keto low carb refeed question

Options

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    tznb3.gif

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

I'm probably going to regret not closing this thread down, but this is your reminder to please discuss the topic respectfully, or move on without posting.
  • AlexEtheridge1996
    AlexEtheridge1996 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    Ofc he has no research. He's fell for the bro-science stuff with keto diets. It was evident when I was questioning him on the first page about CICO vs low carb and 'fat adaption'.
    shell1005 wrote: »
    That's what I thought.

I generally am pretty suspect of those who hide their research under a rock.
    Right, "Ketosis has a protein-sparing effect, assuming that you are consuming adequate quantities of protein and calories—0.7 grams per pound of body weight per day—in the first place.1 Once in ketosis, the body actually prefers ketones to glucose. Since the body has copious quantities of fat, this means there is no need to oxidize protein to generate glucose through gluconeogenesis."

Theres some information i thought of when making my point. As i said previously, people should do there own research and decide themselves on whether they believe or refute the idea. The internet is full of contradictory information
    I have personally experienced greater fat loss(not referring to weight loss) during ketosis on a low carb diet, than on a high carb diet with a larger deficit. Hence why im wondering whether it would be optimal to stay in ketosis, and refeed low carbs (increase calories and fat, rather than calories and carbs)

If you're just looking at the scale, that will most definitely water weight coming off. Low carb diets do that.

Going low carb doesn't make you lose any more weight than eating a balanced diet whilst counting calories...

I have body fat scales, i think i know what has worked better. It depends what you call a balanced diet, but eating 'clean' yet having high carbs was not as successful as doing keto, for body fat specifically.
    I have personally experienced greater fat loss(not referring to weight loss) during ketosis on a low carb diet, than on a high carb diet with a larger deficit. Hence why im wondering whether it would be optimal to stay in ketosis, and refeed low carbs (increase calories and fat, rather than calories and carbs)

If you're just looking at the scale, that will most definitely water weight coming off. Low carb diets do that.

Going low carb doesn't make you lose any more weight than eating a balanced diet whilst counting calories...
    i did specify i was not referring to weight loss. Have you tried low carb/ketogenic diet?

Yes, I have tried a ketogenic diet in the past. I didn't particularly like it because it restricted foods that I liked to eat.

If you're eating at the same caloric deficit on a balanced diet and a low carb diet, there isn't any reason for any extra fat loss on the low carb. Correct?

it depends how long you did it for, how low you had carbs and whether you actually became fat adapted.

Balanced diet is very vague, but i, and many others have experienced greater fat loss on a low carb (under 30g) ketogenic diet.

i would personally say incorrect. You cant argue with a body basically running on fat as a constant energy source (fully adapted). If someone consumes say 200g of carbs a day, one would first use the carbs consumed as energy, and then look for others sources (glycogen, fat, muscle etc)

So with the keto diet, does your body use your fat intake (because you ramp it up), or does it use bodyfat? I've never truly understood that concept.

the body becomes fat adapted; it starts to burn fat as a fuel at rest and during exercise. Where as one on a high carb diet would mainly burn glycogen, and rarely tap into fat storage

And how does a caloric deficit play into that then, if carbs are burned instead of fat?
    if one is in a deficit, they will (or should) lose weight as they're not eating enough to maintain their weight. However i think the difference is on a ketogenic diet is that because there are no carbs/glycogen, and the body adaps to burning fat efficiency (not glycogen), therefore the deficit on a keto diet goes solely towards burning fat.

a lot of people stall on high carb low fat diets. What do they then do? Lower and lower their intake..

But you're meant to consume <60g carbs on a ketogenic diet, right? So if I didn't bother counting calories on a ketogenic diet and I ate abundantly, I would lose weight because the body is fat adapted?

No, you still need a deficit. Thats where the fat/muscle or weight loss occurs.

Then wouldn't that mean with a ketogenic diet and a caloric deficit wouldn't yield any larger fat loss than a non ketogenic diet and a caloric deficit?

You know it all boils down to calories, not low carbing or high carbing.

I just explained how one who is fat adapted will burn more fat in a deficit than someone who has a high card diet. Once the body uses energy from food, it looks for other sources. Fat adapted individuals use fat, where as other would not. Also weight loss is not always fat loss

Any studies to back that up? I'm intrigued.

can you please do your own research and decide whether you agree? Continue to drink your coke and have sugary and carby krave for breakfast, but if you think iifym is as good as a clean/balanced diet youre wrong. Also, research about carb blood sugar spike and the effect of insulin (promotes fat storage)

No need to get hostile.

Sorry but you have claimed to of tried a keto diet, yet you think its 60g and under carbs(under 30 optimal) and you dont understand it's principles

Then you'd know the carbohydrate range varies from 20-100g of carbs as slipping into a state of ketosis is different for everybody. And yes, I do understand it's principles.

You lower your carbohydrate intake to a level where you are in ketosis, i.e 60g carbohydrates.
    You have a moderate protein intake to prevent yourself from slipping into a state of gluconeogenesis (I'm still reading up on this, but I reckon it takes a lot of protein for this to happen).
    You increase your fat intake, as this is supposedly what is used for fuel instead of carbohydrates as well as to keep yourself satiated. But then, you weren't clear on whether body fat or dietary fat was used for fuel when you become 'fat adapted'. A
    dietary fat will be used first as the body will at least burn the calories you eat. The deficit you create from what you eat and what your burn will determine the fat loss. Unless anyone can better explain it?

I have body fat scales, i think i know what has worked better. It depends what you call a balanced diet, but eating 'clean' yet having high carbs was not as successful as doing keto, for body fat specifically.

i did specify i was not referring to weight loss. Have you tried low carb/ketogenic diet?

Yes, I have tried a ketogenic diet in the past. I didn't particularly like it because it restricted foods that I liked to eat.

If you're eating at the same caloric deficit on a balanced diet and a low carb diet, there isn't any reason for any extra fat loss on the low carb. Correct?

it depends how long you did it for, how low you had carbs and whether you actually became fat adapted.

Balanced diet is very vague, but i, and many others have experienced greater fat loss on a low carb (under 30g) ketogenic diet.

i would personally say incorrect. You cant argue with a body basically running on fat as a constant energy source (fully adapted). If someone consumes say 200g of carbs a day, one would first use the carbs consumed as energy, and then look for others sources (glycogen, fat, muscle etc)

So with the keto diet, does your body use your fat intake (because you ramp it up), or does it use bodyfat? I've never truly understood that concept.

the body becomes fat adapted; it starts to burn fat as a fuel at rest and during exercise. Where as one on a high carb diet would mainly burn glycogen, and rarely tap into fat storage

And how does a caloric deficit play into that then, if carbs are burned instead of fat?
    if one is in a deficit, they will (or should) lose weight as they're not eating enough to maintain their weight. However i think the difference is on a ketogenic diet is that because there are no carbs/glycogen, and the body adaps to burning fat efficiency (not glycogen), therefore the deficit on a keto diet goes solely towards burning fat.

a lot of people stall on high carb low fat diets. What do they then do? Lower and lower their intake..

Right, I totally understand the caloric deficit thing. I just don't get why low carbing would give you bigger fat loss if the caloric deficit is the
    same? If your body uses dietary fat?
    if your body is forced to use the dietary fat from food as its main energy source it begins to become fat adapted right. Well after it has consumed and used all energy from food, it will look to use another source of energy. Because a keto dietor will be fat adapted because the bodys using dietary fat for energy, it is more readily able to then burn stored body fat as energy. However a high carbers body will first use carbs(from foo as energy, then deplete glycogen stores and even then there bodys arent adapted well to burning fat as energy = could account for lower levels of fat loss(not weight loss as this can be muscle)

OP the thing you're forgetting is that the body uses fat and carbohydrates as energy whether you're low carbing or not. It even uses protein in dire situations. But think about this, if it was fat adapted, that means there'd have to be 0 carbohydrates coming in, otherwise it'd try and use those 30g of carbs you get daily on a keto diet?

You literally have no idea what you're talking about.
    the body uses fat not very well in the presense of carbs. Do you know what you are talking about? You can be fat adapted and have minimal carb intake? What happens when the small amount of carbs are used up quickly?

[/quote]

I literally can't even[/quote]
    Sorry, it was worded badly. What i was trying to portray is that carbs are prioritised as a main source of energy in any diet. So in that way fat burning is limited. Ok?
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    To be fair, you can find legitimate evidence for both sides because we're not all robot people whose bodies lose weight the same way. Just because he's not posting research and evidence that you deem legitimate does not mean that keto doesn't work for everyone.
    exactly. Who needs to find evidence when only us who have gave keto a fair chance have benefitted massively. I for one could not of achieved what i have on a iifym style diet that allows anything, namely malteizers, orange juice daily, coke, deep pan pizzas etc like this guy arguing with me

The key to a successful IIFYM diet is to, uh, not eat all those things all the time. You will find few, if any, IIFYMers who actually do eat like that all the time. It's hyperbole.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Fat burning is not limited at all if carbohydrates are present in your diet. Calories, its all about the calories. Literally.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

But you're meant to consume <60g carbs on a ketogenic diet, right? So if I didn't bother counting calories on a ketogenic diet and I ate abundantly, I would lose weight because the body is fat adapted?

No, you still need a deficit. Thats where the fat/muscle or weight loss occurs.

Then wouldn't that mean with a ketogenic diet and a caloric deficit wouldn't yield any larger fat loss than a non ketogenic diet and a caloric deficit?

You know it all boils down to calories, not low carbing or high carbing.

I just explained how one who is fat adapted will burn more fat in a deficit than someone who has a high card diet. Once the body uses energy from food, it looks for other sources. Fat adapted individuals use fat, where as other would not. Also weight loss is not always fat loss

Any studies to back that up? I'm intrigued.

can you please do your own research and decide whether you agree? Continue to drink your coke and have sugary and carby krave for breakfast, but if you think iifym is as good as a clean/balanced diet youre wrong. Also, research about carb blood sugar spike and the effect of insulin (promotes fat storage)

Dude, don't do this. Everyone has a different path to weightloss. And this coming from someone who has been keto-ing for nearly two years now. Just because keto helped me lose weight that wasn't budging on a standard diet, doesn't mean that a standard diet for others won't work for them.

• Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    To be fair, you can find legitimate evidence for both sides because we're not all robot people whose bodies lose weight the same way. Just because he's not posting research and evidence that you deem legitimate does not mean that keto doesn't work for everyone.

Unless someone has a medical condition, we do lose weight in the same way. We all can have different ways of getting there, but that's personal preference. There is nothing wrong with asking someone to share where their beliefs came from and the research that they alluded to. The defensiveness when asked is telling. The name calling by the OP is also telling.

And I guess you miss that I am currently doing a low carb diet. I just don't think it's magic. It's just a tool to get to a calorie deficit.

And keto doesn't work for everyone. It's not the way that everyone wants to lose weight rather.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with asking for research, but to blow him off and say, "Oh, it's broscience". I don't agree with the OP's use of words or name-calling but I think he's just frustrated.

And its naive to believe that science is perfect. Scientific research can be flawed for many reasons. It is not the end all be all. Have you given us research to back up the fact that keto doesn't work? And for every study you post, any person who Googles could find another study to prove yours wrong.

It comes down to personal experience and preference. Like the OP, I too feel like complete and utter crap when I overdo sugars and processed foods. Some people do not understand how sugar sets me up for worse cravings and I actually have LESS energy. Low carb dieting helps me stay within my calorie deficit better. It works better for MY body, and no guy in a lab coat performing research experiments can tell me any different. To each his own.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

Unless someone has a medical condition, we do lose weight in the same way. We all can have different ways of getting there, but that's personal preference. There is nothing wrong with asking someone to share where their beliefs came from and the research that they alluded to. The defensiveness when asked is telling. The name calling by the OP is also telling.

And I guess you miss that I am currently doing a low carb diet. I just don't think it's magic. It's just a tool to get to a calorie deficit.

And keto doesn't work for everyone. It's not the way that everyone wants to lose weight rather.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with asking for research, but to blow him off and say, "Oh, it's broscience". I don't agree with the OP's use of words or name-calling but I think he's just frustrated.

And its naive to believe that science is perfect. Scientific research can be flawed for many reasons. It is not the end all be all. Have you given us research to back up the fact that keto doesn't work? And for every study you post, any person who Googles could find another study to prove yours wrong.

It comes down to personal experience and preference. Like the OP, I too feel like complete and utter crap when I overdo sugars and processed foods. Some people do not understand how sugar sets me up for worse cravings and I actually have LESS energy. Low carb dieting helps me stay within my calorie deficit better. It works better for MY body, and no guy in a lab coat performing research experiments can tell me any different. To each his own.

We were given broscience many times.
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Keto and low carb are not necessarily the same thing. Keto is always low carb, but low carb is not always keto. Keto is higher fat and moderate protein. Low carb could mean anything from 20 carbs to 50 or more and higher protein (maybe lower fats, it depends).

And you're absolutely right in that you should not just blindly believe what someone on the Internet says, but on the other hand, you can't just dismiss it as "broscience" automatically either just because someone prefers not to take the time to post research or does not articulate their views in a way you would like.
  • AlexEtheridge1996
    Options
    Keto and low carb are not necessarily the same thing. Keto is always low carb, but low carb is not always keto. Keto is higher fat and moderate protein. Low carb could mean anything from 20 carbs to 50 or more and higher protein (maybe lower fats, it depends).

And you're absolutely right in that you should not just blindly believe what someone on the Internet says, but on the other hand, you can't just dismiss it as "broscience" automatically either just because someone prefers not to take the time to post research or does not articulate their views in a way you would like.

correct, i have been specifically talking about keto, not low carb because one can be on 'low" carbs yet not be in ketosis or fat adapted.

At first i was trying inform the individual from what i know or have experienced from keto, but constantly getting questioned or asked where my information is from wasjust annoying. Expecially when i said i do not think im right, i have just read, researched and told others to do the same before calling me out This diet has worked much better than other diets in terms of fat loss, and i have accounted this to keto, not a change in calories in or out :) just my experience after all

• AlexEtheridge1996
    Options

• AlexEtheridge1996
    Options

i said do your own research so i didnt get called out like i have. I havent claimed what i have said is correct, just for you to research yourself and conclude what you would like.
  • AlexEtheridge1996
    Options
    Fat burning is not limited at all if carbohydrates are present in your diet. Calories, its all about the calories. Literally.

if thats what you believe fron your own research then thats okay? I really don't care what you personally believe :)

• AlexEtheridge1996
    Options
    richln wrote: »

I would argue that there is no such thing as adapting to using fat as an energy source. Your body uses whatever energy you provide it for fuel, and then goes into catabolism only if there is a caloric deficit, unless you don't agree with CICO theory.

There are 3 benefits to a refeed or overfeed: psychological break from sustained deficit, leptin increase, and glycogen refill.

The leptin increase and glycogen refill can only come from overfeeding carbs.
    The latter points answer my question about this thread :) i was wondering whether overfeeding calories would compensate for not carbing up

Regarding your opinion on the fat adaption, i found a few links that may or may not change your opinion. Not saying the link is reliable either, its where i got the idea from and it wasnt just my 'bro science' :)
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/what-does-it-mean-to-be-fat-adapted/#axzz3d90wCUFh
  • AlexEtheridge1996
    edited June 2015
    Options

I would argue that there is no such thing as adapting to using fat as an energy source. Your body uses whatever energy you provide it for fuel, and then goes into catabolism only if there is a caloric deficit, unless you don't agree with CICO theory.

There are 3 benefits to a refeed or overfeed: psychological break from sustained deficit, leptin increase, and glycogen refill.

The leptin increase and glycogen refill can only come from overfeeding carbs.

The latter points answer my question about this thread :) i was wondering whether overfeeding calories would compensate for not carbing up

Regarding your opinion on the fat adaption, i found a few links that may or may not change your opinion. Not saying the link is reliable either, its where i got the idea from and it wasnt just my 'bro science' :)
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/what-does-it-mean-to-be-fat-adapted/#axzz3d90wCUFh
  • AlexEtheridge1996
    Options

fat-burning beast can effectively burn stored fat for energy throughout the day. If you can handle missing meals and are able to go hours without getting ravenous and cranky (or craving carbs), you’re likely fat-adapted.

A fat-burning beast is able to effectively oxidize dietary fat for energy. If you’re adapted, your post-prandial fat oxidation will be increased, and less dietary fat will be stored in adipose tissue.

A fat-burning beast has plenty of accessible energy on hand, even if he or she is lean. If you’re adapted, the genes associated with lipid metabolism will be upregulated in your skeletal muscles. You will essentially reprogram your body.

A fat-burning beast can rely more on fat for energy during exercise, sparing glycogen for when he or she really needs it. As I’ve discussed before, being able to mobilize and oxidize stored fat during exercise can reduce an athlete’s reliance on glycogen.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/what-does-it-mean-to-be-fat-adapted/#ixzz3dEQWtOyV
  • AlexEtheridge1996
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Since it seems important, I am in a diet that allows me to remain in ketosis. However, my opinion on low carb or keto isn't more or less valid as a result. Nor did I ever say keto didn't work. I said some of the claims made in this thread about a low carb or keto diet are absolutely suspect.

However, I encourage each person to find their own diet that gets them to a deficit the easiest and do that. If it is keto, great. If it is IIFYM, also great. Different strokes.

That's all for me in this thread since I am turned off by people's inability to have a discussion or a discord of beliefs when it turns to immature name calling and defensiveness. Take care, enjoy your journey.
    Sorry but a few of people were having a go, with 'bro science' etc and questioning what i was proposing (even when i said i didnt say any of it was of scientific truth). Most of what i wrote has came from information from sites and researching several different sites that i cannot remember the original destination. Thus letting people research and read up on topics themselves will enable them to come to a judgement regarding validity of discussions.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I would argue that there is no such thing as adapting to using fat as an energy source.

I would disagree, if you want your brain and other tissues to be largely fuelled by ketones in the absence of dietary carbohydrates it's cool to give them time to adapt to this and upregulate the relevant enzymes and processes.

If your RQ drops to 0.73 from 0.85 at rest you've adapted somehow.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I am sure you won't answer, but I'd love to see the research/science on that.

I just read an article that said the opposite. It wasn't research or science. It was on a body building site, but made an opposite statement.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1373635/