Telling people to "smile."

emdeesea
emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
I'm taking a poll and I'm genuinely curious as to what people have to say.

First a question for the guys only: Let's say you walk into a shop, and there are several other men sitting around chatting with each other. One of them is the owner of the shop and he greets you. Then he says to you, "Smile! It can't be that bad!"

What would be your thought? How would this make you feel, if anything?

Women, how does this make YOU feel, if anything?

Replies

• zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    As a gal, I'd be glad to see my guy loosen up and accept the encouragement.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    edited June 2015
    depending on my mood I would either respond with something ridiculous like "Actually my *(person of choice)* just died so yes, it can be THAT bad" wait for his reaction and then follow it up with "just kidding of course but you really should mind your own business" or I would just flash him the cheesiest creepiest smile I could muster up. But that's just me.
  • shoppingmaniac86
    shoppingmaniac86 Posts: 2,067 Member
    I always get people telling me to smile. I think because I look angry or something *kitten* rest face syndrome lmao. But I oblige and amuse them and smile. I don't have an issue with it I just forget to or just don't sometimes lol
  • s_y8s
    s_y8s Posts: 1,849 Member
    It makes me smile most of the time when someone says that to me lol
  • justinegibbons
    justinegibbons Posts: 918 Member
    I personally have serious resting b i t c h face and hear comments like this one pretty often. I get annoyed by it because.. Well, it's my face lol. I usually just smile and don't say anything.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    I'm always smiling, so on the off chance that I'm not, it probably *is* that bad. I'd probably smile back and ignore it.
  • shoppingmaniac86
    I personally have serious resting b i t c h face and hear comments like this one pretty often. I get annoyed by it because.. Well, it's my face lol. I usually just smile and don't say anything.

Me too girl me too lol
  • WebFootFreak
    WebFootFreak Posts: 119 Member
    People need to realize that there are quite a few of us (men & women), including myself, my son and my youngest daughter, who's mouth has a natural downturn. That means that our neutral expression is often seen as "angry" or "depressed"
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    I always get people telling me to smile. I think because I look angry or something *kitten* rest face syndrome lmao. But I oblige and amuse them and smile. I don't have an issue with it I just forget to or just don't sometimes lol
    LOL,I Have that resting *kitten* face thing as well, but I'm not going to counteract that by wandering around with an inane smile plastered on my face.

• shoppingmaniac86
    LOL,I Have that resting *kitten* face thing as well, but I'm not going to counteract that by wandering around with an inane smile plastered on my face.

I was in Florida when the car rental guy told me to smile he thought I was gonna kill him lmao and I was like ok so I smiled all the way until our flight departed in the airport people seemed creeped out but I was smiling right? My friends couldn't stop laughing
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    edited June 2015
    What's worse is when people tell you "please DON'T smile"

Ugly-smile.jpg
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    I take the Larry David approach.
  • shoppingmaniac86
    What's worse is when people tell you "please DON'T smile"

Lmao yeah please don't!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    I was curious because I overheard several older men (prob late 60s-70s) this morning talking amongst themselves about how women tend to really hate being told to smile and why.

I wondered to myself how they would like it if someone was constantly telling them to smile, even when they might be having a bad day.

Personally, I also have naturally RBF, or I may be preoccupied with my mind somewhere else. I'm not always thinking about smiling so yeah, it's irritating at times.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Anyway, as a rule, I don't go around telling people to smile. It's none of my business why they aren't smiling, I don't know them, and no one is obligated to look pleasant for me because I'm a grown adult person and can go on with my day without expecting everyone in a 5 mile radius of me to behave like I'm in my own episode of The Truman Show.
  • Northernlight03
    Northernlight03 Posts: 1,980 Member
    I think I would be like ' God i must look really crap today, and I thought I was having a good day' lol