low carb ??? anyone try this before

Options

Replies

• TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be all or nothing, either... I didn't feel well on very LC (below 50g), but my "sweet spot" seems to be ~75-100 during the week (fruit/veg/dairy mostly), and maybe a little more here and there on weekends (a few crackers w/cheese, or sushi) - nothing is forbidden to me, and that makes a difference to my outlook as well (when I thought of bread as forbidden, I craved it like crazy; now I only choose to have it on occasion, as it's less satisfying than other choices for me).

Everyone is different- find what works for you!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    pedidiva wrote: »
    Snow3y wrote: »
    » show previous quotes

Your body doesn't need carbs eh?

You liver will make glucose from non carb food. It is called gluconeogenesis. Therefore, you do not need to eat carbohydrates. Human physiology. Great book by Guyton--he goes into it all.

Yup, that is why the Inuit evolved larger livers and a gene mutation to never enter ketosis

And a lifespan 12-15 years shorter than the average Canadian supposedly

Although source was wiki and I didn't dig further so I wouldn't bet my firstborn on it

Theres a few links in here:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/neal-barnard-md/eskimo-myth_b_5268420.html
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    pedidiva wrote: »
    Snow3y wrote: »
    » show previous quotes

Your body doesn't need carbs eh?

You liver will make glucose from non carb food. It is called gluconeogenesis. Therefore, you do not need to eat carbohydrates. Human physiology. Great book by Guyton--he goes into it all.

Yup, that is why the Inuit evolved larger livers and a gene mutation to never enter ketosis

And a lifespan 12-15 years shorter than the average Canadian supposedly

Although source was wiki and I didn't dig further so I wouldn't bet my firstborn on it

In Inuit regions of the country, women have a life expectancy of 72.8 years, compared to 81.3 years for women in the rest of the country.

reported by the Toronto Star...but polar bears n all...

I should get an Inuit pen pal type friend my age and see how it goes...
  • dormeanour
    dormeanour Posts: 3 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Go on the /keto subreddit on Reddit, you'll get a better picture of low carb than from people on here... Going low carb is the best choice I've ever made. I feel so energetic and I'm rarely ever hungry or crave junk anymore. I aim for 20 or less grams of carbs a day.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    For people who are low-carbers.

Could you please enlighten me on where you get your Vitamin K from?

Also, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and Potassium?
  • SezxyStef
    Options

pills?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I always want to know where some folks on here get their micros (especially when they go days and days and days without a single plant food in their diets, except maybe weekly marinara sauce). Most folks don't oblige. ETA Does your chow have substantial C E K and potassium?
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    marcosdt10 wrote: »
    I'm a try this low carving for 2 weeks to experiment and see what happens... I hate the feeling of being sluggish but if it helps reach my goal then why not lol thank you

OK ... please take this in the manner in which it is meant which is pure advice

Nothing but nothing is going to work if you go in with the attitude that you'll try it for a little

You need to create a way of eating that you can stick to during weight loss and forever after

Because there is no point in losing a bit of water weight and maybe a little fat, watching the scales drop then putting it all back on again

They are right when they say it's about lifestyle change - that doesn't mean it's easy - it means you have to promise yourself you are going for it forever

What I would strongly suggest is promise yourself you're going to weigh all your foods and log all your calories accurately, making sure over the week that you stay within your calorie goals

and you're going to move a little more so that you can eat even more

and if you then decide to try low carb then that's fine - because low carb is a way of eating that helps you hit your calories .. so is every other weight loss diet in the world

so focus on the calories .. focus on your commitment and don't just 'try something'

you've got to just believe you can do it .. and if you fail in one meal or one day you've got to log it and recommit and do it from then

because this is your life - and you get to choose losing weight or not. Losing weight is hard. Being overweight is hard. It's time to pick your hard!

This is well said, and great advice.

Also, specific to the low-carb aspect, two weeks isn't long enough to see if the low carb route is for you - it takes time and research. That two week mark is a rough point where your body is adjusting to having less carbs (tired, foggy, grouchy, achy) and if you have decided that is how you want to go about eating then you have to push through that point. However, that is based on my own experience. I still keep my carbs fairly low, and remember that initial phase very well.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I always want to know where some folks on here get their micros (especially when they go days and days and days without a single plant food in their diets, except maybe weekly marinara sauce). Most folks don't oblige. ETA Does your chow have substantial C E K and potassium?

I actually check my micros frequently. But I don't know a lot here that don't eat veggies/fruit everyday along with their grains etc.

Potassium is a hard one as it's not always on the label...but no I don't use vitamins.

I typically am great for C and K and D esp. Vitamin A is good...I watch my iron carefully as I have a high iron levels sometimes...

My B's are great too...I watch tho as my mom/gram are B12 deficient.

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Vegetables. One guy was worried he couldn't do Atkins as he "wasn't allowed to eat Vitamin K" as he was on anticoagulants or something.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I actually check my micros frequently. But I don't know a lot here that don't eat veggies/fruit everyday along with their grains etc.

Potassium is a hard one as it's not always on the label...but no I don't use vitamins.

I typically am great for C and K and D esp. Vitamin A is good...I watch my iron carefully as I have a high iron levels sometimes...

My B's are great too...I watch tho as my mom/gram are B12 deficient.
    Iron is typically my toughest one. I have to supplement D. I'm one of those who's always below there, despite diet and lifestyle...Otherwise, I do pretty well as well.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options

Low-carb and "zero-carb" aren't the same thing.
    Many low-carb folks do eat veggies, nuts, and other foods containing these vitamins.
    In addition, some meats, fish, and dairy contain potassium and vit K. Eggs have vit E, potassium, and K.

So where to low-carbers get vitamins?
    From eating food.

That would be more of a concern for very-low-carb eating plans, sub 10g. I can't speak for them.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Many low-carb folks do eat veggies, nuts, and other foods containing these vitamins.
    In addition, some meats, fish, and dairy contain potassium and vit K. Eggs have vit E, potassium, and K.

From eating food.

That would be more of a concern for very-low-carb eating plans, sub 10g. I can't speak for them.

Well put. Of course.

Low carb can be nutritious, and moderate carb can be nutritious. And both can be pretty unbalanced, nutrient wise.
  • rushbabe0214
    rushbabe0214 Posts: 105 Member
    Options

From eating food.

^ Agreed. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Vegetables. One guy was worried he couldn't do Atkins as he "wasn't allowed to eat Vitamin K" as he was on anticoagulants or something.
    This made me smile.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

My 'chow' contains 173mg of Vitamin C, 133 IU of Vitamin E, 152mcg of Vitamin K, and 3565 mg of Potassium.

So yeah, I get all of my micros.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

My 'chow' contains 173mg of Vitamin C, 133 IU of Vitamin E, 152mcg of Vitamin K, and 3565 mg of Potassium.

So yeah, I get all of my micros.

All of them? Cool. How does it taste?

I just input my day into spark people and I'm doing pretty darned well too. After my green smoothie this afternoon I'll be doing just about spot on.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    vgrezzy wrote: »
    Unless you have a medical condition that would warrant low carbs, I wouldn't go below 40-50% carbs. your body needs carbs for lots of energy, and fats and proteins are too difficult for your body to digest, so having too high fat% or protein% can harm your liver & back you up

Your body doesn't need carbs and a low carb diet is completely appropriate and healthy, if that is what one so chooses. Your body digests protein and carbs just fine. Your body also can function just fine without the presence of carbs, it's called ketosis. If you have a healthy liver and kidney....there is nothing unhealthy about low carb.

Low carb is not for everyone, but the fear mongering is totally not cool.

Correct. You don't need carbs to live, at all.

I've done a low-to-moderate carb diet for about three years. These days I am around 75-100G most days, so not super low, but much lower than the SAD. I do not feel tired, lethargic, weak or dizzy. For me, it is pretty sustainable. I have pizza and paella a couple of times a year, but other than that I pretty much stay on track. Yes, I have medical reasons for doing this.

This is a bit off topic, but I thought it was interesting that an obesity doctor who is herself not insulin resistant would choose to eat very low carb...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited June 2015
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    vgrezzy wrote: »
    Unless you have a medical condition that would warrant low carbs, I wouldn't go below 40-50% carbs. your body needs carbs for lots of energy, and fats and proteins are too difficult for your body to digest, so having too high fat% or protein% can harm your liver & back you up

Your body doesn't need carbs and a low carb diet is completely appropriate and healthy, if that is what one so chooses. Your body digests protein and carbs just fine. Your body also can function just fine without the presence of carbs, it's called ketosis. If you have a healthy liver and kidney....there is nothing unhealthy about low carb.

Low carb is not for everyone, but the fear mongering is totally not cool.

Correct. You don't need carbs to live, at all.

I've done a low-to-moderate carb diet for about three years. These days I am around 75-100G most days, so not super low, but much lower than the SAD. I do not feel tired, lethargic, weak or dizzy. For me, it is pretty sustainable. I have pizza and paella a couple of times a year, but other than that I pretty much stay on track. Yes, I have medical reasons for doing this.

This is a bit off topic, but I thought it was interesting that an obesity doctor who is herself not insulin resistant would choose to eat very low carb...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ

Great video. Except her voice! ouch.
    Otherwise, great video!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

From eating food.

Ha, I couldn't tell you where I get my vitamin k from, so I had to google it. Brussel sprouts and asparagus to the rescue! I would imagine most people who incorporate a variety of vegetables in their diets would hit their micros (no matter if they're high carb, low carb, or whatever).
This discussion has been closed.