Telling people to "smile."

Replies

• shoppingmaniac86
    shoppingmaniac86 Posts: 2,067 Member
    emdeesea wrote: »
    I was curious because I overheard several older men (prob late 60s-70s) this morning talking amongst themselves about how women tend to really hate being told to smile and why.

I wondered to myself how they would like it if someone was constantly telling them to smile, even when they might be having a bad day.

Personally, I also have naturally RBF, or I may be preoccupied with my mind somewhere else. I'm not always thinking about smiling so yeah, it's irritating at times.

Watch that dumb video about that chick that got "street harassed" lmao that chick was acting like the whole world was trying to rape her. People are saying hi how's your day or smile. And she's like walking down the street looking like someone is ready to attack her.

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    I hate it. My face is my own business.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    I hate it. My face is my own business.

Exactly:

dHmgSZf.png
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,733 Member
    This happens to women all the time; surprised to hear men do this to other men. It's expected- that pink poster above is pretty accurate.
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,733 Member
    And to how it feels- no one really wants someone else, especially a stranger, telling them how to run their own emotions or expressions. So ultimately irritating.
  • shrinkingletters
    And to how it feels- no one really wants someone else, especially a stranger, telling them how to run their own emotions or expressions. So ultimately irritating.

Seriously. Some guy at my last gym went bananas after he went out of his way to get my attention (I was on the leg press, with my earbuds in listening to music, you know, BUSY), to ask me why I wasn't smiling. I was SO annoyed. Really? You stopped me in the middle of exercising to ask me to smile? Why? I told him I wasn't smiling because I was there to work, not to look pretty for anyone there. As I went to put my earbuds back in, he tried grabbing my arm to argue with me. I yanked away and went to the counter to let someone know and he followed yelling about how I was a *kitten* and he was just trying to make "conversation".

Yeah. Okay.

The problem usually with people who tell strangers to smile, is that they feel these strangers are obligated to do so. It's obnoxious entitled behavior.
  • x_blackrainbow
    x_blackrainbow Posts: 439 Member
    depending on my mood I would either respond with something ridiculous like "Actually my *(person of choice)* just died so yes, it can be THAT bad" wait for his reaction and then follow it up with "just kidding of course but you really should mind your own business" or I would just flash him the cheesiest creepiest smile I could muster up. But that's just me.

This is my preferred course of action. They don't call me Wednesday for nothing. ;)
  • shrinkingletters
    giphy.gif
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    I'm taking a poll and I'm genuinely curious as to what people have to say.

First a question for the guys only: Let's say you walk into a shop, and there are several other men sitting around chatting with each other. One of them is the owner of the shop and he greets you. Then he says to you, "Smile! It can't be that bad!"

What would be your thought? How would this make you feel, if anything?

Women, how does this make YOU feel, if anything?

tumblr_n28t957kdx1tps6uqo1_5002.jpg?w=920
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    What's worse is when people tell you "please DON'T smile"

Ugly-smile.jpg

**contains orgasm**
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    The concept always seemed backwards to me.
    The nicer interpretation is you have concern for the person, and think something might be wrong. If so, then say that instead. If you aren't interested enough to discuss it, just say nothing.
    The meaner interpretation is you're so self centered you think people that might have legitimate problems have an obligation to look happy to keep your happy world intact. So now the person not only has their problem, they also have someone bothering them and adding demands to them.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    senecarr wrote: »
    The nicer interpretation is you have concern for the person, and think something might be wrong. If so, then say that instead. If you aren't interested enough to discuss it, just say nothing.
    The meaner interpretation is you're so self centered you think people that might have legitimate problems have an obligation to look happy to keep your happy world intact. So now the person not only has their problem, they also have someone bothering them and adding demands to them.

Cosigned.

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    senecarr wrote: »

Cosigned.

• shoppingmaniac86
    shoppingmaniac86 Posts: 2,067 Member
    OdesAngel wrote: »

First a question for the guys only: Let's say you walk into a shop, and there are several other men sitting around chatting with each other. One of them is the owner of the shop and he greets you. Then he says to you, "Smile! It can't be that bad!"

Agreed lol
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    What's worse is when people tell you "please DON'T smile"

Ugly-smile.jpg

**contains orgasm**

PM me and let it loose.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    It takes more muscles to frown then to smile, so i guess you work more muscles by frowning.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member

I would hate that (I'm a woman, btw). Maybe it really IS that bad. Maybe I just thought about someone who has passed away?! And any way, wouldn't we all be considered crazy if we walked around all day with a huge, fake smile?
  • shrinkingletters
    edited June 2015
    jaga13 wrote: »

I would hate that (I'm a woman, btw). Maybe it really IS that bad. Maybe I just thought about someone who has passed away?! And any way, wouldn't we all be considered crazy if we walked around all day with a huge, fake smile?

Yeah but you're prettier when you smile, sweatheart! Where are you going, sunshine? Don't you want to look pretty? Why don't you want to look pretty? Don't you want people to tell you you look pretty? Hey where are you going? I don't understand, I just want you to look pretty DON'T YOU WANT TO LOOK PRETTY YOU LOOK SO PRETTY WHEN YOU SMILE
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member

I have this syndrome.

image.jpg