Breakfast Cereal...?

Replies

• johncrangle
    johncrangle Posts: 16 Member
    m4n1x wrote: »
    How long do you have for breakfast in the morning? Do you have time to cook eggs / protein or is it the usual mad dash to get to work?

Thank you all I never got any notifications so just seeing all these replies now wow! Spot on question as I don't have time for eggs I'm looking at 15mins max as got a 5yr old to sort too.

I've tried banana weetabix but was shocked at the extra sugar. I think I'm at about 13% body fat now and can't get the lower belly to go so really keeping an eye on my sugars.

• johncrangle
    I'd change to a higher protein and fat breakfast personally... Cereal doesn't "last" very long to me!

I have had cereal with protein shake as "milk"... Bumps up the protein and adds a different flavour

Yes I've been meaning to try that good shout thanks!

• johncrangle
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    When you say you're keeping away from sugars do you mean just refined sugars .. are you diabetic / pre-diabetic?

for porridge I'd say add berries / banana and/or honey (but you might not wish to)

I often have egg whites, mushrooms, cheddar on white toast for breakfast which is very filling .. sometimes switch the cheddar for ham .. I only have egg whites cos I have an intolerance to the yolk

bacon and egg

omelette with mixed vegetables (I have these packs of frozen meditteranean roast veg in the freezer and they are easy to add) .. sprinkle with cheese and grill to brown .. but I have ketchup with that (so again added sugar on your elimination)

but seriously - nothing wrong with sugar

Yes just refined so use sweetners in coffee. I've found avoiding high sugars in most foods have helped me strip down fat.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    How long do you have for breakfast in the morning? Do you have time to cook eggs / protein or is it the usual mad dash to get to work?

Thank you all I never got any notifications so just seeing all these replies now wow! Spot on question as I don't have time for eggs I'm looking at 15mins max as got a 5yr old to sort too.

I've tried banana weetabix but was shocked at the extra sugar. I think I'm at about 13% body fat now and can't get the lower belly to go so really keeping an eye on my sugars.

If you like boiled eggs, you can make them on one day and then eat them for several days afterward. When I am feeling very organized I'll boil several on Sunday for the week.
  • johncrangle
    I have 2 cups of Special K granola and natural yogurt, can add honey to sweeten if desired, also adding raisins and chopped banana bulks it up a bit, this keeps me from snacking till lunch time

I tried this and it tastes amazing but high in fat and noticed an increase in weight (may have been unrelated but only change I made indiet)
  • johncrangle
    jemhh wrote: »

If you like boiled eggs, you can make them on one day and then eat them for several days afterward. When I am feeling very organized I'll boil several on Sunday for the week.

I do but tend to eat eggs for dinner or tea, I'll end up like Cool Hand Luke if I do that :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member

I do but tend to eat eggs for dinner or tea, I'll end up like Cool Hand Luke if I do that :)

Lol. I eat soft boiled eggs every morning for breakfast and by Thursday or Friday I start to feel like that too.

How about cold chicken? I have that sometimes when we have leftovers. You could make that ahead of time too and portion it all out so there's no prep in the morning.
  • johncrangle

Lol. I eat soft boiled eggs every morning for breakfast and by Thursday or Friday I start to feel like that too.

How about cold chicken? I have that sometimes when we have leftovers. You could make that ahead of time too and portion it all out so there's no prep in the morning.

Yeah but again my dinners normally consist of grilled chicken and jacket potato. I have 2 protein shakes a day so thinking I may use one as milk on my brekky as someone mentioned above. Thinking banana protein shake on 3 weetabix but if that fails I will look at mixing my meals around
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    You can make ahead the breakfast sandwichs (english muffin and/or tortilla) and microwave them day of for breakfast. I've done that for years. Also, natural nut butters and apples are great in oatmeal.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Raisin bran!
    Those little powdery-sugary raisins are like breakfast candy!

Yes, but...it also has 11 grams of sugar per serving...hydrogenated oil and sugar coated raisins...

Pffffft. I'm not afraid of a lil'ol'sugar covered raisin .....
  • johncrangle
    Thanks @Steff46 I'll try and pull my finger out the night before but useless at planning. Thanks for your suggestions its really appreciated.
  • getup25
    getup25 Posts: 119 Member
    Akibo23 wrote: »
    Wild berries cooked with oats is delish! No sugar needed as the berries are sweet enough.
    Top it with a spoonful of Greek or low fat yogurt and bananas you are good to go

IF you are still hungry - snack on more fruits or add some eggs into your bfast plan!

I do this plus add a tablespoon of sliced almonds to the top of the Greek Yogurt. I add whatever fruit is in season or go to my stash of frozen blueberries. I've also made applesauce or stewed rhubarb. It's like eating a dessert for breakfast.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    There is no cereal in the world that would keep me full until lunchtime, unless I ate 800 calories worth of it (and even then...).

Ditto.

OP - have cereal at tea and eggs for breakfast?

• Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Cottage cheese and an apple is my standard breakfast.
  • ncscott11
    ncscott11 Posts: 100 Member
    Just a thought as I am not a huge breakfast person myself, who says you have to eat "breakfast" foods for breakfast. Find something fast you like. Heck eat a sandwich if need be!
  • trusty48
    trusty48 Posts: 75 Member
    Most mornings, I eat muesli with skim milk and blueberries. The muesli I get (Seitenbacher) has no added sugar and lots of nuts with the oats.

It does have raisins, so if you can't have sugar at all that might not work. Its super tasty though and I like that the grains are uncooked and minimally processed.
  • blwasson73
    blwasson73 Posts: 92 Member
    We fill muffin tins with ground turkey, veggies, and egg on Sunday's. Bake them in the oven and have these breakfast egg muffins all week. Really good with some sliced avocado on the side and really filling!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I do better when I have something like Greek yogurt for breakfast instead of cereal.
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    If you like Weetbix, why don't you just have more, aren't they like 60 calories per Weetbix? You could have like 5 or 6 and 1% milk for less than 400 calories.