branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Brace yourselves!

eix2814kyrh6.jpg
  • no_pink_skirts
    no_pink_skirts Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    @DoreenaV1975 I don't understand what you mean by this? Can you explain?
  • amg10299
    amg10299 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    As a proud owner of a selfie stick I am saddened by the arrogance, superiority, and insensitivity on this post. (Wishing someone would get hit with lightning because they want to take a picture of themselves is truly shameful.) They're convenient. You can fit more people in your picture without having to either trust a stranger with a very expensive piece of technology or exclude one of your party. What is the problem with that? If people are willing to use one in public I applaud them for not caring about how people like the ones on the post will think they look. A selfie stick is essentially a handheld tripod and can be used for either direction- I personally find mind quite handy for over the crowd shots. And so what if I am in the picture? I was there wasn't I? I cannot fathom how capturing the true situation is shallow or selfish. You'll excuse me if I continue to do so.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    How else do you get a group picture without handing your $400 phone off to some stranger that may or may not run off with it, never to be seen again?
  • no_pink_skirts
    Options
    @hollydubs85 Do you honestly think that many people are out to get you? That is sad.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    It's a practical solution. Every girl should have one. And name it.

Eduardo.

• Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Thor

vvx6lq4u4drm.jpg

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    @hollydubs85 Do you honestly think that many people are out to get you? That is sad.

Out to get me? Well, that's not what I said at all. I also don't leave my keys in the car with the a/c running. Why risk it?
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    @DoreenaV1975 I don't understand what you mean by this? Can you explain?

I have had pictures that the person should have zoomed in or out more (depending on the situation) or they don't notice a glare from the sun (or they do but don't care) or they don't know the "rule of thirds" (photography term) or they take a blurry photo... etc... etc...

My husband is a great photographer, he just has the eye.
    When we get asked by a stranger to take a photo, I always allow him to do it because even though I am good, he is better.
    Someone will come up to us and ask him to take a photo.
    He takes the time to look at the background and figure out what would look best. For example, lets say, your taking a photo in front of the Statue of Liberty... most people would just take the photo not caring if you can see it in the BG or if they've cut "her" head off, or whatever. My husband will zoom in or out as necessary, maybe even adjust where he is standing to the right or left, again just examples, to make sure that everything is in the shot.
    When he is done the photo always looks really nice and definitely frame or album worthy!

On the flipside we get shots that show way more background then is necessary (we look like ants compared to the scenery)... and if I would have been able to see what the photographer was seeing I would have told them to zoom in. This happens even when we give instructions as to what we want in the photo... some people don't listen, don't understand, or don't care.

I don't really know how to explain it much further but there are people that just don't know how to take a good photo!

And yes I know I sound picky but obviously if I want a photo of the occasion, regardless of what it is, I want a good one!
  • MaxPower0102
    MaxPower0102 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Options
    (Wishing someone would get hit with lightning because they want to take a picture of themselves is truly shameful.)

I wish bad things to happen to people all the time! Why do think some of the most popular videos on YouTube include the word "FAIL" in the title? Schadenfreude!!!!

• no_pink_skirts
    Options
    Except you think most people are out to steal something from you if you ask them to take a pic for you...I have had tons of strangers take pics with my phone and I have never had anyone even attempt to walk away with it. Like where are you people living that you think everyone wants your stuff?!?
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    Except you think most people are out to steal something from you if you ask them to take a pic for you...I have had tons of strangers take pics with my phone and I have never had anyone even attempt to walk away with it. Like where are you people living that you think everyone wants your stuff?!?

Maybe not EVERYBODY but why take the chance that out of the 10 people you ask, the 10th one steals your camera/phone... Just saying it's better to be cautious.
  • no_pink_skirts
    Options
    @DoreenaV1975 The bad pics make sense now...I was just thinking you were like complaining that they only take 1 pic and someone in the group is always blinking lol :D
  • no_pink_skirts
    Options
    I don't live OR vacation in Smallville. Just pick someone who doesn't look like a shady mofo. Not that hard.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    @DoreenaV1975 The bad pics make sense now...I was just thinking you were like complaining that they only take 1 pic and someone in the group is always blinking lol :D

Ohhh hahahahahaah! No, not that... but yeah that happens too!
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    I don't live OR vacation in Smallville. Just pick someone who doesn't look like a shady mofo. Not that hard.

What does a non-shady MoFo look like? I only ask because I don't think I look shady, but I aint gonna lie, I've done shady stuff in my life! LOL!