Burning Fat

I am 5 days into the process of changing my Life. I am 51 and I want to and need to lose weight and keep it off. For now my calorie intake is between 1400 and 1900. I am counting everything I eat, but I think I have to exercise too. I don't know what to do that I can do all the time is my challenge. Where should I start?

Replies

• jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    Resistance training and cardio combination!
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Something simple that you may enjoy, running, cycling, hiking ...
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Deficit will help you lose weight. Exercise for health/fun/fitness and to help make a bigger deficit.

Do something you enjoy! Do it because you want to, not because you think you have to or it will be a chore and not something you can maintain.
  • Pelamblue
    Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
    Deficit will help you lose weight. Exercise for health/fun/fitness and to help make a bigger deficit.

Do something you enjoy! Do it because you want to, not because you think you have to or it will be a chore and not something you can maintain.
    This.... Start small and build up. If your heart rate rises once a day due to physical activity then your onto a winner. Each week just make it harder for yourself and the rewards will speak for themselves.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    jacklfc88 wrote: »
    Resistance training and cardio combination!

Agreed, but if you have not been exercising regularly, make sure you start off slowly. Too much, too soon can lead to burn out and/or injury.

To better answer this question, it might be helpful to know what you current level of fitness is and what equipment you have access to. If the answer is none, I would start off by walking and picking up some beginner pilates and yoga videos to help strengthen your core. From there you might want to invest in some dumbells and start an at home strength training program or something like 30 Day Shred. Good luck!
  • JCrazyRunner5
    JCrazyRunner5 Posts: 144 Member
    just walk in the beginning, walks as far as you can, as long as you can while dropping lbs.
  • JCrazyRunner5
    JCrazyRunner5 Posts: 144 Member
    After walking for a while, start doing short aerobic exercises at home, 20-25 min long, its a progressive change.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    DOITDEN914 wrote: »
    I am 5 days into the process of changing my Life. I am 51 and I want to and need to lose weight and keep it off. For now my calorie intake is between 1400 and 1900. I am counting everything I eat, but I think I have to exercise too. I don't know what to do that I can do all the time is my challenge. Where should I start?

Go on a treadmill land walk for 60min.

• Suzmp88
    Suzmp88 Posts: 48 Member
    Hi DOITDEN914,

A few things you may want to try that I've enjoyed are water aerobics (classes are free at my gym); in my opinion it's milder than aerobics.

Second, get a good list of energizing music and take scenic walks. Try going at a faster pace and/or farther with each walk.

Third, I do "walking workouts" with my mom because you are still getting your heart rate up and it's really something to build on. You could probably find a DVD and "walk" in front of your TV, or if you could pull up YouTube on a laptop or tablet there are great walking or step workouts. Lisa Sansone has a ton of great Walking at Home videos.

Good luck!
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Go for a walk. Do body weight exercises, pushups, situps, planks, etc... gets you a good start if you have never exercised before. Also start finding some activity that you enjoy doing. Many hike, bike ride, tennis etc.. This will help in the future so you look forward to exercising.
    Good Luck. and be patient, weight loss takes time.