainly interfered with how the tissue/fat/skin laid. I had 2 c-sections (derma bond with one), and strangely managed somehow to have 2 kids without ever feeling a single contraction. Making up for it now, 7 years after my second one and still have pain.

That's how mine is. Mine was emergency, and my doctor was out of town. Since I lost several hundred pounds before I was pregnant, I have a lot of loose skin, and the on-call completely botched sewing me up. I ended up with what essentially acts like a second navel, with a huge lump of scar tissue inside.
  • ckeeney14101
    ckeeney14101 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sorry if my belly puts anyone off their dinner by the way. Just wanted to show you what it can look like.

My stomach is similar to this. I lost 75 pounds, and mine was still like that even at a size 8. It is true, a C-section can wreck your stomach. I wish I would have worked harder shortly after the surgery, rather that waiting. I would love to have it surgically removed.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Lol. They sent me home with so many other supplies (cold packs, mesh undies, etc.) Seems like a dab of glue could be added to the bin.
  • jaga13
    Options

Lol. They sent me home with so many other supplies (cold packs, mesh undies, etc.) Seems like a dab of glue could be added to the bin.

My first c-section was an unplanned emergency. I was a full grown adult, yet didn't realize that I would STILL need the mesh undies and pads...evidently you still bleed!