Thinking of eliminating cheese from my diet

Options

Replies

• ChuckeeCheezit
    ChuckeeCheezit Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I eliminated it for just over a year (I was vegan) and it was great! I am lactose intolerant so I tend to get bloated when I eat it anyways, but now, I eat it very rarely and in small amounts when I do. Depending on how much you eat, just cutting back to one small piece a day could help reduce bloating and intestinal inflammation.

Exactly this. i am also lactose intolerant. i recently cut out all dairy and lost about an inch off my waist within 2 days while staying the same weight. it was all that bloat and inflammation from eating dairy for years.

65% of the population shouldnt be eating cheese. if you have even a small resistance to lactose it could be affecting you more than you know.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    The population of Wisconsin and Vermont both heartily disagree with this idea.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I think it's a terrible idea. Cheese is incredible.
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have high cholesterol, but I am overweight and out of shape. I know when my weight was normal and I was exercising and in good shape, my cholesterol was normal. I'm on a mission to get my weight down and I'm exercising again. So I am expecting, if I do my part, my cholesterol will be normal when I get checked again.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    NEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    Most cheese has very, very little lactose in it.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Nope nope nope. Cheese makes an big contribution to my protein and calcium intake. And it's delicious.
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i have done it in the past, for various reasons. the longer you live without it, the less you miss it. I don't care at all for the "vegan cheese" sold in stores, but some people do. others will tell you they substitute "nutritional yeast". I like nutritional yeast for what it is.... but it ain't nothing like cheese. my running buddy went from vegetarian to vegan over two years ago. She didn't think she could give up cheese, but now she seriously doesn't miss it at all.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Anyone else do this? How do you feel? I love cheese Idk how i'ma do it

Have you thought about adding foods in to your diet that will help reduce your cholesterol? Having oatmeal every day with a tablespoon of ground flax seeds would help you. Maybe then you could still have a bit of cheese here and there :)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    What is the motive to eliminate cheese?
    I have high cholesterol and despite eating healthy and exercising a lot the past 3 months it hasn't gone down. I'm only 20 and I'm just a little overweight. I eat a good amount of cheese and even the reduced fat ones have a good amount of bad fats so yeah.
    You'd need to establish removing cheese affects your personal cholesterol. Nutrition guidelines are planning on reducing emphasis on avoiding cholesterol as it isn't a great predictor of blood cholesterol.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    There are so many kinds of cheese - how can you eliminate all cheese? Parmesan. Mozzarella. Cheddar. Gorgonzola. Brie. Colby. Asiago. Swiss. Gruyere. Feda. Bleu.

Need I say more?

Oh, I love all the cheese you just listed. Real cheese, not this processed stuff.

I thought all cheese is processed.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    There are so many kinds of cheese - how can you eliminate all cheese? Parmesan. Mozzarella. Cheddar. Gorgonzola. Brie. Colby. Asiago. Swiss. Gruyere. Feda. Bleu.

Need I say more?

Oh, I love all the cheese you just listed. Real cheese, not this processed stuff.

If by processed you mean fermented, then yes.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »

Need I say more?

Fermenting is processing.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »

Need I say more?

Fermenting is processing.

So is chewing.

"Real cheese, not this processed stuff"

"this processed stuff" does not mean fermentation.
    It means mass producing plastic "cheese" like substances and calling them cheese.
    context is important.

• missjones513
    missjones513 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Cheese is awesome. I just get the 2% stuff.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You'd have to pry the cheese from my cold, dead hands.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    A life without pizza is just sad.

But for the love of cheese everywhere, please Just Say No to No Fat Cheese. That *kitten*'s nasty! :o
  • Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I would be so sad without cheese. For me, eliminating things I love always leads to problems in the future. If you can handle cheese in smaller quantities, I'd recommend that instead of eliminating it.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Nice username, OP. :ohwell: