Is it possible to 'become' a runner?

Options
Sorry if this is yet another redundant post, I know how prevalent those are here, however...

Obviously I still have some work to do, but I consider myself to be in decent shape. I can handle a good solid hour to an hour and a half of cardio without being terribly winded. (I'm not sure if that's an appropriate measuring stick or not but hey its what I have to work with so bear with me here.)

I would love to be able to run. I AM NO RUNNER.

Last October my 10 year old daughter and I ran in a 5k Color Run. For those unfamiliar, a color run is more about the fun than the run. Proceeds from entry fees generally go to a charity. This one went to lymphoma. The idea is to dress up in white (my kid sported a white tutu) and run 5k while people dump color on you. At the end you look like a tie dyed sweaty mess.

My daughter absolutely loved it. She wants to run track some day. While I had a blast, this little event did a number on me. I felt like I had been through minor surgery for several days after. My entire body ached, and all I wanted to do was sleep. See ... I told you ... I am no runner!

So back to my point, is it possible to train yourself to run??? She wants to do another one and now her sister wants to as well. Advice much appreciated!

Replies

• jaxass
    jaxass Posts: 2,128 Member
    Options
    I think so.

Have you tried the couch-to-5K app? It'll slowly train you. Then you can get the couch-to-10k app and so on and so forth.

Gluck!
  • sarahharas5
    sarahharas5 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k for sure! I used that and could hardly do the 1 minute of running at a time. I'm not sure I would really classify myself as a runner but I really enjoy it now and my latest long run I was able to go over 5 miles.

I did cardio before I started running too which I'm sure helps but running seems like a different beast! Just take your time. I think if you rush it you'll end up dreading running instead of loving it.

Good luck!!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course. My daughter did just that a few years ago. She decided she wanted to be a runner and started working toward that goal. Like the post above suggests, she started with C25k. She ran her first 1/2 marathon early this year.
  • MeganKyGirl82
    MeganKyGirl82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies! I very much want to encourage her with her running. If it's important to my kids it's important to me. I am going to look into the suggested app!
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    So I consider myself a runner, I run with a group 3 days a week and have a few races under my belt. I HATED and refuse to ever participate in the Color Run ever again. Going into it I figured it would be a fun little run but the color, which was just ground up chalk, made it so I couldn't breath, and for the most part it was a miserable experience and I was still sneezing chalk for the next day or so. IMO that's part of the problem with why your body hurt afterwards.

Outside of that, I've heard great things about the Couch 2 5K program. People who never saw themselves as runners have completed that program and raced 5Ks and moved onto 10ks etc... If you haven't checked it out yet it is certainly worth looking into.

Additionally, if there are running groups in your area it may be worth contacting them. Sometimes having people to run with can make all the difference.

If you want to be a runner, you can become one, its just about finding the right way that works for you.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Running is simply propelling yourself forward while putting one foot in front of the other with a brief period of time in between when both feet are off the ground. Walking is putting one foot in front of the other but one foot is always on the ground.

Like all exercise you are working your muscles. You need to partake in any physical activity a little at a time. If you do too much without build up and conditioning you will experience extreme muscle damage and soreness.

You just simply did too much all at once.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    kygirl8282 wrote: »
    While I had a blast, this little event did a number on me. I felt like I had been through minor surgery for several days after. My entire body ached, and all I wanted to do was sleep. See ... I told you ... I am no runner!

Eh? It sound exactly the opposite. You like running. You ran. You want to do so more. You want to train. You are a runner.

C25K is good or something like this:

halhigdon.com/training/50933/5K-Novice-Training-Program
  • MeganKyGirl82
    Options
    Going into it I figured it would be a fun little run but the color, which was just ground up chalk, made it so I couldn't breath, and for the most part it was a miserable experience and I was still sneezing chalk for the next day or so. IMO that's part of the problem with why your body hurt afterwards.

You may have something there. We had it in places I didn't even know would be possible, and even following the recommended guide to cleaning it off afterwards, the purple pigment still left a stubborn stain on our skin. Thanks for the advice!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    yes you can become a runner. work your way up to your next 5k.

I'm becoming a runner. I used to be a "if you see me running, something very bad is coming after me" and now I feel strange not running in the mornings. and I'm still working on my first mile
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    If you are human and have no physical disability that would prevent it, then yes you can be a runner. It is what our species evolved to do and we are among the top 5 fastest animals on the planet for long distance running (cheetahs can only go a short distance).

You seem to have cardio capacity already. What you need to work on is strength in the joints and muscles for running. Start by running slow. Think casual jogging more than running. Do the couch to 5 k program as it builds at a good rate to reliably get people to a 5k distance.

I too never thought I would be a runner. Even just one year ago today. Turns out I just had to try, and do so in an informed way.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Definitely can , there are loads of stories of people who did the couch 2 5k (c25k) and have moved on to half and full marathons

Also, if you were being chased by zombies, you would kinda have to be a runner :P

go for it
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Human beings are born as endurance runners. The state of not being able to run (barring some abnormality) is simply being out of shape.
  • MeganKyGirl82
    Options
    Thanks all! I'm going to check this out and go about it the correct way this time.
  • JustMe2691
    JustMe2691 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yup, I was required to run when in the Marine Corps and hated every step of it. Only ran for the fitness tests twice a year. But about a year ago, I started jogging slowly and finally got to the speed where I considered it running. I actually enjoy it a lot more than I expected I would. I modified the C25k for what I felt I could do, but used the basic program.

I ran a 5k Fun Run with my adult daughter last year and loved it.
  • AndyCool22
    AndyCool22 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    absolutely! my friend quit smoking and started running. he did a half marathon a few weeks ago, after starting running less than a year ago.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Raises hand! I didn't start running until a lousy 5k performance motivated me to start. I was rolling up on FORTY years old!! Like you, I was good at cardio...I had been working out/losing weight for 3 months and thought I could handle a 5k. Wrong! It made me mad. So, I trained for a 5k. I ran the 5k and trimmed like 10 min off my time. Placed 2nd in my age group. Won a beer glass that I can't even tell you where it is now. And I was hooked. July 1 will be my 4th anniversary if you will of the day I started *training* for a 5k. I've run like a dozen half marathons, 1 full marathon, countless 5 & 10ks. I usually am in the top 10-15% of women if not all participants. I even won my age group in one of those half marathons! Yeah....you can "become" a runner. For sure!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I did.

I was on track in high school, but didn't run even then (I did field events). I hated running. I hated sweating. I felt like my heart was going to explode anytime I ran for more than a minute.

About 2 years ago, I decided to try the couch to 5k app (the zen labs version). I gave up the first two times I started it. But the third time I made a commitment to myself to finish the program. By week 8, I was hooked. I still run at least 3x a week and feel off if I miss a run.
  • FRJM
    FRJM Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I started running when my dad was terminally ill. When I first started I couldn't even run 1 minute continuously. I followed a programme similar to c25k and since then have taken part in 5 half marathons, loads of 10k's and 5k's. So yes, you can train yourself to run :smiley:
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    O course its possible....Perhaps you felt like you got hit my a train after your first one due to lack a stretching, before and after? Not to metion you (presumably) went from zero running to over 3 miles. It's not easy on the body. Definitely check out the C25K.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    My marathon running friends all claim it's possible to become a runner..... I don't have the desire to find out though! I think if you want to, you will :)