Solo Eating Out

Options
faithyang
faithyang Posts: 297 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Okay, so I'm planning a couple of days to myself where I'm eating at places on my Noms lists.

But as with most people I'm used to eating out against a social / companion backdrop, so I get to try many different foods or at least see how they look like in real life because everyone in my group or my significant other orders different dishes. I've done solo eating before but it was always within the context of work lunch typical time constraint or some utilitarian purpose.

Now this is obviously a #firstworldproblem but how do I get over the feeling that I'm 'losing out' when just ordering more than one dish to myself (they are obviously full sized portions, not tapas sized) to try different dishes? I see at least 3-4 dishes on the menu and I'm always 2 seconds away from yelling GET IN MAH BELLEHHH.

Also, any other solo eater experiences? How do you guys decide what to order when at a cafe/restaurant that has more than one dish you think you do really like?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Go back more than once.... :D

I don't do it often, but if I'm dining alone I don't tend to go anywhere fancy with amazing food, it's normally somewhere a bit more basic. I save the exciting places so I can share the experience and food with someone
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...I've never thought about ordering more than one entree at a time. That's mostly because I hate to waste food and it's all going to come home, and they often rarely reheat well.

If there's a place that has more than a couple items I'd like to try, I'll see how I like the item I do decide on and if it's good I might make a trip back to try something else.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Yeah, just go back another time.

For deciding in the moment, I close my eyes and think about which protein flavour my gut wants and go from there. There are chicken days, pork days, beef days, mackerel days. If I have no idea (unlikely, usually if I think hard enough my gut provides an answer), I'll quickly glance at what others have ordered to see how what they got looks.

I also don't usually order a dish I can or do make for myself. Unless it's the place to go for that specific thing and all signs point to it being a mindblowing experience. (I mostly hate cooking chicken, so it gets one tick in the plus column for that.)

Re eating alone, as soon as you say "table for one", servers usually get it and take it upon themselves to offer you a comfortable seating situation if they can and it's not too busy. Like they'll offer you a table in a cozy corner. It's also slightly less weird if you sit at the bar.

This is a neat thing you're doing :)
  • spatulathumbs
    spatulathumbs Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I suppose, if you had the extra money, you could order one meal there and one to go and pretend it's for a friend. Then go home, eat it while re-watching all of Daredevil on Netflix, in your pajamas. Um, I mean... is that just me?
  • faithyang
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. Problem is that my significant other has very VERY different food preferences to me so i tend to defer to his preferences as I can eat his food (I do like his kind of food too) in addition to liking many other types of food, but he's very fussy and can only eat HIS kind of food.

So its really hard for me to find the opportunity to eat out in addition to sticking to my lifestyle 'diet' - basically this opportunity has cropped up because my significant other has gone overseas and I'm "free" to plan up my 'cheat' days to eat at the places off my very huge NOMS list.

I guess that's the reason why it has manifested itself into a I WANNA EAT 3-4 dishes at one go because I just simply get a very limited opportunity to eat what I like and want without feeling like I'm forcing someone else to sit there and stare at me eat or pick fussily at their food (which annoys the hell out of me as its such a waste of money + you're not enjoying the experience).

@livingleanlivingclean - that's so true. All my fancy places are sort of stuck in this horrible limbo. :(

@bpetrosky - Argh that's the thing, I hate wasting food too. I already tend to order too much food when I have eating companions with me. But I do doggy bag it home and 'spread it out' through a few days whenever I do have leftovers so I don't overdo my daily limits.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    What about finding out if your favourite places have tasting/degustation menus available? That way you can sample little bits of lots of things?
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Just order everything and eat it all
  • faithyang
    Options
    I suppose, if you had the extra money, you could order one meal there and one to go and pretend it's for a friend. Then go home, eat it while re-watching all of Daredevil on Netflix, in your pajamas. Um, I mean... is that just me?

Haha, now there's an idea. :smiley: But I don't have a problem eating multiple dishes solo in front of people...its just the food wastage issue and I guess dealing with the very obsessive compulsive issue I have with food. :D

I DO however, like to watch netflix, movies or play video games in pjs, freshly showered (its a thing. I don't know why), with a fine selection of chips, oreos, biscuits and occasionally, good ice cream, and a tall cold glass of milk. I just only manage 2-3 chips, an oreo or biscuit or two and a spoonful (or two) of ice cream along with a few sips before I get really stuffed and feel sad that I can't repeat that experience or eat more, but by god its so satisfying.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Not to be snarky at all, but what about inviting someone who's not your husband, in the future? Catch up with an old friend, that kind of thing.
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    faithyang wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. Problem is that my significant other has very VERY different food preferences to me so i tend to defer to his preferences as I can eat his food (I do like his kind of food too) in addition to liking many other types of food, but he's very fussy and can only eat HIS kind of food.

So its really hard for me to find the opportunity to eat out in addition to sticking to my lifestyle 'diet' - basically this opportunity has cropped up because my significant other has gone overseas and I'm "free" to plan up my 'cheat' days to eat at the places off my very huge NOMS list.

I guess that's the reason why it has manifested itself into a I WANNA EAT 3-4 dishes at one go because I just simply get a very limited opportunity to eat what I like and want without feeling like I'm forcing someone else to sit there and stare at me eat or pick fussily at their food (which annoys the hell out of me as its such a waste of money + you're not enjoying the experience).

@livingleanlivingclean - that's so true. All my fancy places are sort of stuck in this horrible limbo. :(

@bpetrosky - Argh that's the thing, I hate wasting food too. I already tend to order too much food when I have eating companions with me. But I do doggy bag it home and 'spread it out' through a few days whenever I do have leftovers so I don't overdo my daily limits.

Sounds like a good opportunity to take then. Get yer NOMS in! :) It's a shame your SO is fussy, I'm like you: I'm a universal NOMer.

I'd try it this way: Order the entree you will have for dinner, and during the meal (if it's good), ask the server to make a second dish to go. I've never known a server to say no, anything to increase the check average and get a bigger tip.
  • mwebster01
    mwebster01 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I'm planning a couple of days to myself where I'm eating at places on my Noms lists.

But as with most people I'm used to eating out against a social / companion backdrop, so I get to try many different foods or at least see how they look like in real life because everyone in my group or my significant other orders different dishes. I've done solo eating before but it was always within the context of work lunch typical time constraint or some utilitarian purpose.

Now this is obviously a #firstworldproblem but how do I get over the feeling that I'm 'losing out' when just ordering more than one dish to myself (they are obviously full sized portions, not tapas sized) to try different dishes? I see at least 3-4 dishes on the menu and I'm always 2 seconds away from yelling GET IN MAH BELLEHHH.

Also, any other solo eater experiences? How do you guys decide what to order when at a cafe/restaurant that has more than one dish you think you do really like?
    just go again,and order something else that you want to try.

• faithyang
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

For deciding in the moment, I close my eyes and think about which protein flavour my gut wants and go from there. There are chicken days, pork days, beef days, mackerel days. If I have no idea (unlikely, usually if I think hard enough my gut provides an answer), I'll quickly glance at what others have ordered to see how what they got looks.

I also don't usually order a dish I can or do make for myself. Unless it's the place to go for that specific thing and all signs point to it being a mindblowing experience. (I mostly hate cooking chicken, so it gets one tick in the plus column for that.)

Re eating alone, as soon as you say "table for one", servers usually get it and take it upon themselves to offer you a comfortable seating situation if they can and it's not too busy. Like they'll offer you a table in a cozy corner. It's also slightly less weird if you sit at the bar.

Aww, thanks. :smiley:

I'm a massive foodie and honestly there's nothing more amazing in life that revolving it around food experiences - whether travel, me-time or bonding with friends. :smiley:

I AM EXACTLY THE SAME with dishes I can make myself!! I just don't see the point lol!

I really like the suggestion of peeking at what others has ordered and going by my gut instinct of what I'm leaning towards. I've actually tossed between two or three options on a menu before and ignored my gut ("I kinda feel like eating that seafood paella over that thai stir fry...Oh what the heck I'll go with stir fry" and then feel kinda regretful once it lands on my table!)

• faithyang
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Not to be snarky at all, but what about inviting someone who's not your husband, in the future? Catch up with an old friend, that kind of thing.

:D

I actually did that a few days ago - invited friends to brunch at a place I really really wanted to try for yoinks. HAD a massive food coma and great time catching up with friends - DIDN'T FEEL GUILTY ONE BIT!!

But yes I'll def incorporate more of that in!
  • faithyang
    Options
    What about finding out if your favourite places have tasting/degustation menus available? That way you can sample little bits of lots of things?

That's a great idea! :smile:

I'll definitely ask them if they have that option!

• faithyang
    Options
    Just order everything and eat it all

SIGH. That is the stuff of dreams my friend.
  • tomatoey
    Options

:D

I actually did that a few days ago - invited friends to brunch at a place I really really wanted to try for yoinks. HAD a massive food coma and great time catching up with friends - DIDN'T FEEL GUILTY ONE BIT!!

But yes I'll def incorporate more of that in!

Haha, excellent :)

Aww, thanks. :smiley:

I'm a massive foodie and honestly there's nothing more amazing in life that revolving it around food experiences - whether travel, me-time or bonding with friends. :smiley:

I AM EXACTLY THE SAME with dishes I can make myself!! I just don't see the point lol!

I really like the suggestion of peeking at what others has ordered and going by my gut instinct of what I'm leaning towards. I've actually tossed between two or three options on a menu before and ignored my gut ("I kinda feel like eating that seafood paella over that thai stir fry...Oh what the heck I'll go with stir fry" and then feel kinda regretful once it lands on my table!)

Glad if it helps :) Haha, yeah, I've also talked myself into some dishes, and regretted it. Always trust your gut! When it comes to food and everything else :)
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    k61k5b45wjcu.jpg
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I just order something different each time I go out to eat. Except for crabby Tuesday, 1.5 lbs of crab legs. I don't even look at a menu that day, the only decision I need to make is what beer I want to try. It's a micro brewery/restaurant.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Some restaurants have sampler menu items. Or you can ask - if the chef doesn't think it's too douchy they may be able to come up with something. Like adding another protein to an item you're getting, that sort of thing

Also the post about watching someone pick and fuss at their food struck me. If they don't like dining out, it seems like you could do the dine by yourself thing more often and instead maybe spend time with them in ways that they do like
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I've had my fair share of solo meals,I generally order anything that sounds good, even if that means mult entrees and desserts. If a place had a la carte and a tasting menu, I'll generally lean towards the tasting menu

Many of the meals at the bottom were solo meals from a business trip to Denmark

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/823358/what-do-your-meals-look-like-show-me-pictures/p363