Food Shaming...............

Options

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I would keep eating the pizza while maintaining eye contact with them. Like don't blink and don't look away.
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I get food shamed, in a weird way. "I could never eat like you!", "your pizza is basically a salad" ,"your sandwich is basically a salad", "your salad is basically a salad"...etc etc etc. I eat a lot of produce. I am part brontosaurus.

Nothing wrong with that.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    example today's lunch= cooked pasta with raw veggies and hummus mixed in. My pasta was "basically a salad". LOL
  • codylynnclark
    codylynnclark Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm "underweight" and get it from both ends. Eating a salad? "I bet you don't eat anything at all." Eating pizza? "Oh, God... I wish I didn't have to worry about what I eat." I pay attention to what I eat. Just because I don't worry about my weight, doesn't mean I don't pay attention to my health.
  • Charlie003
    Options
    example today's lunch= cooked pasta with raw veggies and hummus mixed in. My pasta was "basically a salad". LOL

Mine too less the hummus.

• Charlie003
    Options
    Yes. Others can come and do the same.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I've had the opposite problem. I had an enormous plate of plain salad with a good portion of grilled chicken, and someone in our cafeteria (who I don't even know WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE) chimed in "is that ALL you're going to eat?".

I responded "are you worried? do you think I should eat more? do I know you?"

Eyes on your own plates! (unless you're on my mfp friends list, lets share meal ideas).

They are the same people that will give you **** for eating pizza.
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Charlie003 wrote: »
    Here at work we have a caff. On Wednesday's, it is pizza day. Free drink. I do 60 min cardio almost every morning. I am going to get my damn pizza. But, on cue, as I start to eat this pizza, people pop into my private room where I watch Netflix forcing me to pause the show, take off my earphones, just to tell me, do you know how many calories are in that. You know there are better choices.....

Do they know not to bother a hungry individual holding a knife........playing with their lives they are.

So, do any of you have to deal with morons who butt in on your food, to tell you the obvious just to make themselves feel superior?

Whenever someone has said this to me (particularly on a cheat day), I stare at them defiantly, and, without breaking eye contact, try to jam as large and disgusting a mouthful of the food in question into me as I can possibly muster.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'd say "yes, I know...and guess what? I've lost 10lbs eating it, you should try it!" Then when they go and eat pizza and get fat I secretly laugh inside! Muahahahahahahaha! :D
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    BTW - I don't have that problem... I'm seriously probably the only one in my life that actually watches what they eat. No joke!
  • cwkwkw2
    cwkwkw2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I usually look someone in the eye and say nothing. After an uncomfortable moment, most walk away. If I am in a crabby mood, I may say something but for the most part, silence is golden.
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Charlie003 wrote: »
    just to tell me, do you know how many calories are in that. You know there are better choices.....

Perhaps they could bring you a healthy bowl of lettuce and celery and you all could listen to the Modern Manners Guy podcast? Ok, or maybe they could just listen to the Modern Manners Guy podcast and leave you be :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I can't think of a circumstance where commenting on someone's food choice like that wouldn't be considered really rude around here and I haven't had it done to me or seen anyone doing it, so I guess I'm lucky.

I'd probably be too shocked to say anything other than "seriously?" and laugh, which is basically how I reacted when someone asked me how much I weighed and how much weight I'd lost. (I said "lots!")
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    "Don't you have a Whole Foods sale to get to or an online anti-GMO petition to sign? I'm eating here."

• hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I get food shamed, in a weird way. "I could never eat like you!", "your pizza is basically a salad" ,"your sandwich is basically a salad", "your salad is basically a salad"...etc etc etc. I eat a lot of produce. I am part brontosaurus.

Lol, that wouldn't work for me. It's all about meat! I must be part T-Rex!
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I was just "informed" today that protein shakes are unhealthy. This was coming from an MFP friend who eats everything "pure, pure, pure" yet has a closed diary and openly admits to taking glutamine (not sure what it is but it doesn't sound pure to me).

People can have different opinions, but food is food. It fits my macro and calorie goals and it didn't kill me. Win-win!
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I don't usually get comments when I decide to indulge, but I will often get stared down and given dirty looks.

I get much more often comments about healthy choices I'm making. The worst being when I sat down for a quick break at work on a bench in the mall and some woman came up to me and said "Honey, you need to stop dieting and learn to love yourself." I was eating a bag of mini carrots on a snack break.

But I also get "I'd rather be fat and happy than skinny and miserable.", "live a little", "that's disgusting", and "don't you ever have any fun?"
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    being vegan i get asked "are you sure thats vegan?" "thats not vegan" or "oh i could never eat that stuff"

if im eating it . its vegan. i dont know why people have to ask or comment like that