Food Shaming...............

Options
Charlie003
Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
Here at work we have a caff. On Wednesday's, it is pizza day. Free drink. I do 60 min cardio almost every morning. I am going to get my damn pizza. But, on cue, as I start to eat this pizza, people pop into my private room where I watch Netflix forcing me to pause the show, take off my earphones, just to tell me, do you know how many calories are in that. You know there are better choices.....

Do they know not to bother a hungry individual holding a knife........playing with their lives they are.

So, do any of you have to deal with morons who butt in on your food, to tell you the obvious just to make themselves feel superior?

Replies

• jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I don't have that happen to me, but I am very jealous that you have access to pizza at work AND a private room to watch Netflix. I gots none of that here :(
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Laugh at them when they say that, that usually works. Once someone starts to feel insecure about their ignorance, they'll usually stop
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Yup! When people see me get a donut from the break room on Fridays they say "B" what are you doing eating a donut or "another one?" So annoying. I tell them its my business dont worry about me...
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I've had the opposite problem. I had an enormous plate of plain salad with a good portion of grilled chicken, and someone in our cafeteria (who I don't even know WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE) chimed in "is that ALL you're going to eat?".

I responded "are you worried? do you think I should eat more? do I know you?"

Eyes on your own plates! (unless you're on my mfp friends list, lets share meal ideas).
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    It is for reasons such as this that I am grateful for my Resting *kitten* Face.
  • Charlie003
    Options
    I bet they are not ripped like you either. Its like I used to have to wear oakly gascans all day indoors too because I came down with an Arnold Chiari malformation. Everyday. Why you wearing think sunglasses inside. Or where are your sunglasses today. People, you are going to get hit.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I don't really care so much about that, as much as the one person who is killing herself with cleanse after cleanse and zero calorie days, who sighs and gets mad when she sees me eating yummy food. She believes I am lucky and privileged and naturally thin... Even though she also knows I bust my butt!
  • Charlie003
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    I don't really care so much about that, as much as the one person who is killing herself with cleanse after cleanse and zero calorie days, who sighs and gets mad when she sees me eating yummy food. She believes I am lucky and privileged and naturally thin... Even though she also knows I bust my butt!

Jealous people will always try to tear you down.

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    People like to tell me "Don't eat that or you'll get fat."

I smile and say "I sure hope so!"

They usually wander away confused.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Haven't had that happen, but the best response to the "Do you know how many calories are in that?" is "Yes, (insert number). Could you quit stalking me, now?"
  • Charlie003
    Options
    But then the follow ups....arn't you training??? Why would you eat that if you are trying to lose weight. White bread..you should eat whole grain. Unless you want to make me lunches STFU!
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I don't have this happen very often, but it's so annoying when it does. Why are you so concerned about what I'm doing?
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Charlie003 wrote: »
    MireyGal76 wrote: »

Jealous people will always try to tear you down.

I don't think she's trying to tear me down, so much as her frustration with HER struggles are causing her to be frustrated with what she perceives my lifestyle to be like. Her frustration comes out in terms of exasperation and assumptions.

The people who comment on your food choices, especially when you are fit, are usually doing so from a place of frustration at their current state. Some may be struggling with a super restrictive diet, because they think that's the only way to get to goal. Some may have food allergies or metabolic issues that cause them to have to eat a certain way. Some are hardwired to believe that you have to be miserable and on a diet to lose weight.

Those people get angry when they see you eat fun food (that they want), because it highlights the absence of such in their lives.

The only time I get frustrated is when they refuse to listen to WHY you can eat what you're eating. Don't get mad and tell me it doesn't work that way. I've SEEN it work that way - in my life and in the lives of many others!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but your first "mistake" was interrupting your movie, removing your ear phones and interacting with them. I'd have given them a brief wave or nod of acknowledgement and continued what I was doing. Ignore, ignore, ignore. Eventually they'll get tired of standing there and will move on, right? Hopefully.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Sorry, but your first "mistake" was interrupting your movie, removing your ear phones and interacting with them. I'd have given them a brief wave or nod of acknowledgement and continued what I was doing. Ignore, ignore, ignore. Eventually they'll get tired of standing there and will move on, right? Hopefully.

This^^^
    and even so... you should take a bite of your pizza like this when they do say those types of things...

giphy.gif

... cuz you don't care what they say.
  • Charlie003
    Options

People here can be persistent. They want to be sure they are acknowledged. I try, but they keep on calling. At least it is only once a week.
  • Charlie003
    Options

This^^^
    and even so... you should take a bite of your pizza like this when they do say those types of things...

giphy.gif

... cuz you don't care what they say.

I really should....note to self, next Wednesday....

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I get food shamed, in a weird way. "I could never eat like you!", "your pizza is basically a salad" ,"your sandwich is basically a salad", "your salad is basically a salad"...etc etc etc. I eat a lot of produce. I am part brontosaurus.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Charlie003 wrote: »
    Here at work we have a caff. On Wednesday's, it is pizza day. Free drink. I do 60 min cardio almost every morning. I am going to get my damn pizza. But, on cue, as I start to eat this pizza, people pop into my private room where I watch Netflix forcing me to pause the show, take off my earphones, just to tell me, do you know how many calories are in that. You know there are better choices.....

Do they know not to bother a hungry individual holding a knife........playing with their lives they are.

So, do any of you have to deal with morons who butt in on your food, to tell you the obvious just to make themselves feel superior?

My family and friends are all trained now. When the doctors first put me on keto, it was like everyone I knew suddenly became a hack nutritionist overnight. No, I don't want cereal instead of eggs, it will make me projectile vomit. And no, bacon and butter are not going to cause a heart attack, but the constant throwing up blood if I eat the way you think I'm supposed to might.

These days, aside from the internet, it doesn't happen as much, usually people I'll probably never see again, so I don't care if they think I'm going to drop dead tomorrow. I do get some funny looks while grocery shopping, especially if it's when I'm only buying meat and dairy on sale at one store, and got all the other stuff somewhere else. Those people usually don't have the nerve to speak up, though.