Running on a treadmill 6 days a week...

Options

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    oilphins wrote: »
    To the two professional marathoners, Brian Sharpe and rebooted, I'm just telling her about my experience with running because of her dizziness. If you two want to run on an empty stomach and don't drink water, good for you but it makes absolutely no sense to do that. Have no idea where you get your energy from for your runs.Running on an empty stomach and no water is so ridiculous.

I think your advice is a little off as well. Most of the time I don't eat or drink anything ahead of a run. I don't like anything sloshing or bouncing around my belly. Unless it is going to be really hot out, I carry no water on short runs (short, to me is defined as less than 10 miles). Over that I will usually carry some water and maybe a gel or two if I am going past 18.

But for most of my short and easy runs? Nothing whatsoever. I'll eat afterwards. I'll drink afterwards. There is no need to fuel-up before a short run and as long as you stay hydrated as a matter of course, you don't need to drink anything before a run.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I sincerely apologize for my comment and it was not right, but doing long runs you do need energy in your system. There's a difference between getting up in the morning after sleeping for 8 hours and having had nothing to eat and go for a run as to eating throughout the day and running at say 4 or 5 in the afternoon because you have already eaten something all day. I didn't say eat and run right after. Anyone who's a runner, don't tell me you have ever slept all night and got up in the morning to do a LONG run and felt good or had much energy to keep up with your run without dying. A short run maybe but not a long one. Again I apologize for my comments earlier, but don't tell her I'm giving bad advice because it certainly isn't to tell someone to eat and drink water prior to a run then to have nothing. And Brian Sharpe your sarcasm is just as bad as I what I did and you don't know what else I do besides running. Your telling me I don't follow a training program? And I do longer runs on Saturdays and also cross train as well btw so don't comment with your sarcasm if you don't know the whole story my friend.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I sincerely apologize for my comment and it was not right, but doing long runs you do need energy in your system. There's a difference between getting up in the morning after sleeping for 8 hours and having had nothing to eat and go for a run as to eating throughout the day and running at say 4 or 5 in the afternoon because you have already eaten something all day. I didn't say eat and run right after. Anyone who's a runner, don't tell me you have ever slept all night and got up in the morning to do a LONG run and felt good or had much energy to keep up with your run without dying. A short run maybe but not a long one. Again I apologize for my comments earlier, but don't tell her I'm giving bad advice because it certainly isn't to tell someone to eat and drink water prior to a run then to have nothing. And Brian Sharpe your sarcasm is just as bad as I what I did and you don't know what else I do besides running. Your telling me I don't follow a training program? And I do longer runs on Saturdays and also cross train as well btw so don't comment with your sarcasm if you don't know the whole story my friend.

1. I'm not you friend.....
    2. I merely repeated your own words.Based on what you said one could reasonably infer that you were not following a training plan and there was no mention of long runs.
    3. What do you consider a long run? I and many other real runners I know will run up to 15 or 16km fasted and feel just fine afterward, it's simply a matter of training your body. Typically my diet consists of 50 to 60% carbs and I'll have days where I get up, run 10km, eat breakfast then ride my bike 20km to work (and then back home again) all without feeling exhausted, perhaps you need to revisit your diet. If you're fueling properly and have built up the aerobic capacity it's not that difficult.

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Before you go on any run whether it's outside or on the treadmill, always make sure your well hydrated and have lots of carbs and energy in your body. NEVER go for a run on an empty stomach or haven't had any water. I'm training for a marathon right now and run 10 to 12k everyday until the marathon. I went for one run about a month ago and that day didn't have time for lunch and it was the worst run I had ever done. I looked up some websites for you and a combination of low blood pressure and dizziness is being dehydrated, so always drink lots of water before and during your run.

You give really bad advice.

I run on an empty stomach all the time with zero problems.
    It's personal preference.

I've also run without drinking much water beforehand and don't bring any with me.

^^^ Yup.......90% of my runs are fasted. If you're eating properly during the day you'll have plenty of glycogen stored and I hate having water sloshing around in my stomach, I'll drink if the run is over 90 minutes or if the weather is really hot.

Ditto.

Runs longer than 90 minutes I'll either carry water or plan a route that has water. Shorter: virtually never take it. Sloshy belly not good!

I never use Gatorade and products like it.

If I do have anything before hand on a long run fast, first thing in the morning, it is likely not carbs - usually a small handful of almonds which won't do me much good during the ruin. I save my carbs for after.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Brian, You obviously don't see the sarcasm right back at you. Trust me I wouldn't wanna be your friend. And btw when I'm not training for a marathon I bike about 150-200k a week along with my running. And REAL runners NEVER go for long runs on an empty stomach. Thats so assinine it's not even funny. If your so much better than me and know everything I'd like to know what your best half marathon time is? If you've even done one. Yeah I'm not a real runner because I don't do LONG runs. I finished in the top 80 out out 4,000 runners two years ago buddy so don't try to tell me I'm not a real runner. And btw she said she was getting dizzy and after she had water, she felt better, so your going to say not to. Then everyone else got totally off the subject and was talking about fasting and not eating before runs. This is about her and not you or I. Been on this website for three years and can't stand people who butt their nose in and make comments about what other people comment about. Have a nice day BRIAN.
  • Becky_charles29
    Becky_charles29 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I run and cycle each week. For my runs (which are only 7 miles thus far), I eat 2 hours prior but it's personal preference. I feel very unwell if I eat too close to my run - I've tried and failed. Even when I was running up to 13 miles....I was fine eating 2 hours before. However, I cannot run on empty. I am appalling if I run before breakfast - a 5k can take an eternity! I think it's easier for pro runners to draw on their energy stores from fat rather than carbs which is why some can run on less than others. But it was trial and error for me. I would try different combinations of eating/hydration until you find what is best for you
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Before you go on any run whether it's outside or on the treadmill, always make sure your well hydrated and have lots of carbs and energy in your body. NEVER go for a run on an empty stomach or haven't had any water. I'm training for a marathon right now and run 10 to 12k everyday until the marathon. I went for one run about a month ago and that day didn't have time for lunch and it was the worst run I had ever done. I looked up some websites for you and a combination of low blood pressure and dizziness is being dehydrated, so always drink lots of water before and during your run.

You give really bad advice.

I run on an empty stomach all the time with zero problems.
    It's personal preference.

I've also run without drinking much water beforehand and don't bring any with me.

Thank you, ITA, that is me. I did it and ran an half marathon. Afterwards rehydrate and eat a good meal.
  • BrianSharpe
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Brian, You obviously don't see the sarcasm right back at you. Trust me I wouldn't wanna be your friend. And btw when I'm not training for a marathon I bike about 150-200k a week along with my running. And REAL runners NEVER go for long runs on an empty stomach. Thats so assinine it's not even funny. If your so much better than me and know everything I'd like to know what your best half marathon time is? If you've even done one. Yeah I'm not a real runner because I don't do LONG runs. I finished in the top 80 out out 4,000 runners two years ago buddy so don't try to tell me I'm not a real runner. And btw she said she was getting dizzy and after she had water, she felt better, so your going to say not to. Then everyone else got totally off the subject and was talking about fasting and not eating before runs. This is about her and not you or I. Been on this website for three years and can't stand people who butt their nose in and make comments about what other people comment about. Have a nice day BRIAN.

Are you training for a marathon (as per this thread) or for your 6th half-marathon (as per your 5 hour energy thread)? Funny how you keep bringing up "real runners" ..........and wanting to compare times, that's pretty "whip it out" pathetic.......now, whatever happened with the "ignore" button....

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    There have been a fair few studies done on fasting marathons and the pros and cons of them. I like to a fasted run once a week but I admit I'm a 10k runner not marathons.
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1440244010000733
    http://runnersconnect.net/coach-corner/marathon-long-runs-on-an-empty-stomach-or-fully-fueled/
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    oh boy- I'm not a real runner.

I have never run a marathon- and I never run more than 10 miles at a pop at this point in my life.

#notarealrunner

Please tell me what else we all aren't on this forum since you know us so well.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I always run fasted - no problem. I tend to run at dawn, and I'm not getting up any earlier just so I can have a snack and let it settle. And I don't take water with me unless it's unusually hot, in which case I won't run anyway because I live in Fresno, which is on the sun, and I hate running in the heat anyway. :tongue: Of course my average run is 3-5 miles, but I can go 6+ with no problems.

Fueling and hydration takes place the day before, and I've never had a problem heading out the door on an empty stomach. Guess I'm just one of those idiots. :lol:
  • glevinso
    Options
    OK So I must not be a "real runner" either since I just went back and checked my notes. I apparently don't bother eating anything before my long runs unless they are longer than 16 miles, in which case I have a powerbar about an hour beforehand.

Or maybe I have been running half and full marathons, half and full ironman races for years at this point and probably know what to do and how to train. Oh wait, some guy from the internet comes in and says what I do is wrong, then asks stupid questions in other threads related to the subject. Great...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    OK So I must not be a "real runner" either since I just went back and checked my notes. I apparently don't bother eating anything before my long runs unless they are longer than 16 miles, in which case I have a powerbar about an hour beforehand.

Or maybe I have been running half and full marathons, half and full ironman races for years at this point and probably know what to do and how to train. Oh wait, some guy from the internet comes in and says what I do is wrong, then asks stupid questions in other threads related to the subject. Great...

Best just give up now since you'll never be a "real" runner.

might as well quit so you don't get too disappointed.
  • jasonallenross
    jasonallenross Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I personally need *something* in my body before tackling a long run, ride or workout. If I'm doing an early morning thing, that's generally something really light like a banana or piece of toast, eaten about 30 minutes before I start. I generally work out at lunch, so everything from breakfast has plenty of time to digest.

For hydration, I have had kidney stones in the past, they are extremely unpleasant. If your family has a history of them you should probably hydrate more -- the urologist told me that summer is "kidney stone season", and mine showed up when I'd upped the intensity of my workouts by doing a morning boot camp a few days a week ... for which I was probably not drinking enough water.

That said, I don't take water with me less than an hour, as I always make sure I'm fully hydrated before I start, and then drink something immediately after. If I'm going over an hour I'll bring something along.

So, OP -- if you are getting dizzy you might want to try experimenting with having a light snack and hydrating more before you do your run. Everyone is different (and there's no need to be rude about it), and you need to listen to what your body is telling you. Dizziness is not a great sign. As for the quantity of your running, what is your body telling you? Are you constantly sore? Do your knees and joints hurt? Are you in pain? If so, you should probably come up with rest days or cross-train with something else. It's great to be competitive with your friends, but you aren't going to be able to compete if you push yourself too far and get injured.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm not a real runner either I guess since I do all my runs, including long runs, fasted. and all runs regardless of weather without water unless they are 90 minutes or longer. I have run an over 50 3:32 marathon and 1:35 half marathon and 20:06 5K and regularly am in at least the top 10% of every race I run. I suppose that means there are not very many real runners in my town.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Anyone who's a runner, don't tell me you have ever slept all night and got up in the morning to do a LONG run and felt good or had much energy to keep up with your run without dying.

21km long enough? Or 17km mountain trails?

Running fasted is my default for long training runs upwards of 90-120 minutes.

Please don't ever use the term "real runner" here ever again. It's condescending and insulting.

Every runner on MFP no matter what distance, speed, or weight is a real runner.

• BrianSharpe
    edited June 2015
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »

^^ For the win!

• glevinso
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Please don't ever use the term "real runner" here ever again. It's condescending and insulting.

Yes this. Although I might not consider you a "real runner" yet if you haven't either almost, or actually succeeded in crapping your shorts in the middle of a run :)
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,210 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Alright, alright - runner to runner, lets talk. The community guidelines have this little gem included (I mean, it's the very very first guideline and everything!)

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

The full list of community guidelines can be found here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Please, lets move on. Personal attacks are not okay on this site. Rather than attacking another poster, debate the ideas presented in their posts. It's not okay to mock others or call them names... And if you feel a post violates community guidelines, report it rather than reciprocating, as that is a no-no as well...

And to bring everyone back to the topic at hand, here is the OP:
    mizztara3 wrote: »
    I enjoy running and doing the Nike+ app and competing with friends. My goal is to stay at #1 lol so I typically run from 4 - 8 miles 6 days a week, sometimes throwing in a 10 mile run because I need to win the challenge. Now if you Google too much running, of course this bad stuff shows up but is it really a problem? If I run 5 miles a day, is that a big deal?

Also, ever since I started running I noticed my blood pressure gets low at times. Yesterday I was pretty dizzy later in the day, after running 8 miles. I realized I didn't drink much water and once I rested and drank a ton, I felt better. Is this normal with the blood pressure and do you think it was really the lack of water?

Appreciate any input. :smile:

If you'd like to start a new discussion regarding the merits of running fasted, please do. But this thread should be reserved for helping the OP.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    NEVER go for a run on an empty stomach or haven't had any water.

No need for the absolutes, lots of runners are fine fasted. Personally I'm comfortable to 10 miles fasted and no carrying water. It is important to adequeately fuel and it's been highlighted above that significant training in a deficit could easily lead to issues. I'd avoid suggesting what anyone MUST do.
    I'm training for a marathon right now and run 10 to 12k everyday until the marathon.

Never seen a training plan that doesn't include rest days, and most marathon plans I've seen have 10km as the short sessions.

That said, it does sound like the originator is aiming for an overuse injury. Not exxactly the perfomance objective I'd set for myself, but it might motivate others.