Possible Goal... or Far Reach?

Options
Okay, so I am attempting to get down to about 165 lbs. by the end of August.

I currently weigh 187.8 lbs. (from 210 lbs. since April).

Is this goal/safe possible?

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It's possible, but unlikely.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    That's almost 2 lbs/week (if my maths aren't broken). It's possible, but it would be difficult. You'd have to do an aggressive plan, likely bottoming out at 1200 calories/day. Keep in mind too, you've lost a decent amount of weight since April. This is going to lower your TDEE and make it harder to lose.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    That's almost 2 lbs/week (if my maths aren't broken). It's possible, but it would be difficult. You'd have to do an aggressive plan, likely bottoming out at 1200 calories/day. Keep in mind too, you've lost a decent amount of weight since April. This is going to lower your TDEE and make it harder to lose.

It's possible but it will be a challenge OP. I checked your profile and it didn't state whether you're male or female, just remember that the minimum calories for a male is 1500 and 1200 for females.

In my eyes its best to have a moderate deficit relative to your TDEE.
  • Thanasi99
    Thanasi99 Posts: 40 Member
    Options

It's possible but it will be a challenge OP. I checked your profile and it didn't state whether you're male or female, just remember that the minimum calories for a male is 1500 and 1200 for females.

I am a male, so it will be a little bit tougher given the higher caloric limits. However, I plan to integrate more regular exercise, as thus far I've only been doing some exercise on and off.

Thank you for your response!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    The recommended max is about 2 lb/wk, but being so close to your target weight it is very hard to lose at that rate. 1 lb/wk is more realistic.

You may find that you lose a big chunk of water weight when you start off on a plan, however, so you may be closer than you think.

In short, it's possible, but not easy or advisable to push it that hard. Is there a reason for such a tight deadline?
  • davidmanfred
    davidmanfred Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Also consider that adding more exercise will replace fat with muscle so the trade off might be a more svelte physique that isn't recorded on the scale. When I step up exercise I tend to lose fat but less weight than when I just watch calories without the exercise.
  • Thanasi99
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    The recommended max is about 2 lb/wk, but being so close to your target weight it is very hard to lose at that rate. 1 lb/wk is more realistic.

You may find that you lose a big chunk of water weight when you start off on a plan, however, so you may be closer than you think.

In short, it's possible, but not easy or advisable to push it that hard. Is there a reason for such a tight deadline?

No reason in particular, just the goal date I had in mind. Thanks for the help!
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Also consider that adding more exercise will replace fat with muscle so the trade off might be a more svelte physique that isn't recorded on the scale. When I step up exercise I tend to lose fat but less weight than when I just watch calories without the exercise.

No... please stop giving out misinformed information.

OP doing exercise in a deficit will not replace fat with muscle.
    Thanasi99 wrote: »

I am a male, so it will be a little bit tougher given the higher caloric limits. However, I plan to integrate more regular exercise, as thus far I've only been doing some exercise on and off.

Thank you for your response!

Whats your TDEE?
  • Thanasi99
    Options

No... please stop giving out misinformed information.

OP doing exercise in a deficit will not replace fat with muscle.

Hmm... I do think there may be some validity to the statement. I don't think he intended to mean a pound for pound trade off, but rather, some muscle growth (at a much slower rate than weight loss) may be noticed, and thus slow down weight loss to a degree.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

You dont gain muscle when you eat in deficit!!!!!

for the OP
    your weight loss will slow down...a lot

But just keep going ( eat the healthy recommended calories) and you will be closer to your goal than when you started :)

• Thanasi99
    Options

for the OP

But just keep going ( eat the healthy recommended calories) and you will be closer to your goal than when you started :)

I see... I guess I was also misinformed regarding muscle gain.

Thanks for clearing that up!
  • Elle_Bronwyn15
    Elle_Bronwyn15 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Very possible as long as you stick with it!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Thanasi99 wrote: »

for the OP

I see... I guess I was also misinformed regarding muscle gain.

Thanks for clearing that up!

yvw :)