300lbs to lose, just beginning with a couple questions.

Options

Replies

• Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    In this Community section "Getting Started" you will see at the top a thread called" Helpful Posts". There is a tremendous amount of info here to help guide you. You will have to read and research to find your path and these threads are always there to refer back to when the need comes up.

It's good to ask for help because the folks here can give you suggestions for what works for them. Understand however that there are so many things that work for folks that it can be confusing.

Remember. Diet = Weight loss
    Exercise = Fitness

It is not necessary for these to take place at the same time. Work on your diet first, then add exercise to increase your caloric deficit.

Much good luck to you! This is a great site to interact with folks and find support and encouragement.

• heroldkelly
    heroldkelly Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations for joining MFP and for putting yourself out there for us to help! I know it can be a scary thought, and I only have about 100 pounds to lose to get to where you want to be. There have been a lot of great comments here, but I just want to reiterate that MFP uses very accurate calculations to determine your calorie goal for each day. I, too, have found that when I eat lots of fruits and veggies, I get full faster and don't use up my calories as easily. A great example I saw from the other day was that it takes me 2.5 cups of grapes to equal one peanut butter cookie. Think of how much more filling that is! I, too, would be concerned with your drastic drop to so few calories. Your body needs that energy to function, and it takes much more time to convert the fat stores into usable energy than it does to convert food, so that is probably why you are so tired. You can find some healthy items such as granola or energy bars that will help you out, but I also would begin looking at the nutrient intake you are getting. If you see that you are lacking in one nutrient or another, maybe you can add something in to the diet to help with that. All of this takes time, and the most important for each of us is to do our diet in a way that is safe and attainable. Feel free to ask more questions if you need, and good luck!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    preparation is the key to success. spend one day a week doing a ton of food prep. yesterday i stuck two pounds of chicken breast in the slowcooker along with spices, corn, beans, and salsa to make a bunch of shredded chicken for lunches and dinners, and it's about 335 calories for a cup and a half of it. i made a big pot of rice as well... i should've grilled up some veggies, but i prefer them fresh.
  • z_vette
    z_vette Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice and encouragement! It means a lot to me.

I guess I should give some more background info, since I'm seeing a lot of "if you have medical issues", etc.

I'm a male in my late 20's. I don't have any health issues that I'm aware of, but I haven't seen a doctor in over a decade. I don't take any medications, I don't smoke, I ocassionaly (rarely) drink. I'm a self employed programmer & website owner/admin, so I work sitting at a computer all day.

Several of you have suggested I see a doctor and/or nutritionist. While I know that's good solid advice, I am very, VERY stubborn about doctors and will not do that.

I feel like I'm off to a good start. In 2 days, I've already managed to lose a few pounds! This is very motivational for me! I know I shouldn't be weighing myself daily, but it's difficult not to! I do plan on only logging weekly weigh ins, however.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It's great that you are using a food scale, but you really aren't eating much. It would be unusual that you could go from eating 4000-5000 calories a day to under 1000 and not be hungry, and it would not be sustainable or advisable in the long term.

However, at your weight, you could probably have a larger deficit than MFP would recommend. This is where you need to work hand in hand with your doctor to set a calorie goal.

^^This. Good luck on your journey, OP!

• paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    you arent eating any meat, if you arent a vegetarian you can add that to your diet to get more calories. also peanut butter with your fruit will help too.
  • z_vette
    z_vette Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    paris458 wrote: »
    you arent eating any meat, if you arent a vegetarian you can add that to your diet to get more calories. also peanut butter with your fruit will help too.

I'm adding chicken to my diet today :). Possibly some occasional beef as well!
  • truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    My advice to you would be to start with small lifestyle changes and build from your successes. Stay away from fad diets and gimmicky supplements that promise big results in a short period of time. Think sustainability. Small changes made over time become good habits that stick with us the rest of our lives. It's taken me 4 years to lose 110 pounds, but I am quite confident I won't ever go back to where I was. The thought of eating the way I used to is now repulsive to me.

Good luck on your journey to better health. Add me as a friend if you'd like encouragement and accountability along the way.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,203 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's already been covered, but it's really important, so I'll be redundant: When you don't eat enough calories, you WILL get tired. If you continue to eat too little, you risk becoming sick. Starving yourself can cause a slew of health issues - things like your hair falling out, bones weakening, etc. Your body needs the nutrition you get from the calories you eat. If you're having trouble getting enough calories, try adding in things you enjoy (just measure your portions) or finding higher calorie snacks, like nuts/avacados/peanut butter/ice cream (yes, I really just typed ice cream). You definitely want to fuel your body with nutritious foods, but having 'treats' is important too. You're more likely to stick to your new way of eating if you allow yourself treats here and there. :) Welcome to MFP and good luck!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    The calorie level sounds reasonable given your current weight.

Eating more fruit, vegetables (particularly leafy green vegetables) and lean meat & fish (turkey, chicken, tuna, salmon etc) is always good.

However don't be afraid to fill your calories with other high density processed foods (like fast food if you like it) as long as it doesn't end up crowding out the items mentioned above. You need sufficient calories (essentially energy) to power you through the day.

I think your goal for the first 12 weeks here is to learn to eat to a specific calorie level, log accurately and see how your body responds to certain foods etc. There's no need to try and be a hero by going extreme.
  • truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    davis_em wrote: »
    It's already been covered, but it's really important, so I'll be redundant: When you don't eat enough calories, you WILL get tired. If you continue to eat too little, you risk becoming sick. Starving yourself can cause a slew of health issues - things like your hair falling out, bones weakening, etc. Your body needs the nutrition you get from the calories you eat. If you're having trouble getting enough calories, try adding in things you enjoy (just measure your portions) or finding higher calorie snacks, like nuts/avacados/peanut butter/ice cream (yes, I really just typed ice cream). You definitely want to fuel your body with nutritious foods, but having 'treats' is important too. You're more likely to stick to your new way of eating if you allow yourself treats here and there. :) Welcome to MFP and good luck!

Wholeheartedly agree with the bold part. Allow yourself a treat every now and then. Don't feel guilty about it, and move on!

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Hi - you've already received a ton of replies - most of which had very good advice. I'm just here to wish you good luck, as it will be a long journey and offer a couple tid bits.

- Yeah, it's going to be a long journey. Don't dispair; don't beat yourself up after a bad day; don't turn a bad "day" or "weekend" into a bad "week" or "month". Just get back up on that horse - log it and do better on your next meal/snack. Consistency is key.

- Whatever you choose to do diet-wise, pick something sustainable. This is a lifestyle change, so doing something extreme that promises fast results is likely going to fail you at some point (and probably very quickly). Personally, I'm an advocate for eating what you want within balance (get some protein and fats in with your carbs), and eating at a decent deficit. Whether this is for you or not, just make sure you're up to doing it for the long-haul.

- Set little goals for yourself. When I was heavier, this was the 10 lb mark. Now that I've lost, I celebrate every 5 lbs. This will help keep you focused on what progress you've made instead of what you still have ahead. Personally speaking, this has greatly helped my motivation level.
  • Zombieinkpot
    Zombieinkpot Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    OP, I started at 411lbs with 300lbs to lose. I'm 5ft and female. MFP gave me a goal of over 2000 cals. I kept to it within 100 cals for margin of error. I ate butter and cheese and all the things I liked, I just fitted them into my calorie goal. I found planning my meals in advance and logging them into mfp made everything easier. I have almost reached half way to goal. You can do this, but please eat enough and don't think any foods are forbidden. This isn't about losing weight, it is about finding a healthy sustainable way to live. Good luck!
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    See a doctor soon.

It has been over a decade unless I missed something.

Get a good blood test and physical.

Then you will know if you have any special considerations.

• Zed_cob
    Zed_cob Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm male and 38, started at 336 lbs. I lost 16 in 5 weeks eating about 2,300 calories per day. It is a good pace. I think the 3,000 calorie is a good start for your size. Please consider staying with that for a couple weeks before going lower. Eat what you like until you hit that 3,000 cal. As you progress then eat healthier, and healthier. That tiredness and weakness is your body saying too much too fast. Please consider this as a long term journey not a sprint.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    OP, I started at 411lbs with 300lbs to lose. I'm 5ft and female. MFP gave me a goal of over 2000 cals. I kept to it within 100 cals for margin of error. I ate butter and cheese and all the things I liked, I just fitted them into my calorie goal. I found planning my meals in advance and logging them into mfp made everything easier. I have almost reached half way to goal. You can do this, but please eat enough and don't think any foods are forbidden. This isn't about losing weight, it is about finding a healthy sustainable way to live. Good luck!
    Zed_cob wrote: »
    I'm male and 38, started at 336 lbs. I lost 16 in 5 weeks eating about 2,300 calories per day. It is a good pace. I think the 3,000 calorie is a good start for your size. Please consider staying with that for a couple weeks before going lower. Eat what you like until you hit that 3,000 cal. As you progress then eat healthier, and healthier. That tiredness and weakness is your body saying too much too fast. Please consider this as a long term journey not a sprint.

All of this is good advice from people who know what you are going through...

• carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Don't have a all or nothing mentality. It's a long journey so enjoy the extra calories now and do eat them. You will be lowering them as you loose weight. Do go for walks even short ones as you will build on your fitness as you go also. Do enjoy treats if your calories allow. Weigh and log everything'. I wish you much success and you should pat yourself on the back :)
  • latkeen
    latkeen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Whole grain bread is good!
  • donsbetterhlf
    donsbetterhlf Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Afternoon!! Just wanted to give you a high five for starting this journy. As you can see, we are here too help you. Don't be afraid to ask questions. As so many others have posted, I can tell you what has worked for me so far. I joined MFP many months ago, but not seriously. I told myself to many excuses, etc. But, finally was honest with myself, I needed to change. What has worked for me the best, is portion control. You know, weighing, measuring, and logging EVERYTHING I ate or drank. You will really be suprized of just how much a cup of salad is. Or 3-4 ounces of chicken breast. It's a lot! I cut out my soft drinks a little over 7 years ago. ONly because I was drinking a case, yes I said a case of Diet Coke a day. And that wan't good.
    Yes, you can have a soft drink, but remember to work it into your calories for the day. The one thing I would suggest, is finding you a doctor, and have a check up. Talk with him/her, about your life style chang (this isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle). The doctor will be able to keep a check on you, ie, blood pressure, heart, cholestral levels, blood sugars etc. I am thankful, believe it or not, that I've got a doctor that actually cares, will take the time to listen to me, as well as kickmy tail, when needed. Good luck on this journey. We are all rooting for ya!!
    P.S. Please excuse the mispelled words. Spelling is not my stong point.