Camping - what are your favorite food items to bring?

Options
Going camping this weekend Fri til Sunday. First time since calorie counting and really unsure what I want to bring. What's your favorite? Or must buy?

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Site camping, or backpacking?
  • supercoolkid98
    supercoolkid98 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Site camping
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    What are your options for cooking? I can envision a range of being limited to a fire pit to a regular stove.

Also, what will you have for refrigeration?
  • CandiedCarrion
    CandiedCarrion Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Almonds/mixed nuts - delicious if you plan on roasting them in the fire, and make a good snack.

Oatmeal Ingredients - package them separately so they're pre-portioned. I like to use the oats, dried fruit like cranberries, nuts, and brown sugar.

If you want something filling, make a hearty vegetable soup that you know will keep and just heat it up when you're hungry.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Alcohol
  • teanahk
    teanahk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Tea/instant coffee. Canned soup/chilli/beans, buns, and cheese make for easy lunch. For dinner hotdogs and campfire baked potatoes. For breakfast bacon/Turkey bacon and eggs with fried leftover potatoes from the night before.
    Bring some snackable veggies like baby carrots, sugar snap peas, and celery sticks. I'd try to go easy on the junk food snacks but probably bring a small pack of cheesies and some trail mix. I'd usually go with a zillion marshmallows, but now I'd maybe do banana boats instead.
    Jiffy pop popcorn is super fun over a fire.
    That might not be the healthiest list. Lol. I need to go camping.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    S'mores
    Burgers
    fruit
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Alcohol

This^^^ is the most important thing.

I also like to cook meat/veggies in foil packets over a fire. The last time I went camping, I added strips of steak, some diced potatoes, sliced onions, and sliced green peppers together, seasoned with some salt & pepper and maybe a bit of olive oil if you have it. Wrap it all up in foil and cook over your campfire (we had a cast iron grill thing to put over it) for 20 minutes or so.

Fish works well for this, also, if you go fishing. I would do the potatoes separate from fish, as the cooking times will be different and you don't want to overcook your fish.

Peeps are awesome roasted over a campfire, also (thanks @Kruggeri for introducing me to this awesomeness), and they make great S'Mores.
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    French Press coffee maker.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    weiners
  • amycfatnomore
    amycfatnomore Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Instead of smores, we bought a jar of marshmallow fluff and dipped strawberries in it and roasted it (thank you Pinterest for that one). My daughter used way more fluff than I did, but yummmmmm! And we brought lots of fruit and carrot sticks (instead of chips & junk) to munch on. For supper one night did portabello mushrooms with a little bit of butter (teaspoon) and worcestershire sauce and few beef bouillon granules in a foil pouch thrown right on the coals. Then a lean steak and asparagus seasoned only with spices & olive oil spray cooked over the grill. It was the most amazing meal and it wasn't hard and it all fit in a little cooler.
  • supercoolkid98
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    What are your options for cooking? I can envision a range of being limited to a fire pit to a regular stove.

Camp fire cooking and two stove burners. We're able to cook many different things. :D
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Yes on the roasted Peeps! Yes on the alcohol too! Also the foil wrapped meals!

I have the same questions about refrigeration, stove vs campfire, and equipment.

There are some great recipes here if you have a Dutch Oven.

http://50campfires.com/35-incredibly-easy-dutch-oven-recipes-camping/

We have made corn on the cob and baked potatoes wrapped in foil in the coals of an open fire, while we grill burgers or pork chops or steaks on the grate.

I've also made pizzas on the grate too, you have to be careful that the flames are not high.

Also sometimes we pick up fried chicken on your way, it's good cold a day later.

Have fun I hope you have good weather!
  • supercoolkid98
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Camp fire cooking and two stove burners. We're able to cook many different things. :D

Cooler with ice for cold stuff.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Alcohol

snort!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I like string cheese, fresh fruit (apples and oranges travel well and don't need to stay in the cooler), canned chicken, eggs for the first day or so (they will keep okay in the cooler), oatmeal.

For dinner my absolute favorite is "camper's pizza." Get a small (8") Boboli crust (thin crust has fewer calories). Spray regular frying pan with nonstick spray and place Boboli inside. Smear with Boboli (or other) pizza sauce. Top with canned chicken, a jar of marinated artichoke hearts, fresh tomatoes, olives, cheese, and any other toppings you want. Put a lid on the frying pan, place on your camping stove and turn the heat on very, very low. Let it sit (do not peek!) for about 10 minutes. The cheese should be melted and the crust will be crisp. Slide onto a plate and enjoy! One small Boboli is usually enough for two people.
  • HuskyHiker413
    HuskyHiker413 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken, corn on the cob, burgers, grilled vegetables....

I can't wait to go camping again!
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I love just about anything I can make with two pieces of bread in a hobo-pie iron...

http://www.rei.com/product/752497/camp-chef-cooking-iron

Though, I do also love cooking in a cast iron dutch oven with coals from the fire. Breakfast strata is a favorite with my campers. I also like long-cooking options done with coals, so just about anything that can be done in a crock pot.

If I'm not camping for long, or don't have much time to cook, I vacuum pack my meals and freeze them, then re-heat them in boiling water on the camp stove (they have special vac pack bags for this). Spaghetti sauce and stew and the like work well for this. If I'm going to be on site for longer than a week, I like to cook from scratch, and can even make bread in the dutch oven. :)
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm in the same boat of sorts: going camping this weekend for the first time since calorie counting and being grain/legume/sugar free. Going to bring hotdogs, nuts and seeds, fruit, cashew butter, skewered veggies to grill, and some Zevia sodas.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Ziploc omelets