Anyone else who doesn't count calories?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I only logged when I was losing my initial weight...I always viewed it somewhat akin to training wheels on a bike. It was a great learning tool, but eventually you just want to ride.

I have since maintained and done a deliberate bulk without logging and am currently cutting without logging.
    I am honestly curious about why you would bother with MFP if you weren't tracking? Is it just for the forums or articles? I guess the weight graph tracker?

1 - I have been very successful...just because I no longer log doesn't mean I can't be of assistance to others
    2 - yes...the forums are fairly entertaining
    3 - it keeps me involved in the world of fitness and nutrition at large
    4 - I've been here going on 3 years and have quite a few fitness centric friends...when you're into fitness and nutrition, it's nice to have others to converse with as I only have a handful of individuals in my "real world" to do that with.

Pretty much all of this.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    I only logged when I was losing my initial weight...I always viewed it somewhat akin to training wheels on a bike. It was a great learning tool, but eventually you just want to ride.

I have since maintained and done a deliberate bulk without logging and am currently cutting without logging.
    I am honestly curious about why you would bother with MFP if you weren't tracking? Is it just for the forums or articles? I guess the weight graph tracker?

1 - I have been very successful...just because I no longer log doesn't mean I can't be of assistance to others
    4 - I've been here going on 3 years and have quite a few fitness centric friends...when you're into fitness and nutrition, it's nice to have others to converse with as I only have a handful of individuals in my "real world" to do that with.

This, and I don't know everything. I find some of the people here have or come across some knowledge regarding fitness and/or nutrition and pass it on. I'll gladly learn what I can.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    I'm trying to get by without logging at the moment. It takes even greater discipline to avoid overeating, and emo eating. I'm attempting to get back in touch with my true appetite. I'm still weighing protein and hitting those macros, but also following an athletic diet with lots of pre loading of carbs and inclusion of many fruits, vegetables and high fibre carbs.
  • SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    I don't track or count calories, I eat real food so I don't have to. It's been working out great so far. :)
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    I log as best as I can, but I'm not super strict about it.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    I have short periods when I log for a variety of reasons - a specific cut, high volume training, changes in programs. Travel in America, because I eat poorly there. Tracking isn't just about weight loss.

But yeah, it may be training wheels for a lifestyle change.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited June 2015
    I used to count on and off butI gave up counting calories (hopefully forever) a few weeks ago and have since lost 3 pounds that I'm trying to gain back. Not counting calories has taken the obsession over the foods that I eat and has allowed me to enjoy different foods again instead of eating the same things everyday simply because I know how many calories and macros they contain. Shouldn't food be more than a number?
  • Fatimahasnain
    Fatimahasnain Posts: 91 Member
    Its been more than a month that I have stopped logging food. I used to cook for myself so it was easy to log now I am living with my family where my mother in law cooks so I have no idea about calories because in Pakistan/ Indian recipes calories varies and you can' t estimate. Surprising I haven't gained back any weight. The only thing I miss is feeling of in control.
  • jenniferjohnsonament
    jenniferjohnsonament Posts: 85 Member
    I've been getting more relaxed about tracking. I tend to not track on weekends (but I find that my healthier mindset keeps me MUCH more on track then I would've been before losing the weight!)
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    As long as I'm moderately exercising 10 hours a week, I can do that an lose.

I'm not exercising 10 hours a week. :)
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    I don't track or count calories, I eat real food so I don't have to. It's been working out great so far. :)

Yeah, I got fat on "real food", 100% home made from scratch.
  • onandoff
    onandoff Posts: 122 Member

This is true for me as well. I do not count calories and don't log meals either, but having MFP was helpful. Found a lot of info here, motivational stories to keep me going when I feel low, so as long as I am mindful at what I eat and try to keep the habit of exercising, I'm doing okay.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Trying a week of not logging because it's starting to get on my nerves. Hopefully I can monitor it over a month or so and if my weight remains stable I'll give it up for good.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    on a calorie counting website... asking who counts calories.

<scratches head>
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2015
    JoRocka wrote: »

<scratches head>

Actually, he asked who didn't. A few folks apparently.
    (myself included)

cheers
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member

<scratches head>

<---- doesn't count calories.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    I have not tracked consistently (other then adding protein in my head to make sure I get a minimum) for about a year now IIRC. I have been maintaining my weight within a 5lb range during that time.

I just try to focus on protein heavy meals/snacks and be mindful of what I am eating.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited June 2015
    SideSteel wrote: »

<scratches head>

<---- doesn't count calories.

<---- does not count calories either.
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    I don't either. I quit a while ago and have maintained. If I start gaining weight I'll start counting again. But I don't want to count for the rest of my life so i'm trying to give it a go by just attempting to do portion control and be smart about what i'm eating and how much of it I am. But calorie counting was vital to my success in losing weight and i'd do it again in a heart beat if I started gaining. But I admit, it did make me a little neurotic and obsessive.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

<scratches head>

Actually, he asked who didn't. A few folks apparently.
    (myself included)

cheers

it's an odd question to ask on a counting calorie site- you knew what I meant.

And I get there there are people on here who don't. But you have to admit to come on here asking who doesn't is kind of weird.