Les Mills fans

Options

Replies

• sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Bodypump only for me, though I've been slacking lately. 1130AM class tomorrow to get back on the horse!
  • jsandie76
    jsandie76 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I am quite new to mfp and trying to lose weight. I am 100lbs + overweight. I just joined a gym two weeks ago and I am doing strength training 2x/week with a trainer and once a week on my own as well as 20-30 mins of cardio daily. I have been very interested in the Body Pump class my gym offers but I am wondering if it will be too much for a beginner. Any opinions or suggestions?
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    Body Combat is hands down my favourite gym class.

Body Pump on the other hand...? TOO MANY REPS. Drives me insane. Did it for a couple of months but didn't feel like I was making progress - due to fatigue I could not increase the weights quickly enough, and I always got bored about halfway through (and no one seems to be able to squat properly with that many reps).

Now doing free heavy weights in the weights room has done wonders for me psychologically and physically.

The other classes offered in my gym are Body Balance, Body Jam and CX Worx.

Balance is likee yoga/ t'ai chi and I'm not really into that (not enough sweat involved for me!).

Jam is good for people who like dancing (it's all to current music and very trendy. Not me, I'm a fighter not a dancer :laugh:). CX Worx is not bad (a short 30min abs session) but I'm dubious about its benefits.

I've tried Body Step in a previous gym and liked it well enough - it's essentially an aerobics class.
  • jsandie76
    jsandie76 Posts: 201 Member
    Options

Body Pump on the other hand...? TOO MANY REPS. Drives me insane. Did it for a couple of months but didn't feel like I was making progress - due to fatigue I could not increase the weights quickly enough, and I always got bored about halfway through (and no one seems to be able to squat properly with that many reps).

Now doing free heavy weights in the weights room has done wonders for me psychologically and physically.

Balance is likee yoga/ t'ai chi and I'm not really into that (not enough sweat involved for me!).

Jam is good for people who like dancing (it's all to current music and very trendy. Not me, I'm a fighter not a dancer :laugh:). CX Worx is not bad (a short 30min abs session) but I'm dubious about its benefits.

I've tried Body Step in a previous gym and liked it well enough - it's essentially an aerobics class.

Sounds like you belong to a Goodlife fitness :wink: So do I! Any chance you are from Windsor, ON? I am looking for a fitness buddy and can't seem to find one :tongue: :frown:
  • littlesprite11
    littlesprite11 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Les Mills Combat and Pump together right now. (DVDS) I love it!.. never thought I would be lifting weights..lol
  • Jennyd1314
    Jennyd1314 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I love body pump & combat. (All my gym offer). I do body combat classes twice a week & when my boys go back to school in September I'll be back at body pump! Just bought a combat DVD to do at home!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I am quite new to mfp and trying to lose weight. I am 100lbs + overweight. I just joined a gym two weeks ago and I am doing strength training 2x/week with a trainer and once a week on my own as well as 20-30 mins of cardio daily. I have been very interested in the Body Pump class my gym offers but I am wondering if it will be too much for a beginner. Any opinions or suggestions?

BodyPump is excellent for beginners!! You can do most of the tracks with little to no weights, and then add and build as you go. Try to make it a goal to challenge yourself with the weights, otherwise they may not feel like enough to engage the target muscle groups. Let either the instructors or another class member know you are new, and they will help you with all the tools you need (bench top, risers, empty bar, weights of various sizes).
  • tjthegreatone
    Options

Sounds like you belong to a Goodlife fitness :wink: So do I! Any chance you are from Windsor, ON? I am looking for a fitness buddy and can't seem to find one :tongue: :frown:

Ah, shame I live in the UK (in Berkshire actually - 5 miles from the real Windsor :wink: ) I love Canada though! Visited Montreal and Toronto last year, and if I had to emigrate it'd be my top choice hands down.
    Your gym sounds excellent (just like mine). Wish I had a gym buddy too. Can never get my friends to share my obsession.
    Feel free to add me and we can be virtual friends living in parallel Windsors :flowerforyou:
  • halfabaileys
    halfabaileys Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Where can you buy DVDs?
  • lisamarie447
    lisamarie447 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am a HUGE Les Mills fan. I have never enjoyed classes as much as I have since I started taking these! :-)
  • SimplyDenyse
    SimplyDenyse Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I love Les Mills.. I do body attack 2x's week and I'm currently debating on GRIT.. its offered the exact same time as body attack and not sure which is better. Anyone have any feedback on GRIT?
  • DreamOfSunshine
    DreamOfSunshine Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I am a result of correct eating and Les Mills - Body Combat and Body Pump classes ... would love to try some of the others ( high intense cardio or strenght ) , but my gym doesn't have them all ... but I'm a HUGE fan! :)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I love Les Mills.. I do body attack 2x's week and I'm currently debating on GRIT.. its offered the exact same time as body attack and not sure which is better. Anyone have any feedback on GRIT?

From what I understand GRIT is a shorter class (1/2 hour?), very intense. I would suggest taking it at least once to see if you like it. It's always great to have options and choices even with classes happening at the same time. If your instructor can't make it to class , or if you just don't feel like that class on a particular day, or if you get delayed and are too late for one class you could still take the other, in this case , shorter one.
  • MissB46
    MissB46 Posts: 143 Member
    Options

Love Grit - only one the Plyo version so far, but its really intense, if you do it, make sure you have a pee before the class :blushing:

Personally I prefer it to Body Attack as that is a bit too choreographed for me....
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I do Les Mills BodyCombat at home and am starting BodyPump next week (at home as well) CAN'T WAIT! love love love Les Mills
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I realize this thread was started last summer, but wanted to chime in that I am a Les Mills fan! I currently don't take any classes as the times offered at my small gym do not jive with my schedule. But my younger sister is an instructor, she teaches several of the Les Mills classes. When I used to go to the larger gym she works at, I took BodyPump and BodyJam. I tried BodyAttack once, but that was just too much for me. Maybe because I was just beginning my fitness journey, so perhaps I should give it another chance in the future. They also have a new-ish one called Sh'Bam which is like a jazz-danced base class that I got to try out when my sister was training to teach it. It was a lot of fun, but again can't make it to the clas time right now. (same goes for Zumba- only get to it very rarely)

My gym is moving though to a larger location and I am hoping they will start offering more classes and times. I love my strength-training, but I love to dance and want to do it just for fun!
  • SimplyDenyse
    SimplyDenyse Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Love Grit - only one the Plyo version so far, but its really intense, if you do it, make sure you have a pee before the class :blushing:

Personally I prefer it to Body Attack as that is a bit too choreographed for me....

I tried GRIT on Monday and really liked it. It was super tough but such a good workout. My arms are killing me today (Tuesday) I went ahead and signed up for 2xs per week for the month of March.
  • mica912015
    mica912015 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I do sh'bam twice a week, just wondering does anyone know what to put it as under exercise on the fitness pal app. I do Zumba too and that's on there but not sh'bam? Thankyiu
  • clafairy1984
    clafairy1984 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Les Mills has become my life line. Classes are fun and instructors are motivational. I've gone up to doing 8 classes a week; Attack once, Pump x3, Combat, Spin, Balance x2. My fitness has improved, and more wobblier bits have started to tighten up a bit. My clothes fit better, and friends, family and colleagues have commented on noticeable difference. I started doing Pump about 3 months ago, and I was so weak I had to use the lowest weights, but im slowly getting stronger and have been increasing slightly every few weeks, plus, i can now do press ups!! Combat is my fav, but on later than i'd like, so only do it once a week. When I started balance, about a month ago, I didn't think it would do much, but I can get lower in my squats now, and am a bit less wobbly, and enjoy the good stretch. I have always found it impossible to motivate myself to exercise on my own, and find the gym itself so so dull, without Les Mills I would have given up a long time ago, but instead have lost just over 4 st...and still going
  • brilliantwords
    brilliantwords Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm OBSESSED with Body Combat, and have been since my first class two years ago. I've also done RPM and Body Pump, but I never got into those the way I did with Combat. I was actually by the instructor last summer if I wanted to do the training to become an instructor, but I was actually a couple months pregnant at the time so had to decline. If I was going to instruct anything though, that is what I would pick.

I continued taking the class until 30 weeks pregnant, in addition to running and weight lifting, but then had to stop. I just started back at my gym 1 month ago, and Im currently 3 months postpartum. Body Combat class was the FIRST thing I went to on my first day back at the gym.. it never gets old!

I dont know anyone else that does this, and many have never heard of it or tried it. Anyone feel free to add me. :smile: