Why can't I poop?!

Options
I haven't had an amazing bowel movement in a few weeks. I'm a 25y/o female, do HIIT 15-20 times monthly depending on my schedule, and have one of most whole food diets of anyone I know.

Breakfast:
Coffee with coconut milk
MAYBE some nuts if I sprinted

Lunch:
Massive salad with a base of kale or some other dark green, usually 80% organic with homemade olive oil & ACV dressing, flax seed, grass-fed beef or free range organic chicken breast, avocado, tomatoes, and maybe some cheese, but not often with dairy.

Dinner:

Steak & Eggs, or lamb chops, or chicken breast. Usually all free-range/organic of some sort. Either some veggies sautéed with bacon, or some diced root veggies. And usually an egg on top.

Snacks are not too common. I drink a lot of water and don't often have much time to. If I do, it's either nuts or dried fruit.

But I feel like the only time I have a relieving bowel movement is after a cheat day or a day of drinking beer. My cheat days are pretty intense. Very carby and boozy. But that's maybe one day a week tops and other people I know that partake in a cheat day similar to mine still have normal bowels when they aren't having a cheat day.

Before and during my period I get constipated a bit, and then it goes away. But before my most recent period (last week) I was constipated a week before, during my period, and now almost a week after. I haven't had an amazing feel-like-a-million-bucks BM in a long time. What can I do naturally? I do not believe in taking medicine from a doctor at all. Thanks guys!

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Not enough fat and fiber.
  • feedfeedfoodfood
    feedfeedfoodfood Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of healthy fats all throughout the day and a lot of veggies with every meal though.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Dandelion tea.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Well, I know you don't want to take medicine, but maybe you should at least see a doctor if this is out of the norm for you and if you are getting enough fiber.
  • nguyenlychee
    nguyenlychee Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had an issue with digestion, sorta similar to yours? I only pooped 1/week, SOMETIMES 2/week. This went on for years. I thought it was normal because it lasted so long, but it ain't.

I dropped all the soluble fibre, and started eating insoluble fibre (google list of food items high in this). I sprinkle most of my dishes with red bran or chia seeds, which are super high in insoluble fibre. Now, I do it 4-6 times a week. Been this way since autumn/2014. WOO!
  • mccindy72
    Options
    People get a little too hung up on the words 'healthy' fats. Your body needs saturated fats for a reason. Eating 'clean' as so many people like to do often results in this type of thing happening. Most people who eat pretty much anything, but eat in moderation, are usually regular and not having this issue. And veggies are not the only source of fiber that your body needs.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Gross

Inadequate fiber, protein, water.... All I can say.
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    A side effect of various prescription drugs is the dreaded constipation. Are you taking any?

ETA - D'oh! I just noticed you don't take any medicines from doctors.
  • feedfeedfoodfood
    Options
    No prescriptions for me. Yeah, I have to agree with when I made less of an effort to focus on adopting a certain diet and ruling out specific foods I was much more "regular", but my body didn't feel good and I was also left feeling really tired, gained weight, etc.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Check your fat and fiber. I have problems with fiber being TOO high and fat being too low.

Eat some fat, and do this. You'll be fixed up in 30 minutes afterward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XGwvPoiItw
  • mccindy72
    Options
    No prescriptions for me. Yeah, I have to agree with when I made less of an effort to focus on adopting a certain diet and ruling out specific foods I was much more "regular", but my body didn't feel good and I was also left feeling really tired, gained weight, etc.

If you gained weight it was because you were eating too many calories, not because of the type of food. I'm not saying you need to just eat a bunch of junk food, just to relax the restrictions a little bit. Being constipated all the time can't feel too good, either.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Magnesium citrate.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    lol maybe you should just eat a big mac and do some spring cleaning :)
    Even better; sugar-free haribo gummies. Dun dun dunnn.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    lol maybe you should just eat a big mac and do some spring cleaning :)
    Even better; sugar-free haribo gummies. Dun dun dunnn.

Bwah ha ha! So true.
  • feedfeedfoodfood
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Magnesium citrate.

Can you or anyone tell me about your experience with this? I read it on another site and got some mixed reviews, most being positive.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Eat more bread and rice.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Add some oat bran to your diet. I sprinkle mine on fruit. Or make an egg white oat bran "pancake". You won't have this problem any longer. I also add this chia, coconut fiber, hemp heart mix, 2 tablespoons, on yogurt, your bowels will not be able to resist.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Magnesium citrate.

Can you or anyone tell me about your experience with this? I read it on another site and got some mixed reviews, most being positive.

Magnesium citrate is usually used as a prep for people who are going to have a colonoscopy. If you buy it and drink a bottle, you'll have diarrhea. If you get into the habit of using laxatives every time you are constipated, eventually your rectal sphincter won't work right and you'll suffer from anal seepage. Sorry to be gross, but it's true. You're better off correcting it with diet.