Is it possible to 'become' a runner?

Options

Replies

• MeganKyGirl82
    MeganKyGirl82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You guys have been fantastic! Thank you for all of the advice. :)
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Yes! I was overweight my entire life, lost a little bit of weight last year (gained it back since) and slowly started running. When I first started my knees hurt, my ankles hurt, my shins hurt - rest for a week or so and repeat. You have to build it up over time to even start, may take a few months - don't give up! Don't push it or you might hurt yourself. I was also a smoker so if I can do it you can too ;) Oh, and invest in a good pair of running shoes, go somewhere and get them fitted. So worth it!
  • wnlbutterfly
    wnlbutterfly Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I did the C25K and now I can run for over an hr...so I guess that makes me a runner ;) You can do it.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Well, yeah....if you just go out and run a 5k without any training or preparation, it's going to hurt. An you're going to feel like hell after. I'm guessing that you have a pretty good cardio base to have been able to get through it. So you've got some cardio endurance, you've got the desire, now you just need to train. I think a bunch of people have already mentioned c25k - that's a good start. It's just a matter of teaching your body to do something it's not used to doing.
    Can you "become" a runner - sure. I hated it when I started. I had no desire to become a runner. I just did it because I figured it was good for weight loss. Somewhere along the way that changed. I could barely run 5 minutes straight when I started. Worked up to 5k, then 10k, then triathlon, then half marathon. I'm not fast, I'm not super serious about it, but I enjoy it. I have no naturally athletic ability whatsoever.....but I can run.
    Stick with it! Just get yourself a good, gradually building training plan so that you don't get injured. And get a good pair of running shoes.
  • MeganKyGirl82
    Options
    My love for cardio is the main reason I thought gee I can totally survive this! Clueless like Shaggy and Scooby Doo before commercial break! I remember coming home after it. My husband took one look at me and nearly died laughing. I probably looked like an abandon dog that had been spray painted or something. If I knew how to post pictures to forums I would show you guys :D I'm definitely go to look into these apps you all have recommended.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I walked a Color Run in September last year and had the coloring everywhere! In fact, I can still find it in random places in my car! I completely understand why your husband laughed at you when he first saw you after the race.
    :smiley:
  • kenneth_charles
    kenneth_charles Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think if you run with regularity you ARE a runner, we all have our own level of "expertise" , I was up to 2 miles a day 5 days a week, then I injured my ankle at home falling down some stairs. I cant wait till I get started again. I started out thinking I wasn't really a runner when I compared myself to others.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Definitely can. 100%.
  • 4rtistry
    4rtistry Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    I think this may be the running app for you: https://www.zombiesrungame.com/

Seriously, I love that app. It's just brilliant.

Seconding this. I started it about a week ago and I'm hooked. I'm too competitive to let myself lose a game, so the extra incentive of "zombies are going to get you if you don't run" really works for me. The storyline is great as well, to the point that I actually look forward to my next session (unlike my previous attitude of "avoid running whenever possible").
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I'm worried I might get hooked on the Zombie running game. I'm already hooked on running enough.
  • MeganKyGirl82
    Options
    That sounds awesome lol
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    LOL. I tried Zombies run for the first time today and it was a lot of fun.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The ONLY way to be a runner is to become one. Serious runners work hard over a period of time to train, building up speed and endurance over time. They don't just show up at the race and expect to win it off their innate genetic potential. :)

That being said, I do think there are people have physical disabilities that make walking or running impossible... and people with foot/leg/joint or heart problems that would make it painful or dangerous. But assuming you are reasonably healthy physically, your problem is just that you're out of shape and made yourself sore trying to do more than you are really trained to do right now. So start smaller and work your way up to a 5K.
  • jopapgh
    jopapgh Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    For most people, running can be learned. Six years ago, I could not run around the block. Tomorrow I start training for marathon number seven; I need to cut 6 minutes off my time to qualify for the Boston Marathon.

Few things:

* When you first start up again, slow down. Many people try to start running at too fast a pace, get discouraged easily and quit.
    * Set a goal. Nothing motivates like a race or other running event
    * Find a running group or others to run with. Group accountability will make you less likely to blow off your runs.
    * See the views. Smell the smells. Hear the sounds.
    * Above all, have fun!
  • MeganKyGirl82
    Options
    Great advice thank you! ! :)
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    abso-freaking-lutly! :wink:

I have seen this happen first hand. My husband used to be the king of lazy. After m uch encouragement he took up running/jogging as a form of exercise and he's been doing it for 3 years now. He was bad when he started, only able to run for a few seconds but with training he can EASILY do 10 miles now. I am in awe of him. Try couch to 5k on a smart phone or something. My husband did his own version where he'd just jog for as long as he felt comfortable, walk awhile, and repeat. After awhile it was all jogging.

This method seems to work a bit for me too but my back problems mean I'll never be a huge fan of jogging. At this point I'm okay with being able to do the mad dash to catch the bus :lol:
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner either. My entire family runs but it just isn't my thing. I tried the c25k app. I did it for 3 weeks, hoping that I would learn to love running. I did advance and my body adapted to the running and I loved how I felt after I ran. But I started dreading going to the gym on running days and I usually love going to the gym! I decided the dread wasn't worth it. I get my cardio in other ways and I'm much happier now.

So to answer your question, yes I think anyone (without disabilities that prevent them) can become a runner. However, I don't think everyone learns to love to run.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Of course you can become a runner! 2 years ago I had never run a day in my life and since starting in 2013 (200lbs at the time) I've finished 2 half marathons, 2 full marathons and 2 ultras (one of them was yesterday!).

The two most important things: get fitted for good shoes and take it really slow! Speed will come later.
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    et36ljhow7b0.jpg