Under eating??

Options

Replies

• dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The recipe builder is great, as a previous poster stated.

What I do is weigh the empty casserole dish (or whatever your cooking in) ~ weigh and log ALL food thru the recipe builder as you are making the recipe ~ weigh the finished entree and minus off the empty container weight, this will be your number of servings (it will be high, and I use grams)

Now when you go to eat the said recipe, you weigh only what you are eating (minus the plate of course) and log it!

Kind of time consuming when building the recipe, but it works for me!! I know I was not accuratley logging before I started this method!

This way you can still enjoy what everyone else is eating, only in moderation :)

Hope I helped and explained myself correctly :)
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    No I legit weight all my food, my roommates think I've become OCD over it, lol. This is a typical day for me, and I often just eat the same thing every day for simplicity.
    l8of88e0mapu.jpg

no milk with the oatmeal? The serving you have says 'dry'
  • jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    debrag12 wrote: »
    No I legit weight all my food, my roommates think I've become OCD over it, lol. This is a typical day for me, and I often just eat the same thing every day for simplicity.
    l8of88e0mapu.jpg

no milk with the oatmeal? The serving you have says 'dry'

I have never in my life ate oatmeal made with milk. Is this a thing? I make mine with water and water had no calories. Thus the oatmeal would be the same as the "dry" version.
  • follyman
    follyman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would say give it some time. A week doesn't always show the scale moving. I just recently came off a plateau and I was really disheartened that for 3 weeks I was still the same weight. I am pretty sure I was just retaining water since the scale is saying I lost 10 lbs in the past two weeks.

If you are weight training 3x a week take pictures and tape measurements. I wish I did that because as your body builds muscle and loses fat only weighing yourself can lead to a loss of motivation. Nothing worse than working hard and eating well and having the scale move only slightly.

As mentioned above spend some calories on food you enjoy, just be sure to calculate it correctly. For a few weeks I tried veggies + lean proteins and it got to the point where I started to gorge myself. Dieting will fail. Instead make it a lifestyle change. Never say "I will never eat "x" food again." You CAN have what you want just in the right proportion.

TL;DR: Give it time. Don't rely on only a scale. Don't be so strict that you will eventually give up and binge eat calorie dense foods.
    (Of course this is only my opinion.)
  • sheltol
    sheltol Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    So why doesn't anyone see anything wrong with the fact that a 320 pound male is eating ~1500 calories and not losing weight? With exercise? So lets just say he burns 300 calories exercising leaving his body 1200 calories to function on. That's on the low range for a female. I see multiple posts that starvation mode doesn't exist. I dont care what you call it adaptive thermogensis, fat adaptation, metabolic damage but a prolonged period at this extreme of a calorie deficit is forcing muscle loss which will further the cycle of making it more difficult to lose weight. The goal should be to eat as many calories as possible and lose weight not the other way around.
  • WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    sheltol wrote: »
    So why doesn't anyone see anything wrong with the fact that a 320 pound male is eating ~1500 calories and not losing weight? With exercise? So lets just say he burns 300 calories exercising leaving his body 1200 calories to function on. That's on the low range for a female. I see multiple posts that starvation mode doesn't exist. I dont care what you call it adaptive thermogensis, fat adaptation, metabolic damage but a prolonged period at this extreme of a calorie deficit is forcing muscle loss which will further the cycle of making it more difficult to lose weight. The goal should be to eat as many calories as possible and lose weight not the other way around.

That's what I was thinking, you aren't eating nearly enough in my opinion.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Having a giggle that bread and bbq sauce is now eating "clean" :D

Just kidding OP, increase your calories to the 1700-1900 mark and you'll enjoy eating more and stick to it better long term. But please use the scale for every little thing and try to choose the items without an *
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Sooooo I've been tracking and using the app for a little over a week, eating "clean" the whole time. Now I'm 6'1, 320, and every app/website says I need to eat about 2500 calories just to maintain, before exercising. Now, eating clean and exercising, I've only been eating between 1200-1600 calories a day.
    The thing is, I'm never hungry, I eat a LOT of food I feel like. For instance a typical day will be a serving and a half of oatmeal, with some peanut butter, then i'll eat like a couple pieces of toast, each with a serving of cream cheese or peanut butter on them for lunch, and later I'll eat a big meal (like 800 calories) of chicken, veggies and potatoes.
    The bottom line is that I feel full, I'm eating healthy stuff, but I'm routinely under my caloric goal by over a thousand, every day. Am I going to go into "starvation mode", even though I never feel starving?? Should I eat even when I'm not hungry to come close to my caloric goal? Or should I just chill the hell out and keep doing what I'm doing? Thanks much, Dan.

Daniel have you ever ran your numbers in something like Scoobys to figure out what your TDEE could be?

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

You can use that if you'd like & you can enter how much percentage you want to lose weight. Anything at 25% is suggested to see a doctor. With this approach you can enter it manually through the goal tab & if you follow the TDEE approach you wouldn't have to worry about eating back your exercise calories since it's already factored in.

If you don't want to follow this approach & plan to use MFP then you should eat close to what they suggest & most of your exercise calories. Since you have a higher amount to lose you should look at the calories as a way to keep fueling your body for the days you exercise & just to keep you functioning throughout the day.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's the little things that matter. I see that you're low on protein. Try buying protein powder or protein drinks. It will up your calories and will up your protein. I find that helps significantly. Good luck! If you want motivation or anything, feel free to add me. I do motivational quotes of the day that my followers seem to enjoy AND I love to help motivate because it's what motivates me. Good Luck! Protein, Protein, Protein :) (which reminds me I need to go to the store to get more protein powder, thanks ;) )

hmmm, protein powder...seems a bit much for me, maybe I'll try it out tho :]

• AspenDan
    Options

I am losing weight guys, sorry to be unclear. I started eating more healthy about 3 weeks ago, and about 10 days ago I started tracking. In that time I've gone from 335 to 317ish.
  • AspenDan
    Options
    Having a giggle that bread and bbq sauce is now eating "clean" :D

Just kidding OP, increase your calories to the 1700-1900 mark and you'll enjoy eating more and stick to it better long term. But please use the scale for every little thing and try to choose the items without an *

Good point, but that's like..1/10th of my daily intake so thats 90% clean right? A- !

• AspenDan
    Options

That's what I was thinking, you aren't eating nearly enough in my opinion.[/quote]

I guess that's what this thread was all started for. Everything tells me to eat more calories, but frankly, if I'm eating healthy things, it's very hard for me to eat anywhere near the 2500 calories all the resources recommend. I dunno...
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Sometimes it's the little things that matter. I see that you're low on protein. Try buying protein powder or protein drinks. It will up your calories and will up your protein. I find that helps significantly.

hmmm, protein powder...seems a bit much for me, maybe I'll try it out tho :]

That's what I used to think - that people buying those 2kg tubs of protein powder were nuts. Then I tried it. Actually I tried a few before I found the ones that worked for me, in terms of price, calories, protein content etc. (Buying online is way cheaper than buying in a store btw) And then I discovered cookie dough Quest bars. Dear god.

I've aimed for 100 or more grams of protein a day since, and I'm pretty sure it's helped me keep a lot of muscle - my body is pretty damn solid where the fat is mostly gone, and I don't lift seriously. Also protein keeps you fuller for longer, plus the bars and shakes satisfies a sweet tooth without just being empty calories.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode, at least as it seems to be commonly understood, is a myth. Eating under 2500 calories won't hurt you. You are still at a point that you can create a pretty big deficit with no harm, but as you lose weight, you will need to create a smaller and smaller deficit, as the calories you need to maintain will become less.

In other words, I think you're fine where you are, for now.
  • AspenDan
    Options
    Starvation mode, at least as it seems to be commonly understood, is a myth. Eating under 2500 calories won't hurt you. You are still at a point that you can create a pretty big deficit with no harm, but as you lose weight, you will need to create a smaller and smaller deficit, as the calories you need to maintain will become less.

In other words, I think you're fine where you are, for now.

"For now" so ominous! lol :P
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    That's what I was thinking, you aren't eating nearly enough in my opinion.

I guess that's what this thread was all started for. Everything tells me to eat more calories, but frankly, if I'm eating healthy things, it's very hard for me to eat anywhere near the 2500 calories all the resources recommend. I dunno...
    [/quote]

Eat more calorically dense items! I would suggest peanut butter, but you already do that (and that is a very awesome choice IMHO). There are tons of ways to sneak in extra calories if you need them (like cooking with olive oil). You don't need to eat solely "healthy" items to lose weight. You just need to eat enough to keep yourself in a deficit. Peruse the recipe forum on here, and recipe sites to get inspiration for new ideas. Food doesn't need to be boring, and you can get creative to make food you will be jazzed to eat, and won't miss the stuff you "used to eat".

Additionally, you don't need to cut anything out. Moderation takes practice, and it can be hard to tell yourself no when you want something. If you fit in things, like the burger you mentioned earlier, or one soda while you're out with friends at a restaurant every now and then, it won't hinder your weight loss in the long run. My friends on here can attest to the fact that I am guaranteed to have a Dunks iced butter pecan coffee in my diary every day, and while I have the hoard of Klondike bars that I got on sale in my freezer, at least 1 per day. I still balance that out with enough fruits, vegetables, fat, and protein in my day. Weight loss isn't about eating only "healthy" items. It's about creating sustainable changes for yourself that you can maintain after you reach your goal. Without fitting the items in that I want into my daily goals, I probably would have fallen off the wagon a long time ago.

I've had multiple stints on this website since 2011, and I recently celebrated my 450 day streak on here. I used to go the 1,200/day route, the "clean eating" route, and overestimating my calorie burn/not weighing my food on a food scale route. None of those stuck for me. You need to figure out what works for you, and what you can do to hit your calorie goals, and reach your personal goals for weight loss.

You've got this. Stick around here on these forums, read them, ask questions, and have an open mind like you have so far in this thread. We're here to help.
  • AspenDan
    Options

Eat more calorically dense items! I would suggest peanut butter, but you already do that (and that is a very awesome choice IMHO). There are tons of ways to sneak in extra calories if you need them (like cooking with olive oil). You don't need to eat solely "healthy" items to lose weight. You just need to eat enough to keep yourself in a deficit. Peruse the recipe forum on here, and recipe sites to get inspiration for new ideas. Food doesn't need to be boring, and you can get creative to make food you will be jazzed to eat, and won't miss the stuff you "used to eat".

Additionally, you don't need to cut anything out. Moderation takes practice, and it can be hard to tell yourself no when you want something. If you fit in things, like the burger you mentioned earlier, or one soda while you're out with friends at a restaurant every now and then, it won't hinder your weight loss in the long run. My friends on here can attest to the fact that I am guaranteed to have a Dunks iced butter pecan coffee in my diary every day, and while I have the hoard of Klondike bars that I got on sale in my freezer, at least 1 per day. I still balance that out with enough fruits, vegetables, fat, and protein in my day. Weight loss isn't about eating only "healthy" items. It's about creating sustainable changes for yourself that you can maintain after you reach your goal. Without fitting the items in that I want into my daily goals, I probably would have fallen off the wagon a long time ago.

I've had multiple stints on this website since 2011, and I recently celebrated my 450 day streak on here. I used to go the 1,200/day route, the "clean eating" route, and overestimating my calorie burn/not weighing my food on a food scale route. None of those stuck for me. You need to figure out what works for you, and what you can do to hit your calorie goals, and reach your personal goals for weight loss.

You've got this. Stick around here on these forums, read them, ask questions, and have an open mind like you have so far in this thread. We're here to help. [/quote]

Hey thanks a ton, this app, and site have an amazing community, and I really appreciate all the support :]
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    So why doesn't anyone see anything wrong with the fact that a 320 pound male is eating ~1500 calories and not losing weight?

I didn't see him say that he wasn't losing weight! I assumed he's new and not weighing.
  • AspenDan
    Options
    So why doesn't anyone see anything wrong with the fact that a 320 pound male is eating ~1500 calories and not losing weight?

I didn't see him say that he wasn't losing weight! I assumed he's new and not weighing.

Yeah I've been losing wieght, about 20ish lbs in the last 3 weeks...gotta keep going tho!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

Yeah I've been losing wieght, about 20ish lbs in the last 3 weeks...gotta keep going tho!

That's great! And good to see you making use of the wonderful community here. I too find it a great help. Good luck!