Goal weight? How big of a deficit? Plateue?

Options
ANT98
ANT98 Posts: 137 Member
I'm 15lbs from my weight goal: 150lb and healthy range is 135. My maintainence calories are supposedly 2200-2300. My weight has plateaued despite being in a deficit but I don't know if it's because I was eating more at a 30% deficit and body wasn't happy. Advice?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend a moderate caloric deficit, -20% of your TDEE.

As far as plateauing, it's just a series of elimination and trial and error;
    • Are you weighing your foods accurately? i.e. using grams instead of 'cups'
    • Are you getting your calorie burns from MFP or from a HRM?
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    How long are you not losing weight

and do you weigh all your food on a food scale or also using serving sizes and cups and spoons?
  • ANT98
    Options

Been platueing for a month.
    Yes I do grams
    And I track from a heart rate monitor my calorie burn from exercise and as long as an all day thing, I sometimes use a bodymedia armband that says I burn 2400-2600 calories but I think that's an overestimation.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    and can you open your diary too.

with what do you burn 2400 calories????
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    alexxazt wrote: »

Yes I do grams
    And I track from a heart rate monitor my calorie burn from exercise and as long as an all day thing, I sometimes use a bodymedia armband that says I burn 2400-2600 calories but I think that's an overestimation.

You use it for all day? That's probably where you're going wrong OP

Go here: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ calculate your TDEE and -20% of that... did you read the stickies?
  • ANT98
    Options

The arm band says that, which I think is an overestimation.
    I ate 1600 and then someone suggested 1700-1800
  • ANT98
    Options

Yes I do grams

Go here: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ calculate your TDEE and -20% of that... did you read the stickies?

Why would it be bad all day? That's the purpose of the armband.
    I use a hrm chest monitor thing for only the workout
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    can you open your diary?
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

Yes I do grams

Why would it be bad all day? That's the purpose of the armband.
    I use a hrm chest monitor thing for only the workout

Oh, my mistake OP.
  • BWBTrish
    Options

The arm band says that, which I think is an overestimation.
    I ate 1600 and then someone suggested 1700-1800

ok lol thought exercise i had something like huh????
  • ANT98
    Options

Oh, my mistake OP.

It's fine haha
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    I think its your logging You dont weigh EVERYTHING

1 medium apple???? very generetic Can be a jazz apple of 125 calories Can be a Fuji of 110 etc
    I see some cup and spoon and serving sizes ( dont believe serving sizes Weigh!!!)

You eat more calories than you think

look at this short video about how off you can be when you use cups and spoons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You're not in a deficit. You have tablespoons and cups, where items should be weighed, so use a food scale.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Exercise more. Most people underestimates the power of exercising.
  • ANT98
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You're not in a deficit. You have tablespoons and cups, where items should be weighed, so use a food scale.

I use grams and find out how many calories are in that and then find the fruit or whatever matches. Like if 100 grams of an apple is 50 calories and my apple is 150 then I assume it's 75-85 calories.
    I guess looking up grams is better? I do weigh though. I just insert the calories that I calculated with te scale and serving size.
  • ysullivan7
    ysullivan7 Posts: 3 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm not sure how accurate it is but I read that in order to lose weight you should intake 10 times the calories of your goal weight. Example: I want to be 130 lbs I need to consume 1,300 calories (130 lbs x 10). So if you do cardio and let's say burn 200 calories you could eat 1,500 that day. I've been doing this for two weeks and lost 2 lbs.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options

I use grams and find out how many calories are in that and then find the fruit or whatever matches. Like if 100 grams of an apple is 50 calories and my apple is 150 then I assume it's 75-85 calories.
    I guess looking up grams is better? I do weigh though. I just insert the calories that I calculated with te scale and serving size.

Well, the apple isn't going to be the problem here, but there are apple entries that have grams. And for "Jeff's Egg-Fried Egg," you could be eating more depending on how many calories the egg is (weighing by grams, you will find that most large eggs are more than 70 calories each) and what fat you fried them in. Better to weigh your raw egg and log it using the correct entry.

I didn't go back any further, but it's always better to use the recipe builder than to rely on generic (if you do that). And be aware that a large banana could be 150g+.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    ysullivan7 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how accurate it is but I read that in order to lose weight you should intake the calories of your goal weight. Example: I want to be 130 lbs I need to consume 1,300 calories. So if you do cardio and let's say burn 200 calories you could eat 1,500 that day. I've been doing this for two weeks and lost 2 lbs.

Excellent! I shall commence eating 6500 calories a day and I shall magically lose weight!
  • BWBTrish
    edited June 2015
    Options
    its the logging for sure

And a 100 gram fuiji or jazz aple are different calories
    And indeed it not the apple...but all together it adds up Check your entrees ( by going to the usda site for example)
    Because you have a small deficit ( your close to goal weight) and not much to lose..you start noticing these things by stalling or even gaining.

You have no deficit!!!
  • ANT98
    Options

Well, the apple isn't going to be the problem here, but there are apple entries that have grams. And for "Jeff's Egg-Fried Egg," you could be eating more depending on how many calories the egg is (weighing by grams, you will find that most large eggs are more than 70 calories each) and what fat you fried them in. Better to weigh your raw egg and log it using the correct entry.

I didn't go back any further, but it's always better to use the recipe builder than to rely on generic (if you do that). And be aware that a large banana could be 150g+.

Ohh okay I'll try doing more of that to see if that changes stuff. Thanks!