Is it possible to 'become' a runner?

Options

Replies

• MeganKyGirl82
    MeganKyGirl82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Not to metion you (presumably) went from zero running to over 3 miles. It's not easy on the body. Definitely check out the C25K.

Nailed it! Pretty foolish move. Hind sight is 20 / 20 lol :blush:
  • MeganKyGirl82
    Options
    You guys are awesome. Thanks for motivating and inspiring!
  • starryeyedsnoozer
    starryeyedsnoozer Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I started running a week ago, I couldn't even get to the end of the road without wanting to stop. I have seen a huge improvement since then and now I can run for at least 15 minutes without even thinking about stopping. That's in a week- and I'm an overweight 35 year old mum of 3, who has always said the only way you'd get me running is if I was being chased by a lion. So yeah, if I can see an improvement already then you DEFINITELY will xxx
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely become a runner. Please remember: jogging counts. You don't become a runner at any special "speed" or distance logged. You do your best, you're a runner.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    You want to be a runner? Run! Presto, you are now a runner.

C25K is lovely. I used an app called 5k runner. Keep in mind that it is time based, not mileage, and it will get you to running 30 minutes at a go. Depending on speed, you may or may not end up with a full 5k at the end.

Have fun!
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Wait, so you just got up one day and ran three miles without having to train up to that point? I am impressed! What's keeping you from calling yourself a runner? Anyone who runs is a runner.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely become a runner. Please remember: jogging counts. You don't become a runner at any special "speed" or distance logged. You do your best, you're a runner.

This right here! I always thought that I had to run a certain speed or distance in order to be considered a runner. About 3 months ago, I joined a local beginner's running group and the guy that is the head of the group runs marathons and had us run a mile our first time out with a 2 minute break at the half-way point. Once we finished he looked at us and told us that we were runners from this point forward, even though it took us 18 minutes as a group to run the mile! Hearing him say that after our run gave me the confidence to believe in my ability to run. Since then I have worked my way up to running a 5k without stopping and running a half mile or more everyday (43 day streak).

If I can become a runner at 250 pounds while being annoyed by fibromyalgia, then you most definitely can become a runner! Make sure to have good shoes, start slow (about two steps up from a walk), stay hydrated in the heat, and enjoy your progress! Worry about improving your time and speed once you have built your endurance and can run for 30 minutes or so without stopping. Also, see if a local running group or Moms Run This Town is available in your area to help you find running partners for motivation and safety if you live in a sketchy area.

Feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • MeganKyGirl82
    Options
    Thanks you guys!! The aftermath was just so ugly and vicious lol. No I had never done any actual running before - not for exercise or any reason really. I am a bit of a cardio addict. When my daughter asked if we could do it I was sort of clueless and said sure sweetie let's do this. Afterwards, though, I just assumed that I felt so terrible those following days because I'm in my 30s. I developed this notion that running is only for the athletic elite I suppose haha. All of you have definitely helped me feel more confident in the decision to try again, and hopefully make it a constant thing in my life.
  • MeganKyGirl82
    Options
    Oh and I have a tendency to do that. I can throw caution to the wind and just dive in sometimes. It can be a great thing, but more than once it has come back to bite me in the rear end lol.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    kygirl8282 wrote: »
    I would love to be able to run. I AM NO RUNNER.

So back to my point, is it possible to train yourself to run??? She wants to do another one and now her sister wants to as well. Advice much appreciated!

Adding to the chorus, of course it is possible. You've already got the #1 ingredient: D E S I R E.

And... since you dove off the deep end and just ran 3km, no matter how that felt, you've got some innate ability. Voila, you are a runner.

Now... what you want to be is a better runner and you'll get there by slowing down, and easing into longer distances gradually as you are ready.

If at 53 in September last year I could go from post-pneumonia wheezing can't even run 500 meters sack of potatoes to now being able to run half-marathon sized long runs any time I please, a younger fitter you can take on the challenge to make yourself a confident capable runner.

It's great that your kids want to do these things and even greater that you want to join them!

Heh, tomorrow I'm taking my 15 year old son on a 14km run up into the mountains as training for a 24km run much much deeper and higher into the mountains (1,500 meters of elevation gain) in a week or so. I suspect he'll be a bit surprised at how his old man moves now. Last September doing either would have killed me and I don't think I am exaggerating at all.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Some people totally can learn to run.

For some others, the reason they suck at running is that they have crappy biomechanics or slightly funny joints (e.g. a very wide Q-angle at the hips; very flat, pronating feet; loose patellas); for some of those people, injury is more likely.
  • RobertDupuy
    RobertDupuy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    That is awesome that you could jump right into a 5k. I was really suffering with the mile at first,,,, lol I can technically run a 5k today, but took me months Did about 32 minutes today. My 7 year old still beat me... Kid ran it in 29 minutes... Lol, I still tell myself I'm helping
  • caseyon2nd
    caseyon2nd Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sure you can, why not? I wasn't a runner, and just decided to start the first week of March. When I started I couldn't run more than 2 blocks without stopping and walking. I've kept at it, and last night I ran 9 miles, in the heat. You can do anything you put your mind to. I run at least a 5k every week with a club of runners and walkers. I am running my first 1/2 marathon in the fall. Go get it!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The only thing you need to do to 'become' a runner is...RUN. Doesn't matter how fast or how far, just do what you can consistently, and those things will come with time.

ETA: +1 for c25k. It's a great place to start!
  • MeganKyGirl82
    Options
    Once again, many thanks for such a supportive and informative conversation. I had my reservations about posting it. I'm so glad that I did!
    My 7 year old still beat me... Kid ran it in 29 minutes... Lol, I still tell myself I'm helping

I hear you. My daughter wasn't the least bit affected by having run that far. Hey they have less milage on their bodies than we do. When she was laughing about how tired I was I told her to take it easy. I'm an 82 model with lots of dents haha.

• Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yes! Entirely possible! I went from total couch potato, to an occassional trip to the gym, to running. I didn't use an app, did it at my own pace. Did my first 5k 4 months after deciding I wanted to give running a try. That was 3 years ago. Since then, I've done 2-3 5ks a year, One 10k, and just ran a half marathon this past fall. Now, I'm addicted to running. Run 4-5 miles 4-5 days a week, and one longer 7-8 mile run on Saturday mornings.

So, yes... I will say it's possible!
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    C25K is life-changing.

I started it in October. Since then, I've run a half-marathon, a 15K, a handful of 10Ks, 5Ks, and various other races. Be careful—it's addicting.
  • dwolfe1985
    dwolfe1985 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Mich4871 wrote: »
    Yes! Entirely possible! I went from total couch potato, to an occassional trip to the gym, to running. I didn't use an app, did it at my own pace. Did my first 5k 4 months after deciding I wanted to give running a try. That was 3 years ago. Since then, I've done 2-3 5ks a year, One 10k, and just ran a half marathon this past fall. Now, I'm addicted to running. Run 4-5 miles 4-5 days a week, and one longer 7-8 mile run on Saturday mornings.

So, yes... I will say it's possible!

Yeah it's one of those things that when your unfit isn't very fun but once you start clocking up the miles it becomes enjoyable dunno if i would run more then 10k though by choice lol.
  • crubio360
    crubio360 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I was no runner myself but started jogging slow miles then adding distance or speed slowly. Four years later I am running marathons. I'm not great but I can finally complete them. It took months for my joints to adjust and strengthen to be able to handle the distance and I stopped and took days off when I felt my body tell me to stop. Rest is just as important as training. I only run 3 days a week. 2 shorter distances and one long slow distance per week. The other days I lift weights or do something fun and rest.
  • dwolfe1985
    dwolfe1985 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    crubio360 wrote: »
    Definitely! I was no runner myself but started jogging slow miles then adding distance or speed slowly. Four years later I am running marathons. I'm not great but I can finally complete them. It took months for my joints to adjust and strengthen to be able to handle the distance and I stopped and took days off when I felt my body tell me to stop. Rest is just as important as training. I only run 3 days a week. 2 shorter distances and one long slow distance per week. The other days I lift weights or do something fun and rest.

That's great im kinda just getting back into running (used to run 5k's) been mostly lifting weights and want to improve my general fitness. I know how great it can be post run when your lungs feel clearer just got to get there again lol.