MFP was wrong about my caloric recommendation

Options
The system assigned me 1350 calories a day. I was NEVER hungry. I felt fantastic. It felt like I was eating tons of food. I cut way back on sugar, chocolate and breads. However, over +6 weeks, I didn't drop another ounce.

I got pretty sad about that permanent plateau. I figured I'd try to address the matter when I got back from vacation.

Well, I decided to do 2 things differently: NOT log my exercise, since I think it was being overly generous with how many calories it thinks I'm burning AND to voluntarily cut (for a while, probably not forever) at least 250-350 calories off their recommendation.

I know there are plenty of people out there who will say, "under 1200 calories per day is dangerous..." and I get that. But so far, I feel fine. And I'm not going to do it forever. And I AM losing weight - finally!

Just a hint for anyone else who thinks, "Plateau?!? Fahgeddaboutit!"

My 100% plan is to drop 8-10 lbs per month, whatever it takes, and then - 3 months from now when I am at my goal - to gently allow in more calories until I find my maintenance point.

(P.S. - I totally acknowledge that because I don't literally weigh everything I eat, I could have been eating more calories than I think I am all along.)

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    The system assigned me 1350 calories a day. I was NEVER hungry. I felt fantastic. It felt like I was eating tons of food. I cut way back on sugar, chocolate and breads. However, over +6 weeks, I didn't drop another ounce.

I got pretty sad about that permanent plateau. I figured I'd try to address the matter when I got back from vacation.

Well, I decided to do 2 things differently: NOT log my exercise, since I think it was being overly generous with how many calories it thinks I'm burning AND to voluntarily cut (for a while, probably not forever) at least 250-350 calories off their recommendation.

I know there are plenty of people out there who will say, "under 1200 calories per day is dangerous..." and I get that. But so far, I feel fine. And I'm not going to do it forever. And I AM losing weight - finally!

My 100% plan is to drop 8-10 lbs per month, whatever it takes, and then - 3 months from now when I am at my goal - to gently allow in more calories until I find my maintenance point.

(P.S. - I totally acknowledge that because I don't literally weigh everything I eat, I could have been eating more calories than I think I am all along.)

This.

Perhaps you should have started your thought process with this instead of blaming MFP for your lack of results.
  • mwebster01
    mwebster01 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    8 to 10 pounds is too much to lose in a month,you'll go into starvation mode and you'll gain it back.1-2 lbs is a safe way to lose weight,and you'll keep it off.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    mwebster11 wrote: »
    8 to 10 pounds is too much to lose in a month,you'll go into starvation mode and you'll gain it back.1-2 lbs is a safe way to lose weight,and you'll keep it off.

No. Starvation mode in this sense does not exist.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Sounds a whole lot like your eating more than you think. Maybe fix up this obvious potential cause of your problems.

Open your diary maybe so people can point out problem diary entries.

Maybe also get more realistic or healthy expectations. Sounds like your planning on doing what ever it takes to losing 2 pounds a week. Even when you don't have much to lose.

Doesn't sound healthy to me.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    You answered your own question in you last sentence, OP. No need for anything drastic, just tighten up your logging and give it time.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,849 Member
    Options

This ^^ the exercise bit.

MFP overestimates the amount of calories burned when you exercise AND I've seen people here record every little thing they do. They get up and spend 15 min vacuuming, and it gets recorded as exercise. That might work for some, but I find what works better for me is to record only my actual exercise, not every little thing I do in a day, and to ensure that the calorie count is low.

And also ... it is really easy to eat more calories than you might think when you don't track accurately. I was floored by things like cereal. What I consider 1 serving of cereal is more like 4 servings. Also cashews. What I consider 1 serving of cashews is about 5 servings. And with certain foods (like cashews) that's a difference between 100 cal and 500 cal.

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

The problem wasn't that MFP told you the wrong number of calories, the problem was that you were underestimating your intake by not weighing your food. I know that I personally suggested a couple of times to you, that you needed to use a food scale, and only eat back 50% of your exercise calories.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    So, you openly admit you didn't even try to do this properly, but somehow it's all MFP's fault? Riiiiiiiiiight...
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Wut?

It's not MFP's fault. Use a scale. Don't over estimate your calorie burns and stop blaming the man. :)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

So, you were eating a random number of calories and logging it as 1350, while in reality it proved to be your maintenance, whatever that is. Now, you are eating another random number of calories, lower than the first. Why are you logging at all, if you know you know it is inaccurate?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You didn't log properly

you had no idea how much you were eating

so by trimming off more "made-up calories" you managed to hit an appropriate calorie defecit

which seems a little ar$e above face to me but h'oh well .. worked for you

so actually MFP not wrong .. you were wrong
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    You didn't log properly

you had no idea how much you were eating

so by trimming off more "made-up calories" you managed to hit an appropriate calorie defecit

which seems a little ar$e above face to me but h'oh well .. worked for you

so actually MFP not wrong .. you were wrong

x2

does not exist

As far as the exercise calories go...2 years ago when I joined I ate them all...and still lost 1lb a week...so they don't over estimate for everyone...

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

So your plan is to lose an overly aggressive amount per month for the amount you have to lose overall while inaccurately logging?

Exactly where is MFP wrong in this scenario? It is obvious where you are wrong here, but, that isn't what you claimed in your thread.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    So you didn't log accurately, but it's MFP's fault? Why not purchase a food scale, weigh and log 1350 calories for a few weeks, and see what happens?
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options

Aside from the starvation mode myth, what maths are you doing that makes 2lb per week better than 8-10lb per month?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    so its MFP's fault that you choose to eat back 100% exercise calories and not use a food scale?

as an FYI the number that MFP or any calculator gives you is just an estimate, you need to figure out the true number through trial and error.

Oh, and if you keep eating under 1200 you are eventually going to run into adaptive thermogenesis and your metabolism will slow down. So you should be netting 1200 at minimum….
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    So instead of admitting it was user error that was causing your plateau, you blame MFP. Interesting.

I guess when you don't lose as fast as you plan you will blame that on MFP instead of admitting that aiming for 8-10 pounds in a month (with only 20 pounds to lose) is too aggressive.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Nonsense.

There are risks about a low cal diet, especially for the long term but 3 months is a reasonable limit. Keeping weight off has more to do with learning maintenance - not so much the loss process.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OMG there's something wrong with my hammer! I wanted this:

2kbl624mum7a.jpg

And what I got was this:
    gbhwdkwrr5gz.jpg

It has to be the tool, right? It couldn't possibly be how I was using the tool...